River's Edge PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Re: River's Edge PM2

Post by Dazen »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:44 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:41 am
Anyone have word on how the coating holds up?

I've asked this a few times. I've come to the conclusion that no one wants to use a knife worth $550 on the secondary market. :eek:

If I was able to get one I would’ve let y’all know. There are no safe queens here! I view this knife as a $170 PM2, and I’ll use it as such. To buy a knife an not use it is something I just don’t understand. I can think of a lot better retirement plans. As for flippers, until people stop paying those stupid prices it will always happen.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:58 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:44 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:

I've asked this a few times. I've come to the conclusion that no one wants to use a knife worth $550 on the secondary market. :eek:

If I was able to get one I would’ve let y’all know. There are no safe queens here! I view this knife as a $170 PM2, and I’ll use it as such. To buy a knife an not use it is something I just don’t understand. I can think of a lot better retirement plans. As for flippers, until people stop paying those stupid prices it will always happen.

Yep, mine was going to be a user. Guess we will find out when the next batch comes in.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
My Para 3 has held up fine, would look new if I cleaned it probably. I carry it semi often, use it to open boxes, cut cardboard, zip ties, and paracord. It's not my camp knife so it's not hard use though. If I didn't know it I would think it was just like the other DLC knives.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Well, that's good to hear. I may be interested in the eventual Shaman exclusive...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
robis1923

Post by robis1923 »

Oloung1 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:07 pm
robis1923 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:32 pm
I take no issue with someone making a profit from the sale of a product, especially if the proceeds are used to fund their hobby, but I do think it is absurd that people are selling items before they purchase or posses them. Those individuals deserve every bit of negative press they receive on eBay or whatever other platform their sales are going thru.
I'm as new to the knife world as when quarantine started this year and as a complete noob, it's off putting to compete with Flippers. I understand there are always going to be Users, Collectors and Flippers but just casually observing the recent drops paints a picture that it's accepted and even encouraged in certain online communities - for years. I get the $10-$50 markup when when we are talking triple digit markups, that's getting into the danger zone.

It's pretty sad to see many of the Users on this forum miss out on a cool steel and color combo. I had no intentions purchasing one but at the same time, even though everyone here is taking their licks in stride, it's tough to read very few ended up with a tracked purchase.

Hope you all get your allocations soon and we get to see more shots of this knife.
Everything that is desirable and limited production will attract flippers. I try to snag limited items I want when I can, or I try to negotiate a fair price on things I miss out on. If I feel I am being taken advantage of, I pass.

Believe it or not, Spyderco sprints are fairly easy to attain direct from the distributor. Things like cars, watches and custom knives add several layers to the purchase process that make them too difficult to attain.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I asked the Bearded Guy (from the YouTube video that was linked a few pages back) about how the PVD coating held up after he did some hard use with it. He said it seemed as tough as any DLC softie he’s used before.

Here’s a link to a picture he posted showing it after a lot of use. It shows wear but he said it cleaned up really well: https://www.instagram.com/p/CECnSkeDWK0 ... _copy_link
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Feeling like a lottery winner I received my REC PM2 today, (after USPS sent it on a side trip from Columbus to Pittsburgh before it went back to Columbus and then to Nashville :eek:)
It's got 2077 miles on it, I'm going to have to change the oil. Sentry Tuff Glide.
I was surprised to see a date code of LS (12/2019)?
Last edited by CXXX on Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

CXXX wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:06 pm
Feeling like a lottery winner I received my REC PM2 today, (after USPS sent it on a side trip from Columbus to Pittsburgh before it went back to Columbus and then to Nashville :eek:) I was surprised to see a date code of LS (12/2019)?

Congrats! Yeah, they said these were supposed to drop in January but there were QC issues with the PVD. So that's probably why the date is older.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:10 pm
CXXX wrote:
Feeling like a lottery winner I received my REC PM2 today, (after USPS sent it on a side trip from Columbus to Pittsburgh before it went back to Columbus and then to Nashville :eek:) I was surprised to see a date code of LS (12/2019)?

Congrats! Yeah, they said these were supposed to drop in January but there were QC issues with the PVD. So that's probably why the date is older.

I do wonder if that means the next batch will be sooner than later. A year apart may put it a few months away!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:50 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
CXXX wrote:

I do wonder if that means the next batch will be sooner than later. A year apart may put it a few months away!

Hopefully. I have a feeling the next few batches are "reserved" if they sold out after 5 minutes but had the listing up for 20+ minutes
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:06 pm
Dazen wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:50 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
CXXX wrote:

Hopefully. I have a feeling the next few batches are "reserved" if they sold out after 5 minutes but had the listing up for 20+ minutes
I'm wondering if they will hold out for a very large batch, since the email I got from them stated that anyone who was refunded because of the overselling issue, would get a knife next run.
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

I just received mine yesterday and will definitely be using it. I don’t care about the ridiculous inflated prices especially if they said they’re going to continue to produce this variant. This coating feels a lot like a DLC. I don’t have any concerns about it holding up to use. However, the distal taper on mine becomes extremely severe as you approach the 2nd half of the blade. Looking down the spine you can see the angle change. It left a super thin tip, which I’m not too crazy about...I guess time will tell if my concerns are warranted. That being said, this is easily my favorite color combo yet! I already sanded the G10 under the clip and it won’t be leaving my pocket for a long time! Thanks to REC and always to Spyderco!
AmpliFyre

Post by AmpliFyre »

my tracking is still stuck in pre-shipment. =/

update: from preshipment to out for delivery
Last edited by AmpliFyre on Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

hovan2yourknives wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:25 am
I just received mine yesterday and will definitely be using it. I don’t care about the ridiculous inflated prices especially if they said they’re going to continue to produce this variant. This coating feels a lot like a DLC. I don’t have any concerns about it holding up to use. However, the distal taper on mine becomes extremely severe as you approach the 2nd half of the blade. Looking down the spine you can see the angle change. It left a super thin tip, which I’m not too crazy about...I guess time will tell if my concerns are warranted. That being said, this is easily my favorite color combo yet! I already sanded the G10 under the clip and it won’t be leaving my pocket for a long time! Thanks to REC and always to Spyderco!
Glad to hear that some people plan on using the things.

Do you have another PM2 to compare the distal taper to?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bts327

Post by bts327 »

Just thought I'd chime in here.

I received my copy in the mail today. Compared to the BBS K390, which is the only other PM2 I currently own, there is virtually no discernible difference in blade geometry. It is a PM2 after all. I really like OD green handle color, and prefer it to the ranger green on the K390 model. This is the first coated blade I've ever owned, but I think I may have gotten the bug and will probably seek out other variants with DLC coating in the future. I really like the all black hardware.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Received mine over the weekend, really happy with it! Been looking forward to this knife for a long time and everything looks great. This thread needs some pics!

Album with more pictures: https://imgur.com/a/JfrqL38
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Wright.88 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:52 pm
That looks really nice, and I bet the fit and finish is stellar.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wright.88 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:52 pm
This thread needs some pics!
Yours looks great!

I accidentally put a heavy patina on mine :(

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Something about the blade and hardware not matching really kicks my OCD up a notch on this one.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wonder when the next batch of these is coming for the folks who are reserved one from the last sale??