I'll take a handful...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: I'll take a handful...

Post by Woodpuppy »

Pretty sure that spyder logo is property of Spyderco and shouldn’t be duplicated without their approval. Don’t know whether copyright or trademark law applies here, perhaps both.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Please count me in for the magnets! While we’re on the topic, it would be sweet if we can get a Spyderco emblem with a magnet backer vs. lapel pin to attach to shirt collars, hats, etc. I love my Spyderco pin, but I’m not a big fan of punching holes in my shirts and hats.

Welcome aboard, Sj10. You’ve got some mad skills with the decals! Very cool stuff.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I was thinking red Spyderco bug on white background or variants of this. Was also thinking a heavy duty magnet that would hold thick card stock, photo paper, or multiple sheets of paper. Was thinking refrigerator, rolling tool chest, magnetic glass marker boards, and around the work desk if you happen to have something metal to attach to. Was thinking in the range of 3/4" to 1 1/4" diameter or both sizes for variety, clear acrylic bubble in front of graphic and the heavy duty magnet behind so it stands off the surface sufficiently (1/4" or better) to easily grasp.

I also like the idea of the lapel pins as refrigerator magnets but maybe scaled up ever so slightly.

Wasn't thinking of the flat magnetic material so many companies are using for advertising, but this may have a place somewhere.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:58 pm
I was thinking red Spyderco bug on white background or variants of this. Was also thinking a heavy duty magnet that would hold thick card stock, photo paper, or multiple sheets of paper. Was thinking refrigerator, rolling tool chest, magnetic glass marker boards, and around the work desk if you happen to have something metal to attach to. Was thinking in the range of 3/4" to 1 1/4" diameter or both sizes for variety, clear acrylic bubble in front of graphic and the heavy duty magnet behind so it stands off the surface sufficiently (1/4" or better) to easily grasp.

I also like the idea of the lapel pins as refrigerator magnets but maybe scaled up ever so slightly.

Wasn't thinking of the flat magnetic material so many companies are using for advertising, but this may have a place somewhere.

CG
OR (thinking out loud/brainstorming) ... maybe it could be a kit of multiple refrigerator magnet pieces where each piece is a cool stand alone piece, but also where all the pieces could be grouped together to make a really cool large piece. I think one may refer to it as a gestalt mosaic of sorts. Just a concept for now, don't have ideas as to what the individual pieces are and what the big picture is. So sorry... :(

CG
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:19 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:58 pm

CG
OR (thinking out loud/brainstorming) ... maybe it could be a kit of multiple refrigerator magnet pieces where each piece is a cool stand alone piece, but also where all the pieces could be grouped together to make a really cool large piece. I think one may refer to it as a gestalt mosaic of sorts. Just a concept for now, don't have ideas as to what the individual pieces are and what the big picture is. So sorry... :(

CG
OK ... I do have an idea! :rolleyes: :p Will need to sit with this a while and see how it develops and what else pops into my head...

CG
Sj10

Post by Sj10 »

I can make them from colored metal. Hand cut and hand handmade 😃 They would have a heavy duty round magnet on the back and be about 2 to 2.5”. I can make a sample this weekend. I have several different colors in stock.
Sj10

Post by Sj10 »

Sorry I meant 1.5to 2”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

This is a truly great idea. Bug shaped magnets, in various colors, would probably be the most universally popular, but magnets the size and shape of an opened Ladybug, Cricket, Dragonfly, and other smaller Spydercos would be really cool.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sj10

Post by Sj10 »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:46 am
This is a truly great idea. Bug shaped magnets, in various colors, would probably be the most universally popular, but magnets the size and shape of an opened Ladybug, Cricket, Dragonfly, and other smaller Spydercos would be really cool.
I can do that 😊
Sj10

Post by Sj10 »

They would look like this but be the spyderco logo
CAC2BDF8-45F0-4F5C-8F4B-EC1531250916.jpeg
D1228E32-72E3-4D3B-B336-3B0389342481.jpeg
Sj10

Post by Sj10 »

And here are the colors I can do. These are metal.
D922F4C6-8778-4CBC-9CE8-0DAF341706CE.jpeg
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Sj10 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:29 am
And here are the colors I can do. These are metal.

D922F4C6-8778-4CBC-9CE8-0DAF341706CE.jpeg
Hi, Sj10:
Welcome to our forum. I need to jump in and reiterate Sal's comment. We'll look into magnets, but we cannot authorize you to make them. We have a strict protocol in place for use of our IP and it must be followed. I'd hate to see you waste your time, so with our requirements in mind, please don't make any additional samples or items.

We appreciate your support. Make it a good day!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I think think this is a great idea! I'd definitely buy a handful of Spyderco magnets for my fridge! Spyderco-authorized of course.. ;)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..