Military Domination..(of my pocket). What Spydercos have surprised you to become your "go to"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dornbox

Re: Military Domination..(of my pocket). What Spydercos have surprised you to become your "go to"?

Post by Dornbox »

I started with a Para 3 and quickly jumped to the PM2. Went steel crazy and picked a up quite a few. Somewhere in middle I grabbed a ReX 45 Millie and wanted to love it so much but felt like it was way too large in my hand. Now I have a handful of Para 3 sprints, a ton of PM2s (I actually just bought the PM2 K390 and M390 bento box exclusives on Friday... and yet the single Millie I own has been my go to EDC for well over 6 months and is by far my favorite. I’m pretty sure Evil D told me that would happen about a year ago. Now I kick myself for passing up the Millie Exclusives that dropped last year. If Sal started a crazy release of military sprints, I’d go broke. Millie has unexpectedly stole my heart.
Too many Military family variants... and yet not enough.
:spyder:
Pancake

Re: Military Domination..(of my pocket). What Spydercos have surprised you to become your "go to"?

Post by Pancake »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:48 pm
I want a military but Im just waiting on the right sprint or exclusive to catch my eye. The standard model has gotten way too expensive.
Just waiting to see what the next military sprint will be.
Same here, I want Millie sprint run very badly, but I have a feeling that it is not going happen anytime soon, if ever.....two years passed and no sprint....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:13 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:48 pm
I want a military but Im just waiting on the right sprint or exclusive to catch my eye. The standard model has gotten way too expensive.
Just waiting to see what the next military sprint will be.
Same here, I want Millie sprint run very badly, but I have a feeling that it is not going happen anytime soon, if ever.....two years passed and no sprint....

Well, no capacities for that, cause the zillionst Para 3 variation is in the works... ;)

(Just kidding, they certainly know what they're doing and for whatever reason there will be high demand for the Para 3, and not enough for the Millie... :( )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Military sprint run would be a nice addition to Reveal 5...
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

S110V Military was my one and only EDC for 18 months.Loved the S110V steel and the blurple colour, but we all know, how it goes. Always want to try something new, so I switched to Delica wharncliffe with Salt 2 handles and never look back. Right now it rules my pocket for 12 months and counting ☺️
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Igi964 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:59 pm
S110V Military was my one and only EDC for 18 months.Loved the S110V steel and the blurple colour, but we all know, how it goes. Always want to try something new, so I switched to Delica wharncliffe with Salt 2 handles and never look back. Right now it rules my pocket for 12 months and counting ☺️

That's a big step "down" (JUST in size I mean!)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I missed the rex45 millie, not because they sold out fast, but because I kept waffling, and they were still in stock, so I waffled some more, until they were gone. Cést la vie!
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:54 pm
Igi964 wrote:

Yes, it is indeed. Wharncliffe fits my EDC cutting perfectly. Also the thin blade cuts very good. Military was a bit thick behind the edge:(. As much as I miss the absolute edge holding of S110V, I enjoy the slicing performance and ease of sharpening of Vg10 more. I am a fan of Spyderco for years, but I didin't had a Delica before. It was, and still is a big surprise for me how good the handle fits my hand. Thicker Salt 2 handle even more. Nice round edges, compact size, very lightweight ( 49grams), thin and slicy wharncliffe blade. Can' t belive how much I like it👍
Last edited by Igi964 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When I first EDCed an XHP version of the C-36 Military I thought it might be just tad bit too large for a normal Every Day Carry. But after a while it kind of grew on me. Then through a big trade I acquired an M390 Military and it was "Love At First Use" :D I've owned probably about eight of the C-36 Military models. I got my first one about 2003 I think it was and it was a 440V full SE model.

But since I've been EDCing my M390 Military I've had no desire to carry hardly any other. OH I do from time to time give it a break and rotate between my C-60 Ayoob and a couple of my Para2 models. But there is just something about the C-36 Military model especially with a SuperSteel blade that just puts another dimension on it entirely.

Yeah it's dominated most of my daily knife uses. It's going to take an awesome blade steel to give the M390 unit a break.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Igi964 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:22 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:54 pm
Igi964 wrote:

Yes, it is indeed. Wharncliffe fits my EDC cutting perfectly. Also the thin blade cuts very good. Military was a bit thick behind the edge:(. As much as I miss the absolute edge holding of S110V, I enjoy the slicing performance and ease of sharpening of Vg10 more. I am a fan of Spyderco for years, but I didin't had a Delica before. It was, and still is a big surprise for me how good the handle fits my hand. Thicker Salt 2 handle even more. Nice round edges, compact size, very lightweight ( 49grams), thin and slicy wharncliffe blade. Can' t belive how much I like it
Sounds great! I only have the "regular" Delica, but it´s my favorite small folder (besides the VERY small folder Chaparral ;) ) Does everything right imho for a small folder (and, tbh, better than other options even in Spydercos lineup): As you mentionend already: Thin, slicey, still strong enough blade, good, "roomy" four finger grip handle, Ricasso instead of choil (which shortens the actual grip area on the handle too much on a small folder imho), still easy to choke up on that Ricasso.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My PM2. Between it and the Autonomy, one of them is they're always in my pocket!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032