Most comfortable spyderco hole / spyderco folder for large hands that isn’t part of the “ military “ series?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holocene Extinction

Re: Most comfortable spyderco hole / spyderco folder for large hands that isn’t part of the “ military “ series?

Post by Holocene Extinction »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:28 pm
Holocene Extinction wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:25 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:09 pm
I still stand by a Manix. Many different models and scale materials ranging from $100-$180ish. Good size knife, large hole.
Beautiful knife, I just know I would have to explain the switch on the handle, which scares a lot of folk (idiots will think it’s an assisted folder.)

I own the yojimbo, I just don’t stroll around with it, I’ll probably pick up the manix one day
It's not a switch though, it's a caged ball bearing lock. Kind of like the axis lock from Benchmade in terms of looks from the outside. How many people would see your knife while in use? In pocket, chances are nobody would even notice.

I understand completely.

Others wouldn’t know, even police here don’t carry good knives. Easy to just go with something I know won’t turn a head, which seems to be the Stretch. Funny enough there is no blade length limit. Just everything else to discourage people.

Sounds stupid I know. Don’t shoot the messenger. But dumber things have happened.
kennethsime

Re: Most comfortable spyderco hole / spyderco folder for large hands that isn’t part of the “ military “ series?

Post by kennethsime »

Just chiming in the say that the Stretch was my first Spyderco and still one of my favorites. Definitely get one. I like the Straight Spine version even better, and waited the better part of 10 years for it. But the drop point is still great. I have L/XL hands and think it's pretty much the comfiest knife around. You won't regret it!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Holocene Extinction

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:51 pm
Just chiming in the say that the Stretch was my first Spyderco and still one of my favorites. Definitely get one. I like the Straight Spine version even better, and waited the better part of 10 years for it. But the drop point is still great. I have L/XL hands and think it's pretty much the comfiest knife around. You won't regret it!
Snagged Stretch 2 g-10 Version from bladeHQ.

Love everything about it on paper. Will see in a few days.
Holocene Extinction

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:36 pm
Is the Stretch big enough for you?
I ended up going with the stretch 2.

Thank you for your post.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:36 pm
Is the Stretch big enough for you?
I ended up going with the stretch 2.

Thank you for your post.
Awesome! Enjoy
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:10 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:51 pm
Snagged Stretch 2 g-10 Version from bladeHQ.

Love everything about it on paper. Will see in a few days.

Great choice!!

Some points on your previous questions concerning the Stretch:

- The Stretch 2 (each version) is GREAT for larger hands, even better than the disc.Stretch 1
- You are right, the distance between hand and opening hole is a bit shorter on the straight spine sprint run, due to it having a shorter choil in the blade part (that also places the opening hole a tad closer to the handle)
- The G10 version of the Stretch 2 has one (for me) big advantage: For whatever reason a LONGER blade (and by that more cutting edge) than the FRN version of the Stretch 2 (3.57 vs 3.43)
- The (very slight) disadvantages (again, for me) of the G10 Stretch 2: Heavier; and as almost always the case with G10 vs FRN not contoured on the handle.
- ZDP was a bit hard to sharpen to me at the time I had a ZDP Spydie. But I am sure that would be different today, since I improved my skills a bit and have CBN rods for the SM.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tyd450

Post by tyd450 »

I have 2xl-3xl sized hands, the manix and pm2 are just a tad too small for me to grip comfortably without using the choil. The military works well for my hand, but the Native Chief is the absolute best and it's not close. The police 4 fit my hand too but I went through 4 of them and they all had QC issues. Get yourself a native chief for sure. Another plus is the fact that it doesn't have the abrupt thumb ramp like the military series knives do, so it is more of a neutral grip that will work better for more people. This is why I prefer the Sage 5 over the Para 3 as well.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I have XL hands hands and the Manix 2 and Military are my two favorite models. Since you cannot have the Military, the Manix 2 is a great choice. The Manix 2 has the best ergonomics of any Spyderco IMO.

I have no experience with the Manix 2 XL. Never held one.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Spyderco Caribbean is the answer. Not only is it the best, but it's the exact opposite of what a "dangerous" knife looks like.

You will not be disappointed!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:30 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:57 pm
Manix 2 is excellent in my XL hands.

My concern with the manix 2 is that switch in the handle.

At first I thought it was some form of assisted opening, but further research tells me it’s part of some locking mechanism?

Can the knife be flung open by that switch or just disengaged?

Laws here have a lot of interpretation and bullscrap
That’s just the locking mechanism/detent, it doesn’t open the knife or act as an assist although if you pull it back you can open the knife with gravity or a flick of the wrist. If you’re familiar with Benchmade’s axis lock, it’s the same idea but a little stiffer and less likely to fail (I’m not talking trash, I love the axis lock too but the ball bearing lock takes fragile omega springs out of the equation).