Me New Motto Mates!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Me New Motto Mates!

Post by Sharp Guy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:10 am
Massdrop (Now drop) does something similar with knives but the lead time is quite long. They've produced some pretty cool collaborations in the last few years with ferrum forge, Bob Terzuola and others made by WE, millit or reate. I paid <$100 for a titanium frame lock with g10 overlays in s35vn (ferrum forge/WE gent). Great little flipper particularly for the price.

However, some folks get really annoyed by their model and the long wait. Particularly if there are delays. Can't please all of the people all of the time. I'd be interested if Spyderco tried this way of doing small runs, but I have no idea if it makes business sense or if it's worth trading one kind of annoyed customer for another. :D
The Super Gold Delica and Endura were done through Massdrop
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
archangel

Re: Me New Motto Mates!

Post by archangel »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:13 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:10 am
Massdrop (Now drop) does something similar with knives but the lead time is quite long. They've produced some pretty cool collaborations in the last few years with ferrum forge, Bob Terzuola and others made by WE, millit or reate. I paid <$100 for a titanium frame lock with g10 overlays in s35vn (ferrum forge/WE gent). Great little flipper particularly for the price.

However, some folks get really annoyed by their model and the long wait. Particularly if there are delays. Can't please all of the people all of the time. I'd be interested if Spyderco tried this way of doing small runs, but I have no idea if it makes business sense or if it's worth trading one kind of annoyed customer for another. :D
The Super Gold Delica and Endura were done through Massdrop
Yep. They weren't exactly cheap, but they were around for some time, and even in more than one run iirc. I was in the lucky position that I was fluent when they reappeared.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...