Can some steels be bad for our health ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: Can some steels be bad for our health ?

Post by The Deacon »

Nemo3000 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:12 am
The Deacon wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:20 am
Am assuming none of those who worry about the toxicity of trace metals in steel have ever shot on an indoor range, parked in a parking garage, driven behind a bus or diesel powered truck, walked on a busy city street, been exposed to second had tobacco smoke (or, God forbid, smoked tobacco themselves), filled their car's gas tank on a hot day, or done any one of a thousand other things that expose them to toxic substances in far greater quantity than using and maintaining their personal and kitchen knives ever will.

Tobacco ? Gaz station ? Diesel micro partcules ? Indoors shooting ranges ? The smell of napalm in the morning ?
Why not nuclear wastes ? Coronavirus ? High tension power line ? Bayer Monsanto spread chemicals ? Dental amalgam ?
Could we even consider the toxicity of any long relationship with my mother in law ?

I'd say all those things, with the possible exception of your MIL, ;) fall under the umbrella of "any one of a thousand other things".

My point was merely that there's a not so fine line between sensible caution and crippling paranoia and, to me at least, concern about the health implications of the various toxic metals used in many steels falls on the crippling paranoia side of that line. The only exceptions to that might be amateur, professional, and commercial knife makers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

To prevent knife steels from affecting your health, don't eat them. ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:14 pm
We have to put warning labels on our products because they might be sold in California and there is sever punishment for not warning the people about the danger of the chemicals in our products.

sal

It's really a shame the extremes California has taken Prop. 65 labeling. Those warning labels have become so ubiquitous that, like the little boy who cried wolf, people will ignore them when they're on something that's truly dangerous.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:18 am
sal wrote:
We have to put warning labels on our products because they might be sold in California and there is sever punishment for not warning the people about the danger of the chemicals in our products.

sal

It's really a shame the extremes California has taken Prop. 65 labeling. Those warning labels have become so ubiquitous that, like the little boy who cried wolf, people will ignore them when they're on something that's truly dangerous.
It's really true. My husband and I joke all the time that we'd never be able to run our remodeling business in CA because apparently half the materials we use cause cancer there!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:26 am
The Deacon wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:18 am
sal wrote:

sal

It's really true. My husband and I joke all the time that we'd never be able to run our remodeling business in CA because apparently half the materials we use cause cancer there!
I know of 3 businesses that have left California. Back in the 2003 Blade Show I got to meet the late "Chuck Buck" of BUCK knife company. It was close to that time that BUCK left California for a handful of reasons. They went to the state of Idaho so they could run their business without breaking several laws :rolleyes: It is as though California is self destructing in the past 10 years or so. Chuck Buck told me that about half the knives they were making were illegal for Californians to own. He also told me that the Idaho taxes were almost 75% cheaper than they were in CA. And look how long BUCK operated there

The California standards for food being organic are so ridiculous that I no longer even acknowledge foods that are labeled with California standards. Just the way they are letting the homeless take over the city of San Francisco is so outrageous it's almost laughable. It's truly sad to see the state self destroy in so many ways. I wouldn't even go there now for even a visit even if somebody paid me. Yeah it's that bad out there now :(
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:27 am
Nemo3000 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:12 am
The Deacon wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:20 am
Am assuming none of those who worry about the toxicity of trace metals in steel have ever shot on an indoor range, parked in a parking garage, driven behind a bus or diesel powered truck, walked on a busy city street, been exposed to second had tobacco smoke (or, God forbid, smoked tobacco themselves), filled their car's gas tank on a hot day, or done any one of a thousand other things that expose them to toxic substances in far greater quantity than using and maintaining their personal and kitchen knives ever will.

Tobacco ? Gaz station ? Diesel micro partcules ? Indoors shooting ranges ? The smell of napalm in the morning ?
Why not nuclear wastes ? Coronavirus ? High tension power line ? Bayer Monsanto spread chemicals ? Dental amalgam ?
Could we even consider the toxicity of any long relationship with my mother in law ?

I'd say all those things, with the possible exception of your MIL, ;) fall under the umbrella of "any one of a thousand other things".

My point was merely that there's a not so fine line between sensible caution and crippling paranoia and, to me at least, concern about the health implications of the various toxic metals used in many steels falls on the crippling paranoia side of that line. The only exceptions to that might be amateur, professional, and commercial knife makers.
Yes Paul, my MIL is toxic... I even think she should be added to **** Week, or in any commando training.

I have only asked a question.
Who has ever brought the word paranoia ?
I have been asking about "risks" not "fears" !
Risk management anyone ? Cobalt in blade could be harmful or benign: it is just a question.

But have you noticed how Sal has answered by avoiding giving any opinion or assumptions: he gave us just facts.
And his own experience with a toxic knife material: G10.

The David Boye suggestion was one of the best: it was a "lead". They are knife with 70% cobalt.
Again not an assumption based on the new cartesian quote: "I believe therefore I'm Right".

That is very disappointing not being able to ask a question without being judged like:
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:06 pm
This thread is silly
So why answering my thread in the first place ? I will never understand that kind of behavior toward someone asking a question.
There are not silly thread but stupid answers.
Last edited by Nemo3000 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

It's an interesting discussion and does bring awareness to the folly of California Prop 65. I personally do not think there is risk except for those professions mentioned and dry grinding. Our new steel was based on Cobalt and 27 is the number for Cobalt in the Periodic table. If we thought there was any danger, we would not have gone in that direction.

sal
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:19 am
It's an interesting discussion and does bring awareness to the folly of California Prop 65. I personally do not think there is risk except for those professions mentioned and dry grinding. Our new steel was based on Cobalt and 27 is the number for Cobalt in the Periodic table. If we thought there was any danger, we would not have gone in that direction.

sal
Thank you Sal. It's a relief to have you there. :)

Knife closed.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Nemo,

Are you planning any trips to the States? We'll be at the Blade show in Atlanta in June. I miss our chats.

Gail and I aren't making many trips overseas these days. Age creeps in. Our longest trips these days are to Kauai.

sal
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:26 am
Hey Nemo,

Are you planning any trips to the States? We'll be at the Blade show in Atlanta in June. I miss our chats.

Gail and I aren't making many trips overseas these days. Age creeps in. Our longest trips these days are to Kauai.

sal
Hey Sal,
Sylvie wants to make a trip to Colorado for quite a long time as she was working in Broomfield back in the Sun Microsystems days ! :-)
Joyce always teased me about visiting Golden ! I miss our chats too !
We will be happy to meet you and Gail in the Beautiful Colorado ! :-)
I'll see Eric in two weeks. Would you like anything special from France I can give to him for you ?
Cheers Nemo
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:53 pm
(Snip)

As Sal said, what gets you is what you do the most. Now that is actually worth thinking about.
That is precisely why over half of car accidents happen within 5 miles from home, and over two-thirds within 10 miles.

Or, something that worried my wife when our kids were first starting to eat solid food, until I explained why correlation does not equal causation: that hot dogs are (one of) the most commonly choked on foods for toddlers. My response was something very close to "Well it wouldn't be lobster, now, would it?"