Endela (-sized "middle ground" knife) in the "Pac Salt family"?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Endela (-sized "middle ground" knife) in the "Pac Salt family"?!

Post by Wartstein »

[Another revival of the thread Feb. 16 2023]

["Revival" of the thread Jan. 13. 2021 ;)]

With the implementation of the Endela, the "Endura family" got a "middle ground model" sized between Endura and Delica (though as a matter of fact closer to the Endura than the Delica)

I think it would be great if in the (backlock) Salt line the "gap" between Salt 2 (Delica size) and Pac Salt 2 (Endura size) would also be filled with an Endela sized "middle ground" model (called "Mediterrean Salt" ot whatever... ;) )

Who´d also like to see such a model? An Endela sized "Mediterrean Salt" would be legal in more places (blade length under 3.5) and offer a still generous handle with a not too short, but rather compact and very versatile working blade.

For reference:

Pac Salt 2: Closed length:4.98 (126mm), blade length: 3.78 (96mm)
Endela: Closed length: 4.69 (119mm), blade length: 3.41 (87mm)
Salt 2: Closed length: 4.25 (108 mm), blade length: 3.00 (76mm)
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Re: Endela (-sized "middle ground" knife) in the "Pac Salt family"?!

Post by Bloke »

I’d buy one for sure, Gernot, but only if it had superb ergonomics. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
phaust

Post by phaust »

Love the idea!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I've been procrastinating on posting a thread of the same idea. The Delica is too small for me, and the Endura is larger than I want to carry. There are times when I want something a bit bigger than a Native 5 though. I'd be happy to see more of the Endura family go liner-less with thread inserts for clip mounting, just like so much of the Native 5 family has. An Endela sized Salt would scratch that itch for me.
Bloke wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:39 pm
The Salt treatment of deleting the liners would give you much more flexibility to take out the rotary tool and customize the grip to your liking.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’d for sure buy one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tangent

Post by tangent »

Yes
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I like it ... but i'd prefer the Stretch.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Im still sad the Pacific Salt moved to the Endura 4 handle....
Justin
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

crazywednesday wrote: Im still sad the Pacific Salt moved to the Endura 4 handle....
I am too but Im hoping there is some hope. I was looking at the pictures of the pacific salt 2 in the last reveal and comparing them with my endura 4. It looks like, in the pictures anyway, that the larger spyderhole causes the thumb ramp to rise at a steeper angle and seems to push the thumb ramb back just a bit compared to my endura 4. Im really hoping this forces my hand back on the handle just a little bit more, so my middle finger will rest behind the first point and not want to rest on it like it does with my endura 4 handle. I wont know until I get one in hand though. I also realize there are many other differences between those two handle shapes that many people like or dislike but for me that is my main issue. I wouldnt mind if spyderco just got rid of those "points" all together.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Maybe Im seeing things but the thumb ramps do look slightly different to me. I hope I like it better over the endura 4.
Attachments
20200202_033004.png
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:32 am
Maybe Im seeing things but the thumb ramps do look slightly different to me. I hope I like it better over the endura 4.

Just by rougly measuring the angles of the thumb ramps on the pics: You´re most likely right, the angle of the Pac Salt thumb ramp IS indeed steeper than the Endura ramp.

I personally find the Endura 4 ergos perfect and better than on the E3 /Pac Salt 1, so I welcome the change from Pac Salt 1 to Pac Salt 2.
Furthermore I rarely put my finger ON the ramp, but most of the time on the side of the blade on the area of the opening hole, so the particular angle of thumb ramp is not an issue for me

Still I hope that the most likely steeper ramp on the Pac Salt 2 is an improvement for you! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:39 pm

Well, I think a "Pac Salt Endela" would just feature a (linerless), slightly thicker Endela-handle.. (thicker, since the Pac Salt 2 handle is also slightly thicker than the Endura 4 handle while otherwise having the exact same shape).

I love the Endura 4 ergos and the Endela feels almost the exact same in hand, maybe slightly more comfortable due to the mellowed out "points" between the finger placements and a slightly wider handle.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:32 pm
I like it ... but i'd prefer the Stretch.

CG

The Stretch is great indeed (though for me it´s Stretch 1 > Endela > Stretch 2)!

But I think it´s much more likely that the idea of basically "the same" knife in three sizes (Endura - Endela - Delica) will be transferred to the Seki Salt backlocks (since two already exist: Pac Salt - Salt 2)

I am not a sailor or skipper at all, but I imagine that an "Endela Salt" could be the perfect knife and size for work on a boat or ship in Salt water: Generous handle, compact, but not too short blade. Great work knife, large enough for most tasks.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:32 am
The ramp on the Pac Salt 2 does look to have a slightly steeper pitch. I wonder if the blade is just a bit taller there to accommodate the 14mm hole vs the 13mm hole on the Endura.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just for illustration (pic below:Pac Salt, Endela, Endura), should anyone not have a clear idea of the Endela size:

What I am advocating for in this thread is basically a shorter Pac Salt in Endela size, but still longer than the Salt 2. This "middle ground option" has already be done in the Endura family, I think the "Pac Salt family" should offer it too...

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Warstein,

I'm watching sales on the Endela before thinking about a Salt version which will require new FRN tooling so we can make it without the liners.

sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:15 pm
Hi Warstein,

I'm watching sales on the Endela before thinking about a Salt version which will require new FRN tooling so we can make it without the liners.

sal
Out of curiosity, why not just switch the lineup of the Delica / Endura / Endela, over to liner-less just like all the FRN Natives? That would solve all the cost issue of two different FRN molds. It would also get rid of all the problems that liners create - clip wobble, easier threads to strip than the longer thread inserts, corrosion, trapping moisture and debis.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Hi Warstein,

sal

Thanks, Sal!

So let´s hope the Endela sells well. It absolutely SHOULD, not only to justify a Salt version, since it is a great design.

You said in another thread though, that the Endura 4 would still outsell Endela and Stretch 2 combined.
I hope that means that the Endura sells outstandingly, and not that the Endela sells below expectations...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:27 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Warstein,

sal
Out of curiosity, why not just switch the lineup of the Delica / Endura / Endela, over to liner-less just like all the FRN Natives? That would solve all the cost issue of two different FRN molds. It would also get rid of all the problems that liners create - clip wobble, easier threads to strip than the longer thread inserts, corrosion, trapping moisture and debis.

You mean that the Pac Salt and the Endura should become the exact same knife, just one in H1 and the other in VG10 (HAP 40... or whatever)?

I really like linerless FRN, so I would not be totally opposed, on the other hand I like the different balance that liners give a knife too. And especially the option to get custom scales
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:34 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:27 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Warstein,

sal

You mean that the Pac Salt and the Endura should become the exact same knife, just one in H1 and the other in VG10 (HAP 40... or whatever)?

I really like linerless FRN, so I would not be totally opposed, on the other hand I like the different balance that liners give a knife too. And especially the option to get custom scales
Yes, just like the Native 5 FRN and the Native 5 Salt are the same knife, just with the handle color and small hardware changed based on the blade steel.