Me New Motto Mates!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Me New Motto Mates!

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

“If I like it and it is easy and available to purchase I will.”

You know I like many, many others are the customer somehow things have gotten a bit twisted up here in the land of Spyderco as seen yet again with the Knife Joker thread and the bitter disappointment of those missing out on yet another Spyderco product.

Since when does a product poor distribution practices drive the customer? Lol at the end of the day these are just knives, just knives.

Somehow the positions are reversed and the buyer is now the one having to jump through hoops to spend their money.

I do not like that.

I believe this business model is intentional now as it keeps happening.

I will not support that.
legOFwhat?

Re: Me New Motto Mates!

Post by legOFwhat? »

Great, I read that in Nick Nolte's voice :rolleyes:
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Lol great series ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Morgan Freeman voice for me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

It is the way.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it seems a lot of people are getting sick of this trend. i doubt its enough to stop it though. i’ve brought it up multiple times on this forum over the last couple of years and i’m usually shut down by the disciples of spyderco. i love my spyderco knives and appreciate the company, but we should be able to have honest discussions and objective views.
it’s pretty freeing to not care about sprints, exclusives, or flash batches, or even the shaman for that matter. i didn’t even know this mess was going on.
if a knife is worth making, just make it and make enough. people will buy it. i don’t want some special knife i won’t use because it was limited and now it’s gone forever.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SG89

Post by SG89 »

No need to stop it just don't participate in it. Let the people that like the thrill go for sprints and exclusives and you can focus on production knives with designs that appeal to you. I used to go for sprints and exclusives and now I'm design-focused. I don't need exotic steel for my uses, s30v or vg10 are just fine for me. If you want exotic steels tho you gotta play the sprint game, and i feel your pain there
Spydergirl88
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i just wish spyderco would devote the time they are giving to all these small runs toward regular production. they were already building up production models being sold in a variety of steels, but that seems to have fallen off a little in favor of this model. i thought we were going to see more production lc200n. what happened to that? that’s really what i’m waiting for.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Vote with your wallet.

It is a hobby. It is supposed to be fun. If it is not then you are doing it wrong and you should change something.

Desire is the root cause of suffering. Spend more time enjoying what you do have and less time lamenting what you do not have. You will be happier and healthier and you will enjoy the hobby more. Chasing the next consumer high is not the path to fulfillment.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jdw

Post by jdw »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:45 am
No need to stop it just don't participate in it. Let the people that like the thrill go for sprints and exclusives and you can focus on production knives with designs that appeal to you. I used to go for sprints and exclusives and now I'm design-focused. I don't need exotic steel for my uses, s30v or vg10 are just fine for me. If you want exotic steels tho you gotta play the sprint game, and i feel your pain there
The whole individual retailer exclusive game has become over the top. Sprints and wholesale distributor exclusives at least have multiple outlets with different drop times that allows a reasonable chance to purchase a model if you really want one. It seems to me that these very limited runs create more frustration than fun. And they are definitely benefiting more flippers than Afi's. I am with you on steel choices. I find myself carrying my 440C Cat more and more every day.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

So, it seems like the issue with dealer exclusives is simply limited numbers. Supply not meeting demand. For the most part, we all can forgive snafus with release times, website issues, etc, so long as people can eventually buy the knife they're after. The problem with supply is that smaller dealers "didn't know what the response would be" (quoting KJ's IG video there) when they commission an exclusive, so they order small quantities. And those smaller dealers especially can't afford to do otherwise. It'd be taking a huge risk. So a pretty simple solution seems to be that these dealers announce the first runs of their exclusives as "test runs," then commit to ordering more if demand is high. I doubt spyderco could or would want to enforce that officially, but I think it'd be a best practice for small dealers moving forward. Limit their risks while keeping customers happy. Or perhaps more extensive market research is in order before an exclusive is commissioned in the first place (but that also might be difficult for smaller dealers to do).

In the end, though, these are just things we're talking about. Things we love, but don't need. I think there are workable solutions out there, but if they never happen, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

It is only February, I bet 2020 will have some more LC200N models show up.
Spydergirl88
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

This is the way.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

For the past few years I have skipped all of the 'short supply, sprint, flash, sell out in a day exclusive' batches. Maybe I'm too old for it, maybe I just don't care, maybe I don't need something that special to cut my steak. Whatever the reason, I simply decided to get off the ride.

However I'm not going to suggest Spyderco change their process just to suit me. There are lots of people in this community and some people like the thrill of the chase. For those that do, they should be able to have their fun too.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

I thought I missed my opportunity to own a Super Blue spydie. I thought I missed my opportunity to own a Super Gold spydie.

Now I do, and I didn't pay extra for nasty secondary market offers. They just popped out at retailers, and I was lucky enough to have been fluent at that times.

I have not buried yet my hope to own a Damasteel spydie some day. Sometimes good things happen to those who are worthy. And patient.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
jdw

Post by jdw »

archangel wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:15 pm
I thought I missed my opportunity to own a Super Blue spydie. I thought I missed my opportunity to own a Super Gold spydie.

Now I do, and I didn't pay extra for nasty secondary market offers. They just popped out at retailers, and I was lucky enough to have been fluent at that times.

I have not buried yet my hope to own a Damasteel spydie some day. Sometimes good things happen to those who are worthy. And patient.

You are right on. I have picked up several disco'd and hard to find Spydies at a reasonable price. Most have been from people on this board selling on BF.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
sal

Post by sal »

It's a problem for us as well. We have numerous companies wanting exclusives....far more than you currently see. We always encourage them to make larger amounts, but they are afraid of getting stuck with inventory.

Kelly, our Director of Sales and Marketing has been dealing with this issue quite a bit lately. Naturally, we're always open to suggestions. Good ideas are always good ideas.

I'll bring this thread to the attention of sales.

sal
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

I do not see the problem. I've been able to get any sprints/exclusives I was interested in. Just set a reminder and be ready when the drop happens. I understand shops not wanting to sit on a few thousand units of pricy exclusives if they don't sell as quickly as expected.

This is a very niche product with a small number of knife junkies making up the target market - not many casual knife users will be willing to spend $200 on a limited production knife. This leads to a very inelastic demand, and it's not exactly easy to predict what is the right number of units to order. 200? 500? 1000? 5000?

That said, I do think most exclusive orders could stand to be larger. Maybe around 1000 units.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Is the hype there BECAUSE they're an exclusive?
How does a retailer gauge the success?

Every year Spyderco whips out a few knives that end up discontinued and blown out on sale - the rex45/pakkawood shaman actually took a few days to clear out, and those flippers are making $40 at most...
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

I think it depends on the steel. Anything in 3V, Cruwear or 4V sells instantly. Knives in K390 and M390 also sell very fast. But on the other hand, the first Rex 45 sprints from 2018 took over a year to sell out. This new batch of Rex 45 sprints seem to be selling faster. I suspect that's because of Shawn's videos that highlighted the edge stability of Rex 45.