KO5SRD Paring knife vs ZCut Paring knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

KO5SRD Paring knife vs ZCut Paring knife

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve used both of these knives extensively in the kitchen. Both are great, but different. The red KO5 with its MBS26 blade is much more heavy duty than the thin BD1N bladed ZCut.

Here are roasts and onions cut up by the knives.

The ZCut’s blade is thin and flexible like a filet knife. It is easy to cut thin slices of roast and onions. However, a tough roast can cause the blade to flex.

The KO5 has a thicker blade but not so thick paper thin slices of onion can’t be cut. It goes through roast quite well, but it is not as good as the ZCut for thinner slices. The heavier blade goes through tough material easier, however.

The BD1N of the ZCut has never shown any rust, at all. The MBS26 will readily rust if left wet over night or in contact with other metal.

Both hold an edge well.

I think the ZCut works better for a true paring knife and the KO5 is a great utility knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Re: KO5SRD Paring knife vs ZCut Paring knife

Post by The Meat man »

Great comparison Doc, thank you!

I've yet to try out a Z-Cut but I'd like to someday. They look like great knives for the money.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
araneae

Post by araneae »

The serrated zcut is an impressive slicer, but it does flex on denser foods. It will cut a baguette if you plunge the tip into the crust and then make the cut. I don't have a PE for comparison, but I'd guess that even if I did I'd prefer the SE. I can't wait for homegrown tomatoes to slice.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

araneae wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:14 pm
The serrated zcut is an impressive slicer, but it does flex on denser foods. It will cut a baguette if you plunge the tip into the crust and then make the cut. I don't have a PE for comparison, but I'd guess that even if I did I'd prefer the SE. I can't wait for homegrown tomatoes to slice.
It does a stellar job on tomatoes. Actually, both do. Both work on soft bread but the KO5 works best on breads with hard crusts.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050