Spyderco’s For Law Enforcement?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zatx

Spyderco’s For Law Enforcement?

Post by Zatx »

I’m not just a pastor, I recently expanded my role as a police chaplain and become a sworn police officer as well. Being an older guy, I’ve learned to lean on those with experience to inform my tactics and decisions. That being said, if you’ve worked in the Law Enforcement or a similar field, what Spydercos have proven useful to you?

(I’ve got the new all black Yojimbo 2 on the way to my house right now!)

Thank you.
legOFwhat?

Re: Spyderco’s For Law Enforcement?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Just want to say thank you for your service! For the cop stuff too ;)

I'd suggest the Byrd Rescue 2 as a tag along to any knife...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

How do you carry when you're in uniform? I've carried several different ways because I've found that It's hard to draw a knife out of my front pockets with a duty belt on. I've even carried on the straps of my ballistic vest. Different positions could result in different choices of knife size and tip orientation
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Zatx wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:08 am
I’m not just a pastor, I recently expanded my role as a police chaplain and become a sworn police officer as well. Being an older guy, I’ve learned to lean on those with experience to inform my tactics and decisions. That being said, if you’ve worked in the Law Enforcement or a similar field, what Spydercos have proven useful to you?

(I’ve got the new all black Yojimbo 2 on the way to my house right now!)

Thank you.

Man, Zatx, I can't contribute anything concerning your question, but let me say: I'm glad you're back (on this forum)!! :)

Really have been wondering where you've been.

/ And I am also courious what law enforcement people might share here
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jdw

Post by jdw »

A preacher with a gun and knife? Ain't America great?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
blues

Post by blues »

I've carried several Spyderco knives in plain clothes federal L.E., as well as SRT. From Military down to Calypso Jr. size. All were useful daily companions. I never resorted to one for defensive use nor used any as a pry bar. As a cutting tool, any of them will be hard to beat. If you need a stouter tip for one reason or another take that into consideration.

That said, I know many uniform wearing LEOs who went 20 years carrying Delicas. Don't overthink it. And good luck to you and your flock.
- Retired from the chase -
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

You're welcome ;) That Byrd Rescue 2 looks like a great suggestion!
How do you carry when you're in uniform? I've carried several different ways because I've found that It's hard to draw a knife out of my front pockets with a duty belt on. I've even carried on the straps of my ballistic vest. Different positions could result in different choices of knife size and tip orientation

Yeah, I had no idea front pockets were virtually useless when wearing a duty belt and ballistics vest! I want one knife for self-defense that no one will see unless it is a really really bad situation, and one easily accessible that is for general cutting tasks. Our level III duty holsters are great at retaining our weapon in a close-quarters fight. Still, they have one vulnerability when grappling on the ground, and I find myself laying on my right side (weapon side) I'll have no way to draw that weapon to use deadly force. My thought is to train with and then equip the Yojimbo 2 on my left side behind my ballistics vest carrier. But, this is theoretical, so I'm looking for alternatives from you guys.

Man, Zatx, I can't contribute anything concerning your question, but let me say: I'm glad you're back (on this forum)!! :)

Thanks, bud! Yeah, I've been busy getting trained as a State Police Chaplain and going through the academy, all while working as a full-time pastor.

I've carried a gun and a Spyderco for some time now (as a civilian) and spent a lot of time contemplating Jesus' message of love and forgiveness while also being willing to use deadly force to defend others. Here's a quote from Jesus where he's giving instructions to his disciples and preparing them for a life of opposition, "He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36) Think about that... the disciples carried swords, and they were standing right next to the Son of God, God himself...

I think he's okay with my Glock, Hellcat, and collection of Spyderco's. :)
jdw

Post by jdw »

My friend, you could out quote me on the Biblios all day long. I kind of believe in the Christ who told the apostles to lay down their swords. I have no quarrel with you. I am a professional Social Worker. I hope that everyone lays down their arms.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JMM

Post by JMM »

I will strive to keep out of any theological or philosophical portion of this thread... while I am not nor have ever been a sworn officer, I was a network engineer & computer forensics guy for my local county for 15 years and I spent a LOT of time with our Sheriff's deputies (and command staff as well) and based on what I've seen the majority of the patrol guys carried on their duty belt and/or their back pocket (usually whichever handed they were) I've seen a number of various brands and models carried, but as far as Spyderco knives I've seen Police 3/4, Ulize, Military, PM2, and Autonomy & Embassy in that order more or less. (incidentally it was a Captain that got me started on my Spydie habit) Thank you for your service!

Cheers,

John
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Autonomy 1 in all black.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

jdw wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:36 am
I hope that everyone lays down their arms.
Amen! I’d much rather not have a need to ever carry anything for the protection of others because there was no longer any violence in the world!

(Plus, I really didn’t take your post as argumentative in the slightest. No harm, no foul.)
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

“Hope for the best and prepare for the worst, but first, do no harm.”
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

:D I'm no LEO but I'd say of you like serrations go with the SE Salt 2 all black, if you don't get the PS Delica 4 all black :D
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Zatx wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:29 am

You're welcome ;) That Byrd Rescue 2 looks like a great suggestion!

Yeah, I had no idea front pockets were virtually useless when wearing a duty belt and ballistics vest! I want one knife for self-defense that no one will see unless it is a really really bad situation, and one easily accessible that is for general cutting tasks. Our level III duty holsters are great at retaining our weapon in a close-quarters fight. Still, they have one vulnerability when grappling on the ground, and I find myself laying on my right side (weapon side) I'll have no way to draw that weapon to use deadly force. My thought is to train with and then equip the Yojimbo 2 on my left side behind my ballistics vest carrier. But, this is theoretical, so I'm looking for alternatives from you guys.

Thanks, bud! Yeah, I've been busy getting trained as a State Police Chaplain and going through the academy, all while working as a full-time pastor.

I've carried a gun and a Spyderco for some time now (as a civilian) and spent a lot of time contemplating Jesus' message of love and forgiveness while also being willing to use deadly force to defend others. Here's a quote from Jesus where he's giving instructions to his disciples and preparing them for a life of opposition, "He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36) Think about that... the disciples carried swords, and they were standing right next to the Son of God, God himself...

I think he's okay with my Glock, Hellcat, and collection of Spyderco's. :)
In response to the section highlighted. I'm not LE, but have a few good friends who are. Based on what those guys carry, I'm going to recommend a non-Spyderco for this role. Take a look at the KaBar TDI. It's fixed blade that was designed to be intuitive to use with the weak hand in a weapon retention scenario. That paired with any of Spyderco's excellent folders to handle your general cutting tasks would be a very useful combo.

Also, don't forget that as a sworn LEO you're now eligible for a substantial discount when buying direct from Spyderco, thanks to their very gracious OpFocus program - https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zatx,

Thanx for your service. A cop with a conscience is always best. We make a coin I give to cops and soldiers. It says on one side: "I it is the responsibility of good to stop evil from hurting the innocent". Some times that takes more horsepower.

(not you David).

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Zatx wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:08 am
I’m not just a pastor
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

My uncle used several knives over the years as a cop from what we talked, but lately, thanks to me :D, he's a big fan of spyderco serrated knives. Also, thanks to some serrated knife tips thread on here, I slightly rounded the sharp tips of the serrations so snagging isn't an issue while the blade has all the extra slicing power of full on serrations. Most of the things he cuts are zip ties and other plastic things, so serrations are extremely valuable. He uses an Endura 4 SE btw.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Thank you for what you do Zatx! I was a Deputy Sheriff in Kern County, California for a while. My knife preference was the Spyderco Delica, combination edge. An extremely versatile tool with the capability to handle a myriad of situations (which it did). I have also been a Parole Officer here in North Carolina where I carried the same Spyderco Delica. Once again, it never let me down. The Delica always proved to be an excellent companion to my service weapon and I would have felt extremely uncomfortable without the knife which I always carried in my rear pocket. My only advice to anyone who relies on their knife is train, train, and train some more until the knife becomes an extension of your hand. Just my 2¢. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

sal wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:57 pm
Hi Zatx,

Thanx for your service. A cop with a conscience is always best. We make a coin I give to cops and soldiers. It says on one side: "I it is the responsibility of good to stop evil from hurting the innocent". Some times that takes more horsepower.

(not you David).

sal

Love it, Sal! (And you’re welcome!)
JohnNYPD

Post by JohnNYPD »

I been carrying a Delica on & off duty for the past 13
years. I use it daily. I highly recommend the Delica.