More non Japanese steel in Seki Models!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JustinB

More non Japanese steel in Seki Models!

Post by JustinB »

This past year gave way to quite a few runs of Delicas in non traditional Japanese steels (ie the M390, Cruwear, S90v ones). We all know that the K390 line is in the works right now as well, so, do we think there will be more combinations of Seki models in new steels in the future?

Personally, I would love an Endura with something like S90v, S110v, or even M390 in a handsome shade like Steel blue, or Bordeaux. And a Jazzlica in a similar flavour :D One can dream right!
Justin :spyder:
sal

Re: More non Japanese steel in Seki Models!

Post by sal »

Hi Justin,

It was Eric that convinced one of our Seki makers to try other steels. It was something that I didn't think would happen. So much for the Old man? Once the ice was broken, I worked with the maker with K390 for a long time, over a year, to get it right. Some of these steels are a mutha to work with. So now we're moving in that direction "Bochi-bochi" ( A Japanese term that means one step at a time to insure a successful conclusion )

sal
JMM

Post by JMM »

AWESOME!!!

So given the fact of the 'ice" being broken, do you see anything in Rex45/4V/Cruwear being a possibility in the P4 LW or Endura/Endela/Delica family?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I love that the seki models aren't limited to Japanese steels moving forward - Cruwear delica, s30v dragonfly, heck yeah! That being said, I hope this doesn't mean the end of interesting Japanese steels on the models. I think those really set the Seki models apart from everything else on the market, and there have been some excellent ones.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Don't get me wrong, I like steels from the USA & Europe and I'm all for variety etc but I kind of like that the knives made in Japan used only Japanese steels. I carried a Delica with Super Gold today as a matter of fact. I love the edge SG takes. That said, my Cruwear Delica has become my most used/carried and my VG-10 and HAP40 Delicas have been sitting in my desk drawer for awhile.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I'm of the opposite mind. Get more Japanese steels out of seki! Super blue, Hap40, and V-toku2 have been amazing and I want more.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

joeldworkin307 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:24 am
I'm of the opposite mind. Get more Japanese steels out of seki! Super blue, Hap40, and V-toku2 have been amazing and I want more.
I tend to agree, but consumer demand seems to be on steels from elsewhere. Also, people don't seem to like the cladding as much as I do. I'd like to see laminated steels due to the history and tradition of Japanese cutlery, but I think I'm in the minority.
archangel

Post by archangel »

joeldworkin307 wrote:

I've said it in another thread recently: more is better. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:37 am
joeldworkin307 wrote:
I tend to agree, but consumer demand seems to be on steels from elsewhere. Also, people don't seem to like the cladding as much as I do. I'd like to see laminated steels due to the history and tradition of Japanese cutlery, but I think I'm in the minority.
I also like the cladding. I wouldn't want it on every knife, but I think it makes for an interesting blade, and I also appreciate the tradition behind it. But I think a lot of people dislike it because it limits the heat treat/hardness of the core steels.
- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

joeldworkin307 wrote:
I'd be thrilled with any of these in a vast variety of Spyderco models! 3 of my favorite steels to work with. I also kind of like that the cladded steels tend to scratch easily, so once you get that first scratch...its easy on the mind to turn it into a hard user!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:29 am
But I think a lot of people dislike it because it limits the heat treat/hardness of the core steels.
Just how high can Spyderco go? I mean there is a theoretical limit to any particular steel. Spyderco makes its money by selling to the public at large. Despite the enthusiasm on this forum, we don't spend enough to keep Spyderco in business. The work that DBH is doing is fantastic. I've learned a lot by reading his posts here and elsewhere. But he can chase these extremes because he is a one-man shop. The price alone will keep many potential customers away. People that buy custom knives with custom heat treatments understand how the knife should be used. If Spyderco maxed out the heat treatment on every steel they used, they would have so many customer service requests, complaints, and bad press that it would not be financially viable to keep it up. I spend most of my "knife time" on the internet here on this forum. It is easy to forget that very few production companies have the courage to do what Spyderco does. It may be that Spyderco's Rex 45 heat treatment leaves some performance on the the table, but which other companies offer a steel remotely close to Rex 45? I get the desire to ask Spyderco to make your dream knife, in your dream steel, with you dream heat treatment (I'm certainly guilty of this myself). But at a certain point, afi expectations exceed what is prudent from a business point of view.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:28 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:29 am
But I think a lot of people dislike it because it limits the heat treat/hardness of the core steels.
Just how high can Spyderco go? I mean there is a theoretical limit to any particular steel. Spyderco makes its money by selling to the public at large. Despite the enthusiasm on this forum, we don't spend enough to keep Spyderco in business. The work that DBH is doing is fantastic. I've learned a lot by reading his posts here and elsewhere. But he can chase these extremes because he is a one-man shop. The price alone will keep many potential customers away. People that buy custom knives with custom heat treatments understand how the knife should be used. If Spyderco maxed out the heat treatment on every steel they used, they would have so many customer service requests, complaints, and bad press that it would not be financially viable to keep it up. I spend most of my "knife time" on the internet here on this forum. It is easy to forget that very few production companies have the courage to do what Spyderco does. It may be that Spyderco's Rex 45 heat treatment leaves some performance on the the table, but which other companies offer a steel remotely close to Rex 45? I get the desire to ask Spyderco to make your dream knife, in your dream steel, with you dream heat treatment (I'm certainly guilty of this myself). But at a certain point, afi expectations exceed what is prudent from a business point of view.
Oh I don't disagree, I'm just stating the complaints about laminate steels that I've heard. I love hap40, for example. I like the cladding, and I don't especially care about super high hardness/wear resistance since I really don't need it for how I use my knives and I'm not an expert sharpener (nor do I care to spend hours sharpening my knives). I definitely don't want to lose the Japanese steels. As we've both said, that kind of uniqueness and variety in steels really sets Spyderco and the Seki knives apart from every other manufacturer. I love it.
- Julia

p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:10 pm
Oh I don't disagree, I'm just stating the complaints about laminate steels that I've heard...
Sorry about that. I didn't mean to imply that you were making those points from my post above. I was speaking more generally about ideas and opinions I have seen around here lately. I'll be more explicit next time.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:46 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:10 pm
Oh I don't disagree, I'm just stating the complaints about laminate steels that I've heard...
Sorry about that. I didn't mean to imply that you were making those points from my post above. I was speaking more generally about ideas and opinions I have seen around here lately. I'll be more explicit next time.
No worries!
- Julia

speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

sal wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:40 pm
Hi Justin,

It was Eric that convinced one of our Seki makers to try other steels. It was something that I didn't think would happen. So much for the Old man? Once the ice was broken, I worked with the maker with K390 for a long time, over a year, to get it right. Some of these steels are a mutha to work with. So now we're moving in that direction "Bochi-bochi" ( A Japanese term that means one step at a time to insure a successful conclusion )

sal
Wow that's fantastic news. Thanks for sharing Sal. Here's hoping we get more of the Wharncliffe with some unique steel. I bought three of the Hap40 in the Wharnie. I can't even fathom how amazing a Wharncliffe Delica/Endela would be in a Superblue..which I miss big time BTW...lost my Caly 3.5 in it! Was my favorite blade. With all that said, I don't care if it's US or Japanese steel, as long as its unique and in the Wharncliffe shape. Just a grateful fan here.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd personally love to see a Seki Cru-carta series and Seki FRN Cruwear series. My Cruwear Delica is my favorite Spyderco and was the most significant knife of 2019 in my opinion as the first Seki Cruwear knife and coming out of nowhere like it did. It is pretty much the only knife I carry anymore since I got it.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am happy the Seki models are coming out with Other steels. Seki knives are my most consistently used and carried Spydercos.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050