Me New Motto Mates!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Me New Motto Mates!

Post by JuPaul »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:53 pm
Is the hype there BECAUSE they're an exclusive?
How does a retailer gauge the success?

Every year Spyderco whips out a few knives that end up discontinued and blown out on sale - the rex45/pakkawood shaman actually took a few days to clear out, and those flippers are making $40 at most...
My guess is they ordered a big run, though. That solves a lot of these issues (from the consumer end, at least). But then you see the Fradon Lock delica, which presumably was also a big order, and has been around for ages and marked down multiple times. A big run is a big risk for dealers.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I agree that everyone needs to calm themselves.
I get that the fear of missing out is real.
I also get that dealers have a fear of not hitting an exclusive out of the park.
I kinda like the idea of batches.

I have spoken
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

DukeNiemand wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:58 pm
I think it depends on the steel. Anything in 3V, Cruwear or 4V sells instantly. Knives in K390 and M390 also sell very fast. But on the other hand, the first Rex 45 sprints from 2018 took over a year to sell out. This new batch of Rex 45 sprints seem to be selling faster. I suspect that's because of Shawn's videos that highlighted the edge stability of Rex 45.
Not entirely true. The cruwear/smooth g10 native at knife center hung around for weeks or months.
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:51 pm
DukeNiemand wrote:
I think it depends on the steel. Anything in 3V, Cruwear or 4V sells instantly. Knives in K390 and M390 also sell very fast. But on the other hand, the first Rex 45 sprints from 2018 took over a year to sell out. This new batch of Rex 45 sprints seem to be selling faster. I suspect that's because of Shawn's videos that highlighted the edge stability of Rex 45.
Not entirely true. The cruwear/smooth g10 native at knife center hung around for weeks or months.
Fair. The native is less popular. I was thinking of the Shaman sprints in Cruwear, 3V, and 4V that all sold out fast.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If that Native had anything but smooth, black G10...it would have been gone in a day.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

DukeNiemand wrote:
Really? From what I remember, all three routinely sold out within minutes of being in stock. Especially the PM2 and Para 3.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i own one exclusive. it’s the knifecenter xhp manix 2 lw. i bought it pretty early on after my return to spyderco before this was such a problem. i don’t think it sold well because i had time to think about it. it was really a no-brainer though since it was only about $5 more than the bd1 version. i’m glad i have it, but i doubt i’ll ever take part in any others. i wouldn’t have this manix if it had gone anything like the more recent exclusives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
semfi1345

Post by semfi1345 »

You're right, it is intentional. I don't understand why people don't realize that not everyone gets an exclusive/sprint; only so many are made = not everyone gets one. I missed every single Rex-45 sprint yet I didn't complain because that's life. Do people not realize that Spyderco is literally the only production knife company putting out these configurations we all want and we want that to stop??? Yeah, it would be nice if everyone could get every sprint/exclusive but that's not possible if you have any sort of common sense when it comes to running a business.
SPY-27 and CPM-Cruwear are peak performance...for me.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I don’t think anyone wants the sprints to stop, but surely they want larger quantities. That makes it more likely that AFIs will get one and it reduces the incentive for the flippers, i.e. better supply, lower profit potential.

Anyway, the current system seems to cause more grief than joy, so something has to give.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

semfi1345 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:20 pm
You're right, it is intentional. I don't understand why people don't realize that not everyone gets an exclusive/sprint; only so many are made = not everyone gets one. I missed every single Rex-45 sprint yet I didn't complain because that's life. Do people not realize that Spyderco is literally the only production knife company putting out these configurations we all want and we want that to stop??? Yeah, it would be nice if everyone could get every sprint/exclusive but that's not possible if you have any sort of common sense when it comes to running a business.
Yeah go figure. The whole thread seems kind of silly to me. This company keeps putting out really popular dealer exclusives and it needs to stop because everyone can't get one. I still think if they gave out participation awards there wouldn't be so many sad faces.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:53 pm
DukeNiemand wrote:
Really? From what I remember, all three routinely sold out within minutes of being in stock. Especially the PM2 and Para 3.
The Millie Rex 45 took a long time to sell out. I got mine last summer, about a year after they dropped.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

So, to recap. A fair number of people "want what they want, when they want it, with the least effort on their part, and as cheap as possible". At least it seems that way to me from what's been said in this thread and another recent one.

There is a solution for anyone who wants "first dibs" on Sprints and Exclusives, it's called the Silver Level of the Spyderco Collectors Club. The downside is that you have to buy all of them, not just the ones you feel entitled to own. You also have to buy the "base model" of every new knife Spyderco produces. Of course, you're free to sell off the knives you don't want to keep. There's also the fact that all the knives will have your CC number on them, which some here hate. On the upside, you are guaranteed to get every knife you want and, since you are committing to buy all these knives from your chosen dealer, you might be able to negotiate a price lower than MAP for at least some of them if you shop dealers before joining the club.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blacksprucy

Post by Blacksprucy »

double tap

sal
Blacksprucy

Post by Blacksprucy »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:12 pm
It's a problem for us as well. We have numerous companies wanting exclusives....far more than you currently see. We always encourage them to make larger amounts, but they are afraid of getting stuck with inventory.

Kelly, our Director of Sales and Marketing has been dealing with this issue quite a bit lately. Naturally, we're always open to suggestions. Good ideas are always good ideas.

I'll bring this thread to the attention of sales.

sal

I personally believe the solution is to keep sprint/exclusives as is.

However, at the same time develop a Spyderco "custom shop" option like how Benchmade does. Basically allow people to configure certain knives the way they want (within limits) - scale colour, blade steel, etc. The only difference would be to sell these factory custom knives at full MSRP prices directly off of the Spyderco website.

Then if someone misses out on a dealer exclusive at the lower price, the option is still out there for them to essentially build the same knife. Of course this would be at a higher price point if sold at MSRP, but this price would no doubt be much lower than the Ebay flipper prices. This would then kill off the practice of flippers buying up dealer exclusives for the sole purpose of flipping at a much inflated price.

Even with a custom shop option - I think that people will still flock to the dealer exclusives in their present volumes, due to the lower prices.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

If you see something you like, and you have money, buy it.
If you see something you like, and you have no money, you can't buy it.
If you see something you like, and it's not for sale to you, you can't buy it.

You shall not covet your neighbor's house.
You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male or female
servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:12 pm
It's a problem for us as well. We have numerous companies wanting exclusives....far more than you currently see. We always encourage them to make larger amounts, but they are afraid of getting stuck with inventory.

Kelly, our Director of Sales and Marketing has been dealing with this issue quite a bit lately. Naturally, we're always open to suggestions. Good ideas are always good ideas.

I'll bring this thread to the attention of sales.

sal
Sal if I could buy some of the steel and model configurations at leisure I would buy more Knives. It’s not the handle colour that annoys me missing out it’s the knife
ie: make the handle colour and steel a sprint for company whoever but make a black handle and steel available also.

It kills me now days to see so many threads here about knives I can’t even buy.

Don’t get me wrong love your product, but feel I’m excluded from more than half of the good stuff
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Part of the fun is going after knives that I want in limited configurations. I also buy regular production models. I enjoy the hobby immensely. I do get a little frustrated when a particular knife is only available from some place difficult or impossible fir me to buy from. Otherwise, I am as happy as a fat hog in a deep mud puddle.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
benben

Post by benben »

Hopweaver wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:55 am
For the past few years I have skipped all of the 'short supply, sprint, flash, sell out in a day exclusive' batches. Maybe I'm too old for it, maybe I just don't care, maybe I don't need something that special to cut my steak. Whatever the reason, I simply decided to get off the ride.

However I'm not going to suggest Spyderco change their process just to suit me. There are lots of people in this community and some people like the thrill of the chase. For those that do, they should be able to have their fun too.
This is me exactly!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:47 pm
I don’t think anyone wants the sprints to stop, but surely they want larger quantities. That makes it more likely that AFIs will get one and it reduces the incentive for the flippers, i.e. better supply, lower profit potential.

Anyway, the current system seems to cause more grief than joy, so something has to give.
Well said. I will add Sal appears to agree with this also from some of his most recent posts and have faith he will untangle this mess.

It is very strange the Department Stores like Sear refuses to stock Product, the internet came along and the retailers with physical locations still refused to carry stock of advertised items preferring to say we can order that for you.

Many of these long time retailers like Circuit City no longer exist. Sears is rapidly evaporating.

I call it the Death Cry of the retailer, “We can order it for you” 6 little words.

Clearly the time to sell is when the customer is present willing to buy. When the customer can order it for themselves who needs Sears?

They did it to themselves.

Now we have all these internet essentially mail order entities and they are pulling the same crap. They do not want to take the associated risk that comes with business so they take their business degrees and hatch their schemes.

They order short quantities on purpose because they don’t want to get stuck with product that does not move.

By way of explaining this it is supposed to be alright??

Wow talk about snowflake society that buys into justification being a sufficient reason for anything so long as you can explain it away.

Seems to me as Sal has been busy crafting creating designing and going to shows and running a business that the outlets who I call the tail have been waging the dog which is Spyderco.

They remind me of the retailers, they should be worried if Spyderco does crowd sourced funding for designs having the money up front to remove their risk and drop these middlemen selling direct they are done for.

Just to be clear I do not care about online sellers they are not necessary and any crying about having too much stock does not impress me at all.

Shipping receiving sending orders is all they want to do for a profit, without risk, hmm must be nice, sorry but I have no feeling for any sellers.

All respect to Spyderco, they just don’t need retailers ticking off their repeat customer base.

I think it is time for Spyderco to say look you order this amount or you do not get it and those that will not, get dropped in favor of those that will. I think their are too many resellers these days anyway and they have all gotten spoiled.

How many online sellers does one need anyway? I am pretty sure that this is a side business to many.

I can only think of 4 off hand that I buy from repeatedly and quite honestly if only 1 had the Spyderco knives I buy then that would be even better.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

semfi1345 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:20 pm
I'll add... Sypderco doesn't have infinite production capacity. Could they devote that capacity so that retailer X can have 2,000 units of their exclusive? Sure, but the consequence is retailer Y doesn't get to have an exclusive. I'd rather have more choices than less. Life is too short to whine about things like this.

Plus for all we know, the retailers prefer the small batches. The amount of marketing and hype it appears to generate (just look at all the wasted energy expended on this forum) has to be worth far more than ever could be achieved through other means.