Endela (-sized "middle ground" knife) in the "Pac Salt family"?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Endela (-sized "middle ground" knife) in the "Pac Salt family"?!

Post by sal »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:27 pm
sal wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:15 pm
Hi Warstein,

I'm watching sales on the Endela before thinking about a Salt version which will require new FRN tooling so we can make it without the liners.

sal
Out of curiosity, why not just switch the lineup of the Delica / Endura / Endela, over to liner-less just like all the FRN Natives? That would solve all the cost issue of two different FRN molds. It would also get rid of all the problems that liners create - clip wobble, easier threads to strip than the longer thread inserts, corrosion, trapping moisture and debis.

1) Some people like liners.
2) We don't have enough history with the new Native thread inserts for a long term.
3) There is some theory that liners keep pivots ( blade and lock ) more secure over the long haul of hard use.

sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:46 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Warstein,

I'm watching sales on the Endela before thinking about a Salt version which will require new FRN tooling so we can make it without the liners.

sal
Out of curiosity, why not just switch the lineup of the Delica / Endura / Endela, over to liner-less just like all the FRN Natives? That would solve all the cost issue of two different FRN molds. It would also get rid of all the problems that liners create - clip wobble, easier threads to strip than the longer thread inserts, corrosion, trapping moisture and debis.

2) We don't have enough history with the new Native thread inserts for a long term.
3) There is some theory that liners keep pivots ( blade and lock ) more secure over the long haul of hard use.

sal
Sal, thank you for once again taking the time to answer my questions. As for number 3, is that from greater rigidity, better wear resistance of metal liners and washers in the pivot and lock bar areas, a combination of the those and other factors? I'm quite impressed with how solid my example of the Native 5 LW is.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:20 pm
sal wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:46 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Warstein,

sal

sal
Sal, thank you for once again taking the time to answer my questions. As for number 3, is that from greater rigidity, better wear resistance of metal liners and washers in the pivot and lock bar areas, a combination of the those and other factors? I'm quite impressed with how solid my example of the Native 5 LW is.

I theory number 3 sounds almost obvious ("metal should wear out slower than plastic").

On the other hand: Can´t remember long time Pac Salt users (Vivi being one example) complaining about the development of excessive blade play or other similar issues..

I haven´t owned my Pac Salt long enough (and didn´t own my Native 5 LW long enough) to be able to give a valid opinion. But both seem to be very solid, my Pac Salt has definitely seen some use so far, and the lockup still is like on the day I got it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Now that the Endela is talked about quite a bit, I wanted to revive this almost one year old thread:
I still think an "Endela Salt" (so basically a linerless, LC200N Endela, whatever it will be called in the end) would be a great knife in the Manix/PM2 size category...

This is what Sal said back then (quote): "Hi Warstein,I'm watching sales on the Endela before thinking about a Salt version which will require new FRN tooling so we can make it without the liners. Sal" (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85893#p1398623).

Wonder how the situation is now almost a year later...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

On the linerless Salt knives, such as the Salt 2 and the PAC Salt 2 knives, I like the D4/E4 handles. However, I wouldn’t mind seeing them ‘solid’ on the inside (like the D3/E3 handles were), without the ‘waffle pattern’ (I forget the word) that reduces the weight. It would be slightly heavier, but also slightly heftier (maybe). It would also be easier to keep grime buildup out of the inside. Just throwing that out there, even though it will never happen. :)

Jim
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:42 pm
Now that the Endela is talked about quite a bit, I wanted to revive this almost one year old thread:
I still think an "Endela Salt" (so basically a linerless, LC200N Endela, whatever it will be called in the end) would be a great knife in the Manix/PM2 size category...

This is what Sal said back then (quote): "Hi Warstein,I'm watching sales on the Endela before thinking about a Salt version which will require new FRN tooling so we can make it without the liners. Sal" (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85893#p1398623).

Wonder how the situation is now almost a year later...

I'm fully on board. The Endela is my go to at the moment. An Endela Salt would be fantastic.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

An Endela Salt would be perfect in size. Of course, it would have to be FFG.

Jim
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Mediterranean is a Sea. Go with off-white handle and call it the Arctic Salt.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Endela Salt please. Just about the perfect size for me. Ok to be honest, I'd rather have a straight spine Stretch 2 Salt... but I'm sure I'm in the minority there.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'm still interested in an Endela sized Salt, whether it be an Endela, Stretch, or even the new Rock Jumper.
bruce91748

Post by bruce91748 »

I'd love an Endela Salt also. As to the Pacific Salt 2 LC200N, at first I thought it'd be too large to carry daily but I'm now carrying it daily when I take my dog to the trails as there are coyote, mountain lion, etc. around here. And due to it being so light, so much lighter than a regular Endura, it disappears in my pocket and at the same time can give me the reach if a pack of coyote come attacking my dog and me. If there's an Endela Salt, it'll probably be no more than 2.2 oz. and I'll most likely carry it in my left pocket as a backup to the Pacific Salt in my right.
Last edited by bruce91748 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

bobnikon wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:33 pm
Mediterranean is a Sea. Go with off-white handle and call it the Arctic Salt.
Sea, ocean - still salty water, right? Mediterranean is a perfect name for the in-between “middle” size between Delica and Endura sizes. It literally means “in the middle of the land (or earth)” because of how it’s surrounded by the ancient world of Western civilization.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Sorry to digress from the topic, butI'm looking at this image, and can't seem to overlook that Pac Salt first gen is just a tiny bit bigger than Endela, but has a substantial increase in edge.

Is this photo effect (Endela is closer to lens) or what?
tangent

Post by tangent »

I don’t think it’s an illusion. This is why many of us, myself included, like the old PacSalt handle over the newer one. A bit more ‘compact’ and slightly easier to carry.
tangent

Post by tangent »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:14 pm
On the linerless Salt knives, such as the Salt 2 and the PAC Salt 2 knives, I like the D4/E4 handles. However, I wouldn’t mind seeing them ‘solid’ on the inside (like the D3/E3 handles were), without the ‘waffle pattern’ (I forget the word) that reduces the weight. It would be slightly heavier, but also slightly heftier (maybe). It would also be easier to keep grime buildup out of the inside. Just throwing that out there, even though it will never happen. :)

Jim
I have been advocating for a completely linerless version of all Delicas, enduras, etc for years. I know some people like liners, but just not sure it really matters. My linerless knives (salt knives) have all held up exceptionally well over time. (some for 10+ years)

Linerless is simpler and lighter while not really sacrificing anything IMO. I don’t know if it will ever come to be, but I’ll keep advocating for it in these forums. :)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I love the old style E3 handle style. I even like the volcano grip more.Never understood the transition to that ugly E4 style handle. The Endela handle on all honesty is, let’s say, ... acceptable. It offers quite good ergos and is compact enough.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Jesting Devil

Post by Jesting Devil »

I find the the endela (3.5in) to be the perfect edc size. I don’t have one yet mainly because I’m hoping for a salt version, FFG LC200 in green would be even better!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Jesting Devil wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:34 pm
I find the the endela (3.5in) to be the perfect edc size. I don’t have one yet mainly because I’m hoping for a salt version, FFG LC200 in green would be even better!
The Endela is indeed a “just right” size for many uses. It is also the first knife in years that I have actually lost! I keep thinking it’ll show up but it’s been a few months now. I also lost the spare key/remote to my work van at around the same time, so I’m hoping I’ll find them together someplace soon. I hardly got to use it before it vanished.

When I once again get dressed up, the Endura/Caribbean size is too big for dress pants. The Endela is enough bigger than a Delica to add real utility while being slim and lightweight in pocket.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

tangent wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:39 am
I have been advocating for a completely linerless version of all Delicas, enduras, etc for years. I know some people like liners, but just not sure it really matters. My linerless knives (salt knives) have all held up exceptionally well over time. (some for 10+ years)

Linerless is simpler and lighter while not really sacrificing anything IMO. I don’t know if it will ever come to be, but I’ll keep advocating for it in these forums. :)
I agree with you. The early Delicas and Enduras with integrally molded plastic clips were linerless. The Native 5 Line has gone linerless in both FRN and G10. I prefer the enhanced corrosion resistance of not having liners, and the more solid clip screw mounting that the thread inserts provide.
FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

There is a gap for sure in the salt family ....
Anything in the 3inch edge lenght would fit the gap:
- Endela lw salt
- Stretch straight spine lw salt
- PM2 lw salt

There are many versions of 2.5inch edge length with salt2/tasman..../native 5 salt/maybe pm3 lw salt coming
There are many versions of 3.5inch edge length with pacific salt/caribbean/siren

But nothing in between ... Don't have any preferences but maybe a Stretch Straight Spine LW Salt would get my vote :=)

My 2 apples

FB