Uncomfortably sharp Spydie hole

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hardbawl

Uncomfortably sharp Spydie hole

Post by Hardbawl »

Recently purchased a Native 5 with a Cruwear blade. This is an beautiful made knife with only one flaw. The Spydie Hole is sharp. I thought: Hey, I can fix this. I dug out a tool that is used to de-burr cartridge cases. This tool, made of "hardened tool steel", didn't touch edge of the Spydie Hole. The Cruwear must be exceedingly hard. (Spyderco doesn't tell us mere mortals how hard). So, my question is: How do you get rid of the sharp edge of the Spydie Hole? Thank you in advance for your help.
The Deacon

Re: Uncomfortably sharp Spydie hole

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco intentionally leave the edge of the Spyderhole "crisp". If it's too crisp for your tastes, I've found that a piece of fine wet or dry sandpaper or crocus cloth, draped over the rouned end of a broom handle, does the trick.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I used the end of the fine sharp maker rod on mine, just make sure the hook sharpening divot is straight up because if it's facing in the hole it can scratch the blade around the hole. Ask me how I know lol
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hardbawl,

The crisp edge on the hole isn't a flaw, it's intentional. Back in the 90's we did a bit of experimenting with this and found that chamfers on holes impeded opening because the thumb could slip out of the hole more easily. Easier to remove the crisp edge from the hole than to add a crisp edge to a chamfer. Don't take off too much.

sal
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

THANK YOU! Used the Sharpmaker stone. It worked! Why didn't I think of that. Now an exceptional knife is perfect Only kissed the edge a wee bit.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

An alternate plan would be to take a piece of 60 grit sandpaper and rub the thumb pad you open the knife. Do this daily for a week or two then reduce the frequency to as needed touch ups. The callous that develops will protect you from the crisp edge of the hole. LOL.
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

I use a small round file. It takes me less than a minute on both sides. I do this because I have a habit of opening and closing over and over when I'm bored. Then I'll get another Spydie and start flicking that.

I will also take the round file to the sharp edges of the FRN were the blade drops.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I use a round chainsaw file and use it on all Spyderco"s.
But, it was designed to be sharp? Maybe a new carreer in the political arena?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I actually sharpen my thumb holes when they're not crisp enough for my liking. But, if you want it smoothed out and you have a Sharpmaker, just run the brown rods around the edge and they'll easily smooth it out (carefully, don't slip out of the hole and scratch the blade). If you don't have a Sharpmaker you can probably use the corner of a bench stone too. I'd be really careful with sandpaper, it's easy to fold it off of just the very edge of the hole and accidentally sand the flat side of the blade around the hole.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’ve used a Sharpmaker rod to slightly pull the edge of an opening hole that was too sharp. It takes very little to get it right. A nice crisp edge on the hole makes opening the knife very easy.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

When I bought my very first Spyder I thought the hole was rather sharp too. There’s was no burr so I kind of figured it must be that way for a reason.

I was tempted to break the “sharp” edge but bitter experience has taught me that what seems like a good idea at any given time may well bite me on the butt down the track so I left it alone and I’m glad I did. Today I wouldn’t have it any other way and find like any edge if you use it long enough it’ll blunten. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:36 am
Hi Hardbawl,

The crisp edge on the hole isn't a flaw, it's intentional. Back in the 90's we did a bit of experimenting with this and found that chamfers on holes impeded opening because the thumb could slip out of the hole more easily. Easier to remove the crisp edge from the hole than to add a crisp edge to a chamfer. Don't take off too much.

sal
Copy that! Thank you.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve never felt that the Spydiehole on any of my Spydercos was too sharp.

I still own an early Benchmade Griptilian with the oval opening hole. That hole was “chamfered” or smoothed out along the edge, and I never felt comfortable opening it, as it felt as if my thumb would slip out.

I recall on another forum, someone saying their Spydiehole was so sharp it cut (or could cut) their thumb. Honestly, I can’t imagine any opening hole being that sharp, unless possibly there was some burring left over.

Jim
FK

Post by FK »

Deburr the sharp edge on hole,,, on one of my very early Delica 4 knives, I over did the chamfer,,,, agree that it is very easy to make it more difficult to get a nice purchase on the hole for opening. I keep the knife on my desk as a reminder not to mess up any more in my collection.

Regards,
FK