Chaparral SE ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Chaparral SE ?!

Post by Wartstein »

Every time I use my great Chap FRN I wish there´d be a serrated version of it...

Serrations in that thin, 2mm, ffg blade, especially when done shallow and not too aggressive must be amazing (I don´t think any other ffg Spyderco comes with such a thin blade? Or perhaps ONE I can´t recall right now? (Not the Centofante, it is sabre / hollow))

The closest to such a model would probably the 2.5 mm ffg Wharnie Delica or the 2.5 mm ffg Dragonfly, but a Chap SE could perhaps even increase their cutting performance in many tasks.

Who else would like to see a Chap SE ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tonijedi

Re: Chaparral SE ?!

Post by tonijedi »

My funds are very limited and I decided I'm only buying from the Salt line.
So, if it's a Salt I may be interested :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I haven't bought a Chaparral yet but a SE version would seal the deal. Let's just go all in for a SE Chaparral Salt in LC200N.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’d be forced to pick up an SE version. I don’t know if it’s necessary — the PE version is quite capable — but it would possibly be the ultimate edge junky knife.
JMM

Post by JMM »

+1 +1 +1
I am in 100%, I absolutely love the Chaparral, and at the suggestion of Wartstein I just got the SE Wharncliffe Delica and I could not be happier with it's cutting performance, if a beast was made that married those two knives, with a thin XHP Wharncliffe SE blade, it would be in my pocket every single day.... I generally have a Shaman or Manix2 in my right pocket, and in my left I generally rotate between either the FRN Chap, my newly acquired SE Wharnie Delica, or my s90v Delica... I would shelve all three and just keep such a beast with me daily I'd wager!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:51 pm
+1 +1 +1
I am in 100%, I absolutely love the Chaparral, and at the suggestion of Wartstein I just got the SE Wharncliffe Delica and I could not be happier with it's cutting performance, if a beast was made that married those two knives, with a thin XHP Wharncliffe SE blade, it would be in my pocket every single day.... I generally have a Shaman or Manix2 in my right pocket, and in my left I generally rotate between either the FRN Chap, my newly acquired SE Wharnie Delica, or my s90v Delica... I would shelve all three and just keep such a beast with me daily I'd wager!

Glad you support the proposal of a Chap SE ! :)

/ And: I probably DID suggest a DelicaWharnie to you... funny thing is: I don´t have one myself... :D
I just can derive from its thin blade, my general experience with Spydercos SE in thinner ffg blades, and by looking at its serration pattern that it MUST be a great cutter...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JMM

Post by JMM »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:38 pm
JMM wrote:
+1 +1 +1

/ And: I probably DID suggest a DelicaWharnie to you... funny thing is: I don´t have one myself... :D
I just can derive from its thin blade, my general experience with Spydercos SE in thinner ffg blades, and by looking at its serration pattern that it MUST be a great cutter...
You did indeed suggest it, you said either that or the Endela SE would be a great call, so I took your advice. You have become my default source of serration information, as you certainly know a ton more about it than I do, and I could not be happier with my new SE Wharnie Delica, it is such an amazing cutting tool! In a thinner stock with XHP, ohhh man, it would be in my pocket at all times that I wasn't using it or in bed asleep! :)

Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:38 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:38 pm
JMM wrote:

You did indeed suggest it, you said either that or the Endela SE would be a great call, so I took your advice. You have become my default source of serration information, as you certainly know a ton more about it than I do, and I could not be happier with my new SE Wharnie Delica, it is such an amazing cutting tool! In a thinner stock with XHP, ohhh man, it would be in my pocket at all times that I wasn't using it or in bed asleep! :)

Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe!
Bitte gerne! ;)

And thanks for the kind words my friend, but please don´t take ME as "your default source of serration information"!

I am not "humble bragging" here, it is just a fact that I know very LITTLE about serrations compared to many others on this forum (David / Evil D (look at this amzingly informative thread of his: viewtopic.php?t=84985), JD Spydo, Vivi (no longer active here) come to mind immidiately, but there are many, many more).

Actually I got deeper into Spydercos serrations just quite recently, and while I am very enthusiastic and convinced by there performance, I actually have tried just very few SE Spydies myself!
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Well, don't sell yourself too short, I certainly have learned a whole bunch from you about it... and whole bunch about all kinds of things from lots of awesome folks here. I can't really explain to you or myself, or anyone else for that matter why I've been so "in the dark" about serrated edges al this time, I love knives, different steels, learning about metallurgy, using knives, collecting them, learning the mechanics of how different ones work, etc, etc, etc... somehow so much about this part of the knife world has just quietly passing me by... well NO MORE darnit to heck ;) :)

Ich schätze wirklich all die Dinge, die du mir beigebracht hast!
carrot

Post by carrot »

I too would like to see it in SE. Right now the Chaparral gets no pocket time because I'm focused on SE models.

CTS XHP is awesome. I don't need it to be a Salt. But I wouldn't say no to a LC200N model, either.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

carrot wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:20 am
I too would like to see it in SE. Right now the Chaparral gets no pocket time because I'm focused on SE models.

CTS XHP is awesome. I don't need it to be a Salt. But I wouldn't say no to a LC200N model, either.

+1 on everything you say (except MY Chap get´s pocket time, but an SE version would get even more.. ;) )

And, Carrot, just did a search I should have done before starting this thread, for you did already the same (staring a Chap SE thread): viewtopic.php?t=79603

But at that time I wasn´t even a member of this forum ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:23 am
Well, don't sell yourself too short, I certainly have learned a whole bunch from you about it... and whole bunch about all kinds of things from lots of awesome folks here. I can't really explain to you or myself, or anyone else for that matter why I've been so "in the dark" about serrated edges al this time, I love knives, different steels, learning about metallurgy, using knives, collecting them, learning the mechanics of how different ones work, etc, etc, etc... somehow so much about this part of the knife world has just quietly passing me by... well NO MORE darnit to heck ;) :)

Ich schätze wirklich all die Dinge, die du mir beigebracht hast!

Kind words once more... ;) Though you most likely learned just the few things from me that I learned beforehand from others who know a lot more than I do about serrations!

Regardless, important thing is that you obviously discovered how underrated or even wrongly seen Spydercos serrations sometimes are and how great they perform (in most models / patterns at least)

And I want to point out again:
If you want to learn a ton about serrations by reading just one post (more a greatly written articel), go to Davids thread and write up about the topic:
viewtopic.php?t=84985

For me that text taught me many things or rather explained to me why certain serrations patterns work so amazingly (Endela SE..),something I just felt and experienced in practice, but had no complete theoretic foundation for.

Another great thread on sharpening serrations: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544

Und: Dein Deutsch ist wirklich gut!! Wo hast Du es gelernt?

Viele Gruesse, Gernot