Production Cruwear? (or other tool steel)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Production Cruwear? (or other tool steel)

Post by VooDooChild »

Just curious if anyone else would be interested in having cruwear or something similar as a production option for Golden made knives. Or other factories as well I just see Golden more than likely giving us that option.

If we are worried about keeping sprint owners happy then how about production pd1(i think?) instead?

Spyderco has used cruwear a number of times over the years and does a very good job with it. Im aware that stainless is the go to for most production knives but Spyderco is also all about giving people options as well. When I look at the Golden lineup it seems like outside of base s30v, and salt lc200n, all the other steel options revolve around wear resistance. (s90v, s110v, maxamet, etc)

I have my salts for when I need them. I have plenty of base model stainless both in vg10 and s30v. And I already have some s110v. But outside of salt use, when I think about my edc, I think I would prefer a steel option that leans more towards toughness/strength than outright wear resistance. Basically I dont cut cardboard all day, but I might do something likely to damage the edge or blade.

Im aware k390 will be production on japanese knives but even then Im not sure that steel doesnt prioritize wear resistance over toughness.

I guess Im just saying I would like for there to be a production steel option to choose from that is more about toghness/strength than cutting forever. Given the great balance cruwear has across the board it seems like a good candidate.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sharp Guy

Re: Production Cruwear? (or other tool steel)

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've seen people ask for regular production Cruwear knives before (Shaman?, Military?). So I'm sure it would be popular with knife AFI's. I already have some of my favorite models with Cruwear blades. So I don't really need any more at the moment but you never know. Thing is, if they do decide to use Cruwear for regular production which model do they choose? Shaman seems like a likely choice but Cruwear is nice in other models too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

K390 has a lot more edge strength than CPM Cru-Wear, at least in the context of Spyderco's heat treatment. And edge strength is better than "toughness".

Cru-Wear is fine but personally I don't have any great desire to see it added to regular production.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I think the K390 line that's in the works may scratch that itch
Justin :spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd rather have (in my preference order) Maxamet, 4v, K390 or Rex45 than Cruwear.
Last edited by TomAiello on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JustinB wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:41 am
I think the K390 line that's in the works may scratch that itch
Is K390 coming to the Golden models too, not just Seki?

K390 Manix sounds like heaven to me. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If the idea is to get edge stability and general toughness, I'd love to see 4v become the Golden counterpart to the Seki K390. I think 4v has the current buzz to sell well, too, given it's success in blade sports.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

4v would also be great. We have balanced base steels. We have options for extreme corrosion resistance. And we have options for wear resistance. I would like one production option for toughness.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:49 am
If the idea is to get edge stability and general toughness, I'd love to see 4v become the Golden counterpart to the Seki K390. I think 4v has the current buzz to sell well, too, given it's success in blade sports.
Now this is what I'd like to see!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I agree. 4v or cruwear, something along those lines. Tougher, still easy to sharpen. I think cruwear has the advantage of being slightly more rust resistant, but either would suit me.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I like the idea, I have a Shaman & Manix2 in Cruwear and I absolutely love it... I would love to see more of it, although I will confess I'd prefer 4v a bit more, my obsession with Rex45 is pretty well satisfied at this point as I have the PM2, Para3, and TreeRex, and plan to swoop a Manix2 and Chief when they arrive.... but 4v, oh yes, please, please we need so much more of it. (And Cruwear would be cool too...) (also stoked about all the k390 OTW)

Cheers,

John
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Would 3V work? Some here have been asking for it but it doesn't seem to happen.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’d be very surprised to see any tool steel get the nod for production models.

Given SPY27’s creation, I’m wondering if it has shown improvement over S30V and will thus become the default production steel for Golden and Taichung, such that Spyderco will say the masses get a better production steel and we keep mass-production runs simple, except of course for the rich variety of designs.

Indeed, I suspect production models like the K390 Police4 and Maxamet PM2 will become fewer and farther between, and that risk of tool steels will be increasingly offered to distributors/dealers when Spyderco chooses not to sprint tool steels.

I’d love to be proven wrong. Based on my Manix2 and Shaman sprints, Cruwear certainly satisfies me. What little it lacks in edge-stability, it gives back in sharpening response.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:05 pm
Would 3V work? Some here have been asking for it but it doesn't seem to happen.
I feel like 3v no longer has the "new shiny" appeal, and might have trouble from a marketing perspective. Cruwear definitely has it, and I bet 4v would also.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I think the argument against 3v is that it also lacks the edge strength of other steels, while the gain in toughness isn't that useful in a folder
JMM

Post by JMM »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:21 pm
I think the argument against 3v is that it also lacks the edge strength of other steels, while the gain in toughness isn't that useful in a folder
Having had then sold the Tuff, 3V is an interesting steel to try out, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by it, I think 4V is a far better folder steel...
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I’d love to see Cruwear in production models!
I’d probably buy one of each model, just because of how much I enjoy that steel.

I’d love to see 4v as well.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

yes production cruwear. if it needs to replace any steel i vote the maxamet to go and instead have cruwear in production.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yes to production Cruwear. In both Golden and Seki. A production Cruwear Delica would be awesome and would allow the masses to get this awesome steel in an amazing model for $100 or so. Cruwear Endura, Endelas, Police Laws, Straight Spine Stretches, Dragonflies, etc would all be big hits as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

put me down for yes on production cruwear. It doesn't dissolve in my pocket like some other less-than-stainless steels do....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!