Can some steels be bad for our health ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Can some steels be bad for our health ?

Post by The Meat man »

I don't think simply using knives with cobalt presents a health hazard.

Look at David Boye - he's been making kitchen knives with what - 70% cobalt? - for years and years and I haven't heard anything negative about it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:55 pm
I don't think simply using knives with cobalt presents a health hazard.

Look at David Boye - he's been making kitchen knives with what - 70% cobalt? - for years and years and I haven't heard anything negative about it.
Yes this is a very good point !
You are right Stellite! Talonite ! :) And 70% is a lot ! ;)
"Through a serendipitous exchange with knife maker Blackie Collins, I started looking into using cobalt for casting my knife blades instead of stainless steel. My early experiments showed that casting blades in a cobalt alloy improved edge holding, and this was corroborated by a test done by Blade Magazine. Citing both my cast stainless and cast cobalt knives as “in the top 1% of all knives tested for cutting ability,” cast cobalt was shown to cut 3X longer than cast stainless, especially on fibrous materials such as rope and net."

http://faq.customtacticals.com/steels/non_talonite.php

So it should be considered harmless. :)
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Nemo3000 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:46 pm
Sorry, which pages you are talking about ? :)
This thread.
...Cobalt is obviously not cyanid, it won't kill you in an instant but it is known for its toxic nature.
The human body has a mechanism to counteract cyanide. It uses thiosulfate to do so. That keeps us from dying when ingesting things like the occasional apple seed. That process cannot manage the overwhelming amount that spy movies suggest.

Human beings are keen observers. We learn from our mistakes. It's all we had before we knew all the chemicals around us. Most don't kill us because we are the only animal that can eat anything on the planet. We might get sick but then learning comes into play.

I agree that there are numerous things "we used to do in the old days." Today will be the old days pretty soon.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Welp, I'm doomed. I have about 10 home made knives with 5-10% cobalt (m35,m42,t42). I ground them all from parting tools.... 30 years ago.
Maxamet is 10% cobalt.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:54 pm
Welp, I'm doomed. I have about 10 home made knives with 5-10% cobalt (m35,m42,t42). I ground them all from parting tools.... 30 years ago.
Maxamet is 10% cobalt.
So how do you do? 😂
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Nemo3000 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:16 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:54 pm
Maxamet is 10% cobalt.
So how do you do? 😂
So far, so good but probably cut my life short and die in my 90's.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I asked an buddy of mine who is an executive chef at a local 4 star restaurant and he said they are mindful about thoroughly cleaning knives after sharpening, but that's it.... he said they mostly use hap, sk5 and 4116-krupp, and a couple 1095
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I think that knife maker confuses cobalt dust with iron alloy dust containing small amounts of cobalt. And even then, studies talk about chronic exposure to these dusts of cobalt, months, even years of daily exposure. The difference is day and night, it's kind of sad when such misconceptions are spread just because it "sounds right". Also, G10 dust isn't any more dangerous than micarta dust. Fiber glass is catalogued as non-carcinogenic. It's just too big, unlike carbon fiber or azbestos. What might be bad in those is the binding resin, but I don't know or ever looked into its composition so I won't assume it does or doesn't.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

emanuel wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:05 am
I think that knife maker confuses cobalt dust with iron alloy dust containing small amounts of cobalt. And even then, studies talk about chronic exposure to these dusts of cobalt, months, even years of daily exposure. The difference is day and night, it's kind of sad when such misconceptions are spread just because it "sounds right". Also, G10 dust isn't any more dangerous than micarta dust. Fiber glass is catalogued as non-carcinogenic. It's just too big, unlike carbon fiber or azbestos. What might be bad in those is the binding resin, but I don't know or ever looked into its composition so I won't assume it does or doesn't.
Micarta grinding smells like goat pee actually !! ;)
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

Only if they glow in the dark!
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:08 am
The inhalation issue is more for miners or people in an industrial setting using grinders. If you're going to take a powered sharpening system to a blade, you should probably use a respirator, but I doubt you'll be making significant amounts of airborne dust with stones or strops. That's a good rule regardless of cobalt. Lungs don't like metal dust.

As far as ingestion, Cobalt is necessary for life in small amounts and toxic in larger amounts like many other minerals. I seriously doubt you could eat enough to cause an issue from using a knife for food prep. Maybe if you're sharpening daily and licking the stones clean?
You absolutely can make a lot of metal dust with regular old band sharpening.

I made a video once showing myself using a wicked edge, about 4 feet from my iMac computer. When I was done I noticed some dark spots on my computer so I walked over, and the magnets that hold the screen on had actually been grabbing metal dust out of the air while I was sharpening. From many feet away.

It was a wake up call for me no doubt. I seriously doubt the minuscule amounts we are exposed to it’s going to cause any harm. Maybe if our life spans were 200-300 years instead of 75, it would matter. But in reality we have bigger things to worry about that are going to get us quicker.

It’s a non issue IMO.
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:47 am
Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:08 am
The inhalation issue is more for miners or people in an industrial setting using grinders. If you're going to take a powered sharpening system to a blade, you should probably use a respirator, but I doubt you'll be making significant amounts of airborne dust with stones or strops. That's a good rule regardless of cobalt. Lungs don't like metal dust.

As far as ingestion, Cobalt is necessary for life in small amounts and toxic in larger amounts like many other minerals. I seriously doubt you could eat enough to cause an issue from using a knife for food prep. Maybe if you're sharpening daily and licking the stones clean?
You absolutely can make a lot of metal dust with regular old band sharpening.

I made a video once showing myself using a wicked edge, about 4 feet from my iMac computer. When I was done I noticed some dark spots on my computer so I walked over, and the magnets that hold the screen on had actually been grabbing metal dust out of the air while I was sharpening. From many feet away.

It was a wake up call for me no doubt. I seriously doubt the minuscule amounts we are exposed to it’s going to cause any harm. Maybe if our life spans were 200-300 years instead of 75, it would matter. But in reality we have bigger things to worry about that are going to get us quicker.

It’s a non issue IMO.

Wow, so how do you use the Wicked Edge now? I also have the Wicked Edge and don´t want any metal dust in my living room.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Taking those metallurgy courses in college was interesting. They were like 101 and 103 type courses but yet they did cover some interesting aspects of metallurgy. One big thing we were warned about was the machine tool uses of copper with beryllium alloyed in it. They said that was a big "no no" concerning potential fumes and dust as well. I have heard that there are actually quite a few alloying elements in steels and other alloys that have potential for toxic results.

But every time we were in the machine tool lab or working with CNC equipment we were warned big time about that copper and beryllium. I've also heard dire warnings about cadmium coatings on metals as well as many other metals to avoid contact with. I'm sure there are a lot of toxic properties with many alloys.

Now I've also heard that nickel which is one of the main alloying elements in many stainless steels has potential toxic properties as well. However I've used my copper bottom/Stainless Revere Ware to cook with for decades and I've yet to have any ill effects from it. But this is something we all need to be mindful of.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Am assuming none of those who worry about the toxicity of trace metals in steel have ever shot on an indoor range, parked in a parking garage, driven behind a bus or diesel powered truck, walked on a busy city street, been exposed to second had tobacco smoke (or, God forbid, smoked tobacco themselves), filled their car's gas tank on a hot day, or done any one of a thousand other things that expose them to toxic substances in far greater quantity than using and maintaining their personal and kitchen knives ever will.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:20 am
Am assuming none of those who worry about the toxicity of trace metals in steel have ever shot on an indoor range, parked in a parking garage, driven behind a bus or diesel powered truck, walked on a busy city street, been exposed to second had tobacco smoke (or, God forbid, smoked tobacco themselves), filled their car's gas tank on a hot day, or done any one of a thousand other things that expose them to toxic substances in far greater quantity than using and maintaining their personal and kitchen knives ever will.
Tobacco ? Gaz station ? Diesel micro partcules ? Indoors shooting ranges ? The smell of napalm in the morning ?
Why not nuclear wastes ? Coronavirus ? High tension power line ? Bayer Monsanto spread chemicals ? Dental amalgam ?
Could we even consider the toxicity of any long relationship with my mother in law ?

Anyway... I don't cut my steaks with any gaz station hose. I get a quick patina from cutting hot meat with any low chromium steel knife. Those same knives which can spoil a salad or an fruit by making them turned brown and give a way an iron taste... because of chemical reactions.
Hence my question about high cobalt steels. But nickel, chromium are also toxic. It a steel mixing those element healthy to the knifemakers and the end line users ?
Absence of proof is not proof of absence but David Boye using 70% cobalt in an alloy seems to be a proof to me.

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:07 am

Now I've also heard that nickel which is one of the main alloying elements in many stainless steels has potential toxic properties as well. However I've used my copper bottom/Stainless Revere Ware to cook with for decades and I've yet to have any ill effects from it. But this is something we all need to be mindful of.

I have been exchanging with my old friend Pekka Tuominen.

Me: Do you think Cobalt dust could be dangerous ?
Pekka: Every dust is ! I do not believe that anybody get cancer if they sharp knife sometimes of month... if they do not collect all dust for they sandwich :) There is lot of f.ex. nickel in steels and chromium etc. all are very bad for health.

Me: How do you protect yourself?
Pekka: I do not breathe ;) serious I use mask with motor. But no gloves, I do not like gloves, I lost my feeling, as you know I do everything with freehand method, no jig etc.

So eventually we can eat with our knives not eat our knives... ;)

Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

This thread is silly

All dust is toxic to your lungs. Unless you're a knife maker or in an industrial setting, it's not a concern for the average joe.

There is cobalt in your food and organs.

It's essential to live. Got B12?

The oxygen your breathing right now is also causing oxidative stress and damaging your cells and DNA with free radicals. Yet, we keep breathing :p

Life has a 100% chance of death, get over it.

Always seems folks are more concerned with the obscure and novel "dangers" and not the boring things that are really killing us like sedentary life style and poor diet.

Nemo3000 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:12 am
The Deacon wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:20 am
Tobacco ? Gaz station ? Diesel micro partcules ? Indoors shooting ranges ? The smell of napalm in the morning ?
Why not nuclear wastes ? Coronavirus ? High tension power line ? Bayer Monsanto spread chemicals ? Dental amalgam ?
Could we even consider the toxicity of any long relationship with my mother in law ?

Anyway... I don't cut my steaks with any gaz station hose. I get a quick patina from cutting hot meat with any low chromium steel knife. Those same knives which can spoil a salad or an fruit by making them turned brown and give a way an iron taste... because of chemical reactions.
Hence my question about high cobalt steels. But nickel, chromium are also toxic. It a steel mixing those element healthy to the knifemakers and the end line users ?
Absence of proof is not proof of absence but David Boye using 70% cobalt in an alloy seems to be a proof to me.

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:07 am

I have been exchanging with my old friend Pekka Tuominen.

Me: Do you think Cobalt dust could be dangerous ?
Pekka: Every dust is ! I do not believe that anybody get cancer if they sharp knife sometimes of month... if they do not collect all dust for they sandwich :) There is lot of f.ex. nickel in steels and chromium etc. all are very bad for health.

Me: How do you protect yourself?
Pekka: I do not breathe ;) serious I use mask with motor. But no gloves, I do not like gloves, I lost my feeling, as you know I do everything with freehand method, no jig etc.

So eventually we can eat with our knives not eat our knives... ;)

Last edited by Deadboxhero on Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
sal

Post by sal »

Fun subject. Figures it would be Nemo to bring this up from the depths. :p

I remember Nemo and I discussing Eric Taberly's death in the sea, because he spent so much time at sea. So in the end, what gets you is what you do the most? That concept brings up some interesting thoughts? :eek:

We have to put warning labels on our products because they might be sold in California and there is sever punishment for not warning the people about the danger of the chemicals in our products.

In Manufacturing, most grinders and mills are used wet. Masks re a good idea if dry grinding. I breathed in a tiny amount of G-10 dust once and it did make me sick.

sal
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:14 pm
Fun subject. Figures it would be Nemo to bring this up from the depths. :p

I remember Nemo and I discussing Eric Taberly's death in the sea, because he spent so much time at sea. So in the end, what gets you is what you do the most? That concept brings up some interesting thoughts? :eek:

We have to put warning labels on our products because they might be sold in California and there is sever punishment for not warning the people about the danger of the chemicals in our products.

In Manufacturing, most grinders and mills are used wet. Masks re a good idea if dry grinding. I breathed in a tiny amount of G-10 dust once and it did make me sick.

sal
Thank you Sal. God I miss you ! Will see Eric and family at the minimeet, but I really miss you !
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Why are human beings so focused on irrational fears? We worry very little about things that seriously put us at risk and dwell on the obscure and unlikely risks in life. I don’t get it. I assume it is a coping mechanism. Worrying about real danger is stressful and stress is bad for out health and we are adverse to it in general so we distract ourselves with concern over unlikely dangers and we find comfort in that.

Memento Mori (remember you will die). I like to continually remind myself of this fact. It is the only guarantee. Accept it and move on. Focus on ways to be healthy and happy and focus on ways to enrich this fragile experience we are all lucky enough to have.

“Don’t sweat the petty stuff and don’t pet the sweaty stuff.” George Carlin
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Compared to driving in city traffic, I would say the danger from cobalt or anything in your knife is truly negligible. I spend a day now and then underground in abandoned uranium mines collecting rare minerals. Given these old mines have no ventilation blowers running, there is a LOT of radon built up in confined spaces underground. Do I worry about it? A little -- but a day now and then is different from if I made my living working in these mines every day. It is pretty hard to live an interesting life without some risk.

The "prop 65" warnings in California. Bags of flour probably have a prop 65 warning, but I haven't checked. Since everything must have a warning, the whole thing is silly and useless. Ultimately it is just a way for lawyers to make money if they catch something without the warning then find someone who got injured trimming their fingernails or something.

As Sal said, what gets you is what you do the most. Now that is actually worth thinking about.