CPM SPY 27

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

CPM SPY 27

Post by gull wing »

Let's make it simple. Does it look like SPY 27 will be easier to sharpen than S30V?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
bearfacedkiller

Re: CPM SPY 27

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would say yes but only marginally. It will probably fall in between S30V/S35VN and VG10.

I would guess that XHP or CPM154 will sharpen up similar to SPY27.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

This is what I wanted to hear, XHP and CPM 154 are fine for me. Thanks
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

DBH does a good job talk about what the steel could be in this Instagram post.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Any idea when the first release will be?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’m waiting to hear what hardness they plan on treating it at... tempted to pre order but I’d be heartbroken if it’s 58hrc
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Ease of sharpening is a more complicated matter than it may seem. You also have to consider how WELL a steel sharpens.

The softer a steel is, and the lower the carbide volume will dictate how easy it is to grind, but those same qualities can also be detrimental to the steels ability to take a crisp, clean, burr free apex. That isn't so much determined by carbide volume, but hardness definitely plays a roll, as does how much austenite is retained during heat treat.

Based on composition, SPY27 should have a slightly lower carbide volume than s30v. Everything else will depend on how Spyderco heat treats the steel, and to what HRC. If they run it a little harder than s30v, it may give the steel similar grindability, but it should also allow it to take a finer edge, and deburr easier. On harder steels the burr tends to break off easier.

There are numerous other factors, and the factors I mentioned could be expanded upon a good deal, but the point is we won't really know until we get the steel in our hands. I'm hoping Spyderco will run it a point or two harder than their s30v, resulting in similar wear resistance, but making it a better sharpening steel with improved edge stability.

I preordered a Para 3 LW already, and am excited to get it in my hands.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Please not that there is an already opened thread for CPM SPY27 before opening another:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85769