Me New Motto Mates!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Me New Motto Mates!

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I get frustrated when a steel geek cannot get his hands on an exclusive in a high performance steel because it was a hot item and all the collectors on Instagram gobbled them up. The TKJ exclusive seems doomed to be eye candy on social media.

Sprints and exclusives have always been collectibles but now it seems as though that is all they are. I will never understand treating a high performance steel as a precious metal.

I know some folks like things more exclusive but I prefer the opposite. I would like to see 1200 pieces be the minimum order. If a small vendor cannot handle that then let them do it in two batches. Otherwise we will get more knives like the 4V Shaman. A knife that in my opinion should be used but instead 90% of them are either new in their boxes or at least still sporting their factory edges.

We are all different and I get that. I don’t think my opinion is correct or the only valid one. I do know that it bothers me that so many great knives just sit in their boxes because of their exclusivity. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I disagree with you very much, the effort is not wasted at all, Sal has said many times the feedback on this forum is valuable to his company.

When Sal says something I believe it, he has earned that kind of respect.

As for limited production capability seems to me not being spread to thin between too many would cure that.

I as a buyer and am on the side of the consumer as a consumer advocate this is my position in life and I stand up for myself and those like me.

Where I a retailer my loyalties would be to that industry.

One should know their position or else they are liable to actually be cutting off their own nose to spite their face over feelings.

Bottom line is those spending money are not being served so the money that could have been Spyderco’s goes elsewhere.

Good will and desire on the consumers part is being ignored... momentum runs out over time, Hard feelings over and over again will take their toll on any brand it just may take a while.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Blacksprucy,

Welcome to our forum.

A custom shop is not possible with all of the variety we provide. You might contact a custom maker licensed to use our trademarks to make custom variations?

sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:11 am
I get frustrated when a steel geek cannot get his hands on an exclusive in a high performance steel because it was a hot item and all the collectors on Instagram gobbled them up. The TKJ exclusive seems doomed to be eye candy on social media.

Sprints and exclusives have always been collectibles but now it seems as though that is all they are. I will never understand treating a high performance steel as a precious metal.

I know some folks like things more exclusive but I prefer the opposite. I would like to see 1200 pieces be the minimum order. If a small vendor cannot handle that then let them do it in two batches. Otherwise we will get more knives like the 4V Shaman. A knife that in my opinion should be used but instead 90% of them are either new in their boxes or at least still sporting their factory edges.

We are all different and I get that. I don’t think my opinion is correct or the only valid one. I do know that it bothers me that so many great knives just sit in their boxes because of their exclusivity. :)
I totally agree with you Darby. It really is a shame when someone has a job that they can't be available for a drop that will last all of 3 minutes or less. Someone that would use and appreciate a rare steel on an exclusive/sprint. I tend to be pretty lucky and have access to a computer most of the day, but it definitely bums me out when I see a forum member that I know likes to use their knives and test out new models/steels and they miss out.

I enjoy the exclusives/sprints because not only are they rare, but also because it's fun to try out something different than the standard. MOST of my collection is exclusives/sprints and EVERY KNIFE GETS USED. How are we ever going to learn about these steels if we don't actually use them!?!? I don't see any kind of fun or enjoyment in keeping them pristine in a box either. I enjoy looking at mine on the stands and taking a few minutes each morning to figure out which one or ones I will be using at work for the day.

Resized_20191222_115511.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sal

Post by sal »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
I will never understand treating a high performance steel as a precious metal.
Hi Darby, interesting comment. I don't know that I ever thought about it quite like that? If you have a diamond, ruby or gold, you can make a ring, ear ring or pendant. These are only worn, but that's still use. Looking at them is how the material is appreciated.

An exotic blade steel really is a "Precious Metal" and putting it into a knife is how it is put into a form that can be used. I agree with you and Rick, that to really appreciate these "precious metals" they must be used at least enough to experience their soul. Just looking at them isn't enough to appreciate their value.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:37 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
I will never understand treating a high performance steel as a precious metal.
Hi Darby, interesting comment. I don't know that I ever thought about it quite like that? If you have a diamond, ruby or gold, you can make a ring, ear ring or pendant. These are only worn, but that's still use. Looking at them is how the material is appreciated.

An exotic blade steel really is a "Precious Metal" and putting it into a knife is how it is put into a form that can be used. I agree with you and Rick, that to really appreciate these "precious metals" they must be used at least enough to experience their soul. Just looking at them isn't enough to appreciate their value.

sal

Now that I find a bit harsh. Some people here own >100 Spyderco knives. Hard to believe that all of them can be users. I for my part can say that I can appreciate my spydies even though I don't get to use them all heavily. I don't think I must feel badly for living in a city, where there's not much opportunity to abuse a knife, or dozens of knives, and still like owning and collecting them. Do you?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

There's plenty of room for users and collectors in this hobby. Don't know why it's always got to be one vs the other.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sal,

But are gemstones and precious metals valuable because they are beautiful or because they are rare? Seems like their value has a lot to do with how common they are and folks like the less common/more valuable materials. I think this is about status.

My point is that many folks want knives in exotic steels simply as a status symbol. They cannot tell you anything about 4V but internet wisdom has told them that it is special and that it is rare so they want it.

I am a steel geek and I see these as precious metals but not in the same way as some others do.

Archangel,

Nobody wants you to feel bad. The point is that you cannot appreciate what a steel is without using it a little. I can give you two different Para2s, one in S30V and one in S110V with everything else exactly the same, and you could stare at them forever and you would never see a difference.

SG,

I knew that would sound anti collector and at times I can be. I think that there should be plenty of room for both users and collectors in this hobby. That is why we are discussing how to handle super exclusive models. If here were enough to go around then the users and collectors wouldn’t have to but heads.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:54 pm
There's plenty of room for users and collectors in this hobby. Don't know why it's always got to be one vs the other.
Totally agree. And many of us are both.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:18 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
That is very true. Many are a combination of both. I consider myself both, because I seek out and collect certain models, but also use each one as I like to find the differences in the steels on that same platform. I think there are MANY others that are in the same boat.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I agree with both camps.

For instance I love my Spyderco Stretch1 with an SE blade. I love it so much I bought one to use and one to admire and if need be take the place of a lost one.

The same thing happened with the Delica in Cruwear and the recent Straight Spined stretch.

Sal I have to admit you are right about precious metal, there has never been the incredible steels like we have today and put into functional fit and form is truly precious.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:25 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:18 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
That is very true. Many are a combination of both. I consider myself both, because I seek out and collect certain models, but also use each one as I like to find the differences in the steels on that same platform. I think there are MANY others that are in the same boat.
I guess I'm a little of both too but I consider myself more of a accumulator than collector. I tend to buy the models and variations I like. I always intend to use but sometimes something else comes along and sometimes it takes awhile before some are actually used. I've had my Rex45 PM2 & Para 3 since they dropped. Both have been carried and used a little but not regularly. I finally put a new set of shoes (scales) on the Para 3 so that'll see a lot more pocket time now.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I for one definitely appreciate the diversity of models that Spyderco is able to bring to us via sprints and exclusives. I'd hate to lose that.

If anything, maybe a meta-analysis of how well combinations of model, handle material, and steel move is merited. For example, I'm not surprised that sprint runs of the military don't move nearly as fast.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Nothing wrong with being a collector of users. Or a being a collector of treasure knifes. We all do what we do and like what we like. The funny thing about this whole topic is, back when I collected Zippos, I was often criticized for using the valuable ones. So much so that I stopped being part of that community and eventually zippo altogether. Who cares if I’m using my $400 solid titanium zippo to light cigarettes? They did. And also felt it was unfair to a collector who had been searching for one for years. All because I posted a pic in use. Go figure :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

My apologies, Michael, I didn't mean to offend or differentiate. I'm a pretty hard core collector. I wasn't suggesting abuse, I was suggesting that you just experience the cut. When I get a new "Precious metal" model, I will at least cut my sushi with it on Friday night before parking it. :D

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 am
Hi Blacksprucy,

Welcome to our forum.

A custom shop is not possible with all of the variety we provide. You might contact a custom maker licensed to use our trademarks to make custom variations?

sal
is there a list of makers that you've licensed? This is intriguing.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Yeah, there's gotta be a way to keep collectors happy AND get fun, cool tool steels in the hands of those who want them, but don't want to fight the instagram clout crowd to get them - oh well, at least K390 is coming soon
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

2 suggestions on how to possibly make things run smoother:

1. Dealer announces a generous pre-order period (let’s say 2 weeks for example). Customers now have 2 weeks to place their pre-order, for the full amount. Orders are still limited to one per household, as usual.
Once orders are placed, production begins.
Dealers just need to make it clear that these are built to order & may take a little while longer to be built and shipped.
*And the dealer can still pre-pay in advance to have some built & ready to go for the first customers who order.

2. Allow for repeat runs of dealer exclusives, for the dealers who want them.
At most, just make a note of “2nd run”, “3rd run”, etc on the box label, so that the handful of people who actually care about that can say “mine is 1st edition” or whatever.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Haunted House wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:45 pm
2 suggestions on how to possibly make things run smoother:

1. Dealer announces a generous pre-order period (let’s say 2 weeks for example). Customers now have 2 weeks to place their pre-order, for the full amount. Orders are still limited to one per household, as usual.
Once orders are placed, production begins.
Dealers just need to make it clear that these are built to order & may take a little while longer to be built and shipped.
*And the dealer can still pre-pay in advance to have some built & ready to go for the first customers who order.

At most, just make a note of “2nd run”, “3rd run”, etc on the box label, so that the handful of people who actually care about that can say “mine is 1st edition” or whatever.
The problem with prepaying is that there are so many variables during the production and manufacturing process, that nothing is guaranteed. Personally, I wouldn't be a fan of crowdfunding for every exclusive I want.

And fortunately, dealers are allowed to order as many runs of their exclusives as they want.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Haunted House wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:45 pm
Dealers can already order repeat runs of their exclusives

EDIT: Oops! Just realized Mr. Mushroom already noted this
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!