H1 serration testing, has anyone tested theirs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: H1 serration testing, has anyone tested theirs?

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:16 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:57 pm
I am about to sharpen up my PE H1 and PE VG10 Dragonflies and take them to task side by side on some green fibrous plantains
What is it with you and Durians, Doc? :confused: :p
Hey, I don’t mess with carrion. Yuk. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:15 pm
Hi Knife_bro,

I think Lance's ( Gringo ) explanation is valid. CATRA also verifies.

sal
Sal

Is the plain edge h1 hardened by grinding or is it friction stir processed? I'm wondering if stir processing is the answer to getting pe h1 to match se
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Koenigsegg,

There is no intentional "friction stir" but that may occur in the grinding?

sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:38 am
Hi Koenigsegg,

sal
Thanks for the reply Sal didn't see till today. I thought Larrin's article on friction stir processing for hardening steels was interesting and it really made me want to see how H1 would perform. My understanding is h1 only hardens from work hardening and if you could match the hardness of the serrated edge with a plain edge, that would be the king blade imo.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

Hello everyone, sorry for the ultra late response.

I am not the most scientific person, and so these tests are taken with a grain of salt. But generally, all my knives see typically the same sort of use on the same things 5 days a week, every week. I am familiar with serrations, and many other steel types. h1 however is a new one for me in serrations.

I think it's pointless to cover the corrosion resistance of this, because it's the main selling point of the knife... but yeah it won't ever rust.

Going onto edge retention and the ability to stay sharp and cut through material, h1 is absolutely insane on my Atlantic Salt. I have really tried to beat on this hard as I can with hard usage. I have not sharpened the blade either, trying to see how long I can go without need it, but I have reached a point where I want to sharpen it, it's not dull, but I just like sharpening.

I have bumped the serration tips into metal at times accidentally, gone through staples, and cut through cardboard like a dream. Each of the serration tips still retain their sharp points, none have dulled. I try my best not to misuse my knives however, so this isn't very surprising. H1 really is like how I read. I'm not sure if the work hardening or whatnot played a role, but it performed better than an m4 manix 2 I had in plain edge by a lot. It is basically cutting stuff, and outlasting some of my s30v items. It really has changed my mind on h1 as a steel, where I previously thought the edge retention was too low to be of use. This might be true in the plain edge form still, but after my experience, I can say that yes. What I read online was true, and I kind of agree with what sal said a long time ago, with this being an insanely good cutter.

I have pretty much fallen in love with the salt line at this point, and am really looking forward to my siren. As a chef, not having to worry about corrosion is quite nice, and the fact that it still is a tank like performer is just icing on the cake.
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

sal wrote:
Hi Koenigsegg,

sal
Also sal, if you'd like to request an angle for me to sharpen the h1 serrated Atlantic Salt, just say the word.
sal

Post by sal »

koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:11 am
sal wrote:
Hi Koenigsegg,

sal
Thanks for the reply Sal didn't see till today. I thought Larrin's article on friction stir processing for hardening steels was interesting and it really made me want to see how H1 would perform. My understanding is h1 only hardens from work hardening and if you could match the hardness of the serrated edge with a plain edge, that would be the king blade imo.

We're still learning about this H1 material.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Knife_Bro,

for me, on the serrated edge, I've been using 3 strokes on the ground side and one stroke on the back side. I spend a fair amount of time in Hawaii and I only use Salts when I'm there. On the plain edge, I just sharpen as normal. I like the edge H1 takes on the plain edge. It just doesn't last as long, but it gets very sharp.

sal
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:46 pm
Hi Knife_Bro,

for me, on the serrated edge, I've been using 3 strokes on the ground side and one stroke on the back side. I spend a fair amount of time in Hawaii and I only use Salts when I'm there. On the plain edge, I just sharpen as normal. I like the edge H1 takes on the plain edge. It just doesn't last as long, but it gets very sharp.

sal
Having recently re-discovered VG10 I have to say that a steel that takes a good edge fast certainly has its merits even in this day and age of super steels.
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sonorum wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:32 am
sal wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:46 pm
Hi Knife_Bro,

sal
Having recently re-discovered VG10 I have to say that a steel that takes a good edge fast certainly has its merits even in this day and age of super steels.

For me VG10 is a very good EDC steel in PE and a great one in SE...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)