Has the size of serrations changed over the years?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: Has the size of serrations changed over the years?

Post by DougC-3 »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:51 am
Very cool that you have a nearby store where you can try before you buy.
I wish! it's actually about 50 miles away and I only make it over there about once or twice a year.

About serration size: for my purposes, the bigger the better. Maybe somebody with more experience like JD or Evil D could talk about the advantages of different sizes or patterns. I mean other than common sense, like obviously for angel food cake you'd want very fine serrations, etc.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:10 am

About serration size: for my purposes, the bigger the better. Maybe somebody with more experience like JD or Evil D could talk about the advantages of different sizes or patterns. I mean other than common sense, like obviously for angel food cake you'd want very fine serrations, etc.

I would like to try a pattern that has about 2x bigger small serrations and about 1/2 bigger large serrations, or maybe even a pattern of just large serrations. I think the benefit of smaller serrations like we have now is that they create more points which in theory makes the knife cut more aggressively. If you mellow them out too much it might defeat the purpose and leave you with an edge that's more like a Kris.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Outlaw Pete

Post by Outlaw Pete »

Great topic.
Definitely changed over the years.
Take the Military for example.
First batch had relatively shallow serrate with moderate teeth.
Gen two had wicked pointer serrations with slightly angled/raked teeth.
Modern versions seem to be somewhere in between.
Attachments
B78E12DC-9701-42D1-A1DC-5729266E07E5.jpeg
69AF190D-548F-40F3-A816-21F3B19110D3.jpeg