Military 3 vs delica.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fright_Fox

Military 3 vs delica.

Post by Fright_Fox »

I had a delica for a little while but sold it unfortunately. Now I want a smaller knife for edc at work and the military 3 lightweight is around the same price as a delica vg10 here. I think the mili is a different steel, anyway what would be the better buy for just cutting up boxes and also cool factor. Thanks.
5-by-5

Re: Military 3 vs delica.

Post by 5-by-5 »

*Para3
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

If the Military 3 is currently a thing, there’s going to be a lot of somewhat confused yet excited people around these parts!

Also, if you had the Delica and sold it, why not try something new? I’d recommend the Lil Native!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For me Delica over Para 3 by a huge margin. Imho the Delica does all the "small folder things" right, but the Para 3 not so much.

Bladestock:
Delica 2.5, Para 3.6 mm. That's over 40 % thicker, and makes the Delica a better slicer (though of course not only blade stock thickness alone is defining how slicey a blade can be!). Still the Delica blade is easily strong enough, that's true also for the tip (due to the slight drop towards the tip).

Handle:
The Delica offers space for a generous four finger grip on the handle, while one can still perfectly choke up on the Ricasso.
The Para 3 has the size, where imho a choil is not the best choice: Shortens the grip area on the actual handle, so larger hands have to choke up for a good four finger grip plus sacrifices usable edge length.

Carriability: The Para 3 does not offer more cutting edge than the Delica, has not a handle that offers a good four finger grip, but still is clearly bulkier in the pocket than the Delica. And the Delica, despite having full liners, is still lighter than even the Para 3 lw.

Lock:
I prefer the backlock, but that's just personal preference.

That all being said: The Para 3 still is a cool little baby PM2, and many, many love it. It's just not for me.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above: Get a Chap FRN... :D
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:27 pm
Added to my post above: Get a Chap FRN... :D
I'll second the Chaparral, any configuration.

Para 3 will be a slightly larger footprint than the Delica. More handle same edge. Chaparral a little less handle and edge. UKPK close to the same with choil but no lock.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Oh. Para 3. Sorry no interest. It doesnt fit my hand.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Ric

Post by Ric »

Para 3 lightweight.
If you can wait a bit get the SPY27 cobalt-blue version.
I also recommend the Rex45. Both were released in reveal 4 a few weeks ago.

They will be awesome.

Sage 5 lightweight should also be a perfect knife. Did not had it in hand.

Lil Native is a tank in a tiny package.
Comes as backlock or compression lock.

Dragonfly lightweight is the PERFECT small knife. Backlock.

A great slicer in a small package is the chaparral.
There a special moon/sun is upcoming.
But I would recommend the FRN.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:25 pm
For me Delica over Para 3 by a huge margin. Imho the Delica does all the "small folder things" right, but the Para 3 not so much.

Bladestock:
Delica 2.5, Para 3.6 mm. That's over 40 % thicker, and makes the Delica a better slicer (though of course not only blade stock thickness alone is defining how slicey a blade can be!). Still the Delica blade is easily strong enough, that's true also for the tip (due to the slight drop towards the tip).

Handle:
The Delica offers space for a generous four finger grip on the handle, while one can still perfectly choke up on the Ricasso.
The Para 3 has the size, where imho a choil is not the best choice: Shortens the grip area on the actual handle, so larger hands have to choke up for a good four finger grip plus sacrifices usable edge length.

Carriability: The Para 3 does not offer more cutting edge than the Delica, has not a handle that offers a good four finger grip, but still is clearly bulkier in the pocket than the Delica. And the Delica, despite having full liners, is still lighter than even the Para 3 lw.

Lock:
I prefer the backlock, but that's just personal preference.

That all being said: The Para 3 still is a cool little baby PM2, and many, many love it It's just not for me.
I couldn’t have said it better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Para if you like choils,Delica if you don't.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
archangel

Post by archangel »

spyderwolf wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:19 am

^^ this. Personally I'd choose the Para 3 cause it penetrates better (and has the much better action).
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Delica = 2.5mm stock
Para3 = 3.7mm stock

The Para3 doesn’t fit my hand very well. I prefer the Native5 or Delica in that size range.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:

I´d say (just my personal opinion of course): If you like choils:

- Sage LW (3mm stock instead of overbuilt 3.7 (Para 3), grip is shaped so that one can get a good four finger grip also behind the choil (not so on the Para 3) - and if you prefer the comp.lock
- Or Chap LW (2mm stock, a bit less actual cutting edge, small enough that a choil really makes sense (cause the handle would be too short anyway, with or without choil) - and if you prefer the backlock
Ric

Post by Ric »

Behind Edge / Spine / Blade Stock
Delica (FFG) - .028 / .096 / .096
Para 3 - .025 / .145 / .145
Sage 5 - .019 / .111 / .116
Chaparral CF - .013 / .077 / .077
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:58 pm

Don´t doubt your measurments, but thickness behind the edge is rather easy to modify (make it thinner), overbuilt (for a small folder) general blade stock not so much... So the Delica can at least easily be made a better slicer than the Para 3, if someone feels it isn´t already despite the much thinner stock...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I like the Delica, but I like the Para 3 a lot more. The compression lock is easier to use with one hand, the ergonomics of the handle feel better to me, I love a good choil, and I like the blade design a little more. Given the choice, I'd go Para 3. That all said, the Delica is still a great knife.

Best advice? Get both, sell off the one you don't end up using so much.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:23 am
Ric wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:58 pm
Don´t doubt your measurments
These are not my measurements!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:04 am
spyderwolf wrote:

I´d say (just my personal opinion of course): If you like choils:

- Sage LW (3mm stock instead of overbuilt 3.7 (Para 3), grip is shaped so that one can get a good four finger grip also behind the choil (not so on the Para 3) - and if you prefer the comp.lock
- Or Chap LW (2mm stock, a bit less actual cutting edge, small enough that a choil really makes sense (cause the handle would be too short anyway, with or without choil) - and if you prefer the backlock
Can't argue on that point.I'm alergic to 50/50 choils,so any knife with one is a no go for me from the on set.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Of those two I prefer the Para 3 for the ergonomics (finger choil allows fuller grip and better tip control, at least for my hands).

Given a wider selection, I'd take the Chaparral over either one, every time.
jacala

Post by jacala »

I love all of my children equally :-)