Endela (-sized "middle ground" knife) in the "Pac Salt family"?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
StuntZombie

Re: Endela (-sized "middle ground" knife) in the "Pac Salt family"?!

Post by StuntZombie »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:03 pm
I love the old style E3 handle style. I even like the volcano grip more.Never understood the transition to that ugly E4 style handle. The Endela handle on all honesty is, let’s say, ... acceptable. It offers quite good ergos and is compact enough.
I think one reason why was to make it easier to service the knives for warranty purposes. I guess there were also requests to be able to carry the FRN models tip down, something that couldn't be accomplished using the barrel bolt setup on the clip. But I'm with you. I do miss those old solid FRN only handles.

I thought I was done buying knives for a bit, but the thought of a Salt Endela does entice me to open up the wallet again.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I would buy a LC200N Endela in heartbeat.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FCM415 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:29 pm

Me too.
When I started this thread Sal said (quote): "I'm watching sales on the Endela before thinking about a Salt version which will require new FRN tooling so we can make it without the liners" (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85893#p1398623).
Lately I have a feeling that the Endela is received pretty well, at least on this forum - ?! So perhaps there is hope for an "Endela Salt" - this would be a 2.3 oz knife with an PM2 cutting edge. Not bad.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

FCM415 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:29 pm

IMO, an Endela Salt would be great, especially if they keep the point as is, meaning reinforced, but without further “sheepfooting” the point, as on the Salt 2 and Pacific Salt 2 (compared to the Delica and Endura).

Jim
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

As much as I liked the Endela, I have to admit that I ultimately prefer the Rockjumper. I'm sure we'll get Salt versions of both, but I think I'm personally hoping for a "Rocksalt" first.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A Mediterranean Salt would get my dough. And not only for the name. SE H1, please.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ScottyD

Post by ScottyD »

I've been going back and forth on which one, the endela would answer it for me. Or a tanto pm2 lw with a spydie straight edge may sway me.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I'd definitely be interested in an Endela Salt. Only in LC200N though, my PE H1 Salt is pretty weak on edge retention, no desire for a repeat in that steel.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Gtscotty wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:54 am
...my PE H1 Salt is pretty weak on edge retention...
The reason...I see it.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Robbob wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:10 am
Gtscotty wrote:
The reason...I see it.
Yes, I've heard of the magical H1 SE edge holding, but if a steel can't hold a decent PE and be sharpened with one of my several plate based sharpening systems, I don't have time for it, magic or otherwise. H1 need no longer apply, but I think LC200N would do nicely.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A "Salt" Endela / Med. Salt would be even better if it got an a bit longer blade than the Endela itself. Like the Salt 2 ffg has compared to the Delica.
The Endela handle would offer quite a bit of space for more blade - filling this space in a linerless Salt model could result in one of the most perfect EDC knives ever.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I think it would be cool!

Since re-engineering and redesign is required, why not ask for that 2.5 mm blade stock?

That would make it much more appealing to me and probably some other enthusiasts while being plenty strong 'for the masses' and the ham-fisted.

Edit: a drop point Stretch version w 2.5mm blade would be BEST.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:35 am
Edit: a drop point Stretch version w 2.5mm blade would be BEST.
^This, I'd love a stretch salt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:35 am
I think it would be cool!

Since re-engineering and redesign is required, why not ask for that 2.5 mm blade stock?

An a tad longer blade AND that in 2.5mm stock in an Endela Salt?
Ok, THIS model (make it SE) could come very close to the most perfect EDC folder ever for me...

Actually, when there were just rumors about a knife between the Endura and the Delica (the then upcoming Endela): I was hoping that one feature it would take from the Delica (and not Endura) would be the 2.5 mm stock (but it got the 3mm of the Endura. Still not thick compared to other knives and even Spydies of course).
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Gtscotty wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:42 am
Robbob wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:10 am
Gtscotty wrote:
The reason...I see it.
Yes, I've heard of the magical H1 SE edge holding, but if a steel can't hold a decent PE and be sharpened with one of my several plate based sharpening systems, I don't have time for it, magic or otherwise. H1 need no longer apply, but I think LC200N would do nicely.
You're right about LC200N. In my experience, it's very easy to keep up a nice edge and holds it pretty well.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

This thread made me break out several knives and I think an easy solution is to use the Atlantic Salt handle but with a blade change. The Atlantic salt's handle is actually of comparable size to the Endela, the Stretch 2, and the Rockjumper. Of course those that are anti-choil may not like it but the handle feels very PM2 to me and that also seems to be a popular handle/size knife.... Tooling for the FRN would need almost no modifying. Ok time for me to get back to work.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:44 am
This thread made me break out several knives and I think an easy solution is to use the Atlantic Salt handle but with a blade change. The Atlantic salt's handle is actually of comparable size to the Endela, the Stretch 2, and the Rockjumper. Of course those that are anti-choil may not like it but the handle feels very PM2 to me and that also seems to be a popular handle/size knife.... Tooling for the FRN would need almost no modifying. Ok time for me to get back to work.

I thought exactly the same already... :)

Even started a poll about Atlantic Salt versions in drop point, leaf shape, wharnie...
See here, perhaps you´d like to vote? :rolleyes: viewtopic.php?t=88094
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Ah sorry my friend, I don't remember seeing that thread from almost 5 months ago. I'm really surprised it didn't get more traction.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:26 pm
Ah sorry my friend, I don't remember seeing that thread from almost 5 months ago. I'm really surprised it didn't get more traction.

Nothing to be sorry about - but great that you had the same idea and brought it up again!
... Like I back then just had an idea too that certainly MANY had before and that most likely was proposed and discussed several times here already. :)

Anyway: Just taking the already existing Atlantic Salt handle and give it one or several other blade(-shapes) would be an easy way to create a "middle ground" Salt knife indeed -
But as discussed in that thread (viewtopic.php?t=88094): Perhaps it would be too "old school" for some (not for ME though) - especially concerning how the clip is attached?!
bruce91748

Post by bruce91748 »

While waiting for an Endela Salt, I'm thinking of getting an Atlantic Salt PE and then grind down the spine somewhat. I can't stand the look of the Atlantic Salt, or is it just me???