Sumdumguy's Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Sumdumguy's Delica

Post by Sumdumguy »

I've been carrying the Mantra 1 for quite some time now. I can safely say that it is one of my top three folding knives. It's fantastic, down to the finger groove placement.
My only two complaints are the flipper and the frame lock. Individually, I am not a fan. HOWEVER, when combined the two negatives cancel each other out(flipper tab acts as a ricasso).

Fast forward to me purchasing a GITD Delica. After enjoying the Mantra so much, I just knew I was going to love it. I was devistated when I found that the Delica was too small without modification. My fingers rode the finger groove points and it was just not pleasing. I put it back in the box, pulled out my Mantra and with a tear in my eye, headed on down the road.

After that heartbreak, I started thinking about what my perfect rendition of the Delica would be. How would I make it?

Well to start with, the Handle on the Mantra is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing there; I love the titanium, standoffs and the wire clip. Perfect!

Next, the blade. Step one, LC200N(you should've known). The screws, standoffs and clip would ideally be made out of LC as well. No black coated hardware.
Step two, chop the flipper tab off flush. It's nice, but unnecessary.
Step three, Change it to PB washers. I don't have a single issue with the bearings, but straight PB is simple. K.I.S.S.

Lastly and most importantly, the lock. I'm pretty sure you know where I'm going with this... if not, allow me to end the suspense.

Integral. Compression. Lock.(with LC interface)

It can work! There is plenty of room between the closed edge and the back of the handle for a nice, big, lock bar cutout. With the addition of a stop pin outside of the blade and a notch cut into the tang for the new lock, it's done.

To commemorate this, most exciting proposal, I present to you:

Sumdumguy's Delica!

(Pardon the crap art. Phone + Finger =)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ugaarguy

Re: Sumdumguy's Delica

Post by ugaarguy »

The Delica / Mantra are a bit small for my fat fingers. However, I'm all for the return of the integral compression lock. Add PB washers and an LC200N (or Vanax SC) blade? Ohh yes. I support this concept.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I’m not a Delica fan. (Sacrilege!). But this variant I would buy!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I love both the mantra and the delica, so while I wouldn't change anything about those models, I'm pretty darn likely to try any variants of either.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm a little iffy about the integral compression lock, maybe if it also had a steel lock face insert? Is that even possible with this lock? So many issues with lock stick and titanium, it doesn't seem like a beneficial change over the frame lock or even just adding a steel liner on one side for a traditional CL.

But, I do agree that the Mantra 1 is essentially the ultimate Delica. I need to dig mine out and carry it more.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:20 pm
I'm a little iffy about the integral compression lock, maybe if it also had a steel lock face insert? Is that even possible with this lock? So many issues with lock stick and titanium, it doesn't seem like a beneficial change over the frame lock or even just adding a steel liner on one side for a traditional CL.

But, I do agree that the Mantra 1 is essentially the ultimate Delica. I need to dig mine out and carry it more.
I think OP was suggesting an LC200N interface on the integral compression lock.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:

Yes, I specified an LC interface. It would mount about the same as it did on the Mantra. I too dislike a Ti on steel interface.

I doubt it would be hard to make the prototype(with the right tools)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Evil D wrote:

Two of the largest benefits of the comp lock are added strength over a frame lock, and being able to disengage the lock without putting one's finger on the path of the closing blade. The benefit to integral locks is that they remove liners from the knife. Liners are great at trapping moisture and gunk.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Is it the flipper tab itself or how the Mantra flips that you're unhappy with? Flipper tabs don't really bother me but the relatively weak detente causing sluggish opening did. I took mine apart with the intention of modifying hole the detente ball sits in when the blade is closed. I found the detente ball was flattened quite a bit. I punched out the ball and flipped it around and now it flips really well.

Mantra is one of my favorite knives too. I almost wish I would've purchased a back up when they were discontinued. Mines still in really nice shape but I would be bummed out if I lost it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:30 pm
Evil D wrote:

Two of the largest benefits of the comp lock are added strength over a frame lock, and being able to disengage the lock without putting one's finger on the path of the closing blade. The benefit to integral locks is that they remove liners from the knife. Liners are great at trapping moisture and gunk.

Well if we're going with LC, may as well go full Salt with it. The Caribbean has liners, and the way the liners and scales are machined to fit each other prevents crud build up like you get with other linered knives (Para 2 for example) and since it's a Salt you don't have to worry about corrosion.

Anyway, the integral CL is a no go for me unless it gains a steel lock insert. Strength is a moot point on a knife this small. The major selling point to me is the closing action, but the flipper tab prevents you from getting cut when you drop the blade closed so the only loss there is dropping the blade all the way shut. If I have to choose between that closing action or an integral lock without a steel insert, I'll just keep the frame lock.

The other concern is lock over travel, so they need to also incorporate some kind of over travel stop like they use in frame locks. I suppose your thumb can sort of act in this way but if they design the lock insert right it can do both just like it already does on the frame lock.

It's a cool idea...but the lock insert is mandatory or I'd pass. I would be just as interested in a LC/Salt version of the Mantra 1 as it is now.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:41 pm
Is it the flipper tab itself or how the Mantra flips that you're unhappy with? Flipper tabs don't really bother me but the relatively weak detente causing sluggish opening did. I took mine apart with the intention of modifying hole the detente ball sits in when the blade is closed. I found the detente ball was flattened quite a bit. I punched out the ball and flipped it around and now it flips really well.

Mantra is one of my favorite knives too. I almost wish I would've purchased a back up when they were discontinued. Mines still in really nice shape but I would be bummed out if I lost it.
I have zero issues with it. It didn't make it to the top three for nothing. This is just my version of perfection.
Evil D wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:30 pm
Evil D wrote:

Well if we're going with LC, may as well go full Salt with it. The Caribbean has liners, and the way the liners and scales are machined to fit each other prevents crud build up like you get with other linered knives (Para 2 for example) and since it's a Salt you don't have to worry about corrosion.

Anyway, the integral CL is a no go for me unless it gains a steel lock insert. Strength is a moot point on a knife this small. The major selling point to me is the closing action, but the flipper tab prevents you from getting cut when you drop the blade closed so the only loss there is dropping the blade all the way shut. If I have to choose between that closing action or an integral lock without a steel insert, I'll just keep the frame lock.

The other concern is lock over travel, so they need to also incorporate some kind of over travel stop like they use in frame locks. I suppose your thumb can sort of act in this way but if they design the lock insert right it can do both just like it already does on the frame lock.

It's a cool idea...but the lock insert is mandatory or I'd pass. I would be just as interested in a LC/Salt version of the Mantra 1 as it is now.
David, I think you are missing something. A stainless steel(LC) lock bar insert(interface) is a crucial part of my idea. I DO NOT want titanium touching steel.

Also, just like the Mantra, the lockbar insert acts as the over travel stop.

Also, also, being made up of three metals(LC200N, Titanium and Phosphor Bronze), all of which are highly corrosion resistant, makes it a Salt by default.

-Thomas Jefferson
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I like it.

I wonder why we haven’t seen more integral compression locks?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I ground the useless flipper tab off. It’s in the way for any proper use. The blade needs a ricasso. Too much edge. I keep wanting to choke up my finger onto the blade. I may fix that too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Still waiting for the integral Para2!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:25 am
I ground the useless flipper tab off. It’s in the way for any proper use. The blade needs a ricasso. Too much edge. I keep wanting to choke up my finger onto the blade. I may fix that too.
Sorry, that's a negatory. I might adjust the ramp of the handle slightly, but the edge is perfect for me. I hear that there is a Jazzlica that has a nice ricasso and even a nifty wharnie blade. Might be up your alley!

;)
ChrisinHove wrote: I like it.

I wonder why we haven’t seen more integral compression locks?
I don't know. It's not from lack of begging, haha!

-Thomas Jefferson
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I would be all over something like this!
Justin :spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:56 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:41 pm

I have zero issues with it. It didn't make it to the top three for nothing. This is just my version of perfection.

Sorry I misread your first post where you said one of your complaints was the flipper
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:25 am
Too much edge? I think that's the first time I've heard that here
araneae

Post by araneae »

Definitely doesn't sound like a Delica.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:29 am
Too much edge? I think that's the first time I've heard that here

Definitely not from me. It’s off balance, like the Stretch and Caly 3.5. Otherwise, a really cool knife, even with the dreaded frame lock.

Here’s my mod...

Last edited by Jazz on Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
- best wishes, Jazz.