Who's gonna get a Counter Puppy?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Who's gonna get a Counter Puppy?

Post by archangel »

I am! :) I think I'm gonna go for a blue serrated one.

And you?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wartstein

Re: Who's gonna get a Counter Puppy?

Post by Wartstein »

Sure! And also serrated here...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I want one! The Zcuts are cool too.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the idea but I also wish they were made in Golden. A pass from me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Still waiting for my z-cuts to come in, lol
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I saw gpk has these in stock but out of funds at the moment. Will probably get one next week
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Interesting design for sure, but the short blade for a kitchen knife and 7cr aren't doing it for me. Hope everyone enjoys theirs.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Not sure I have a need for something at that size. Seems a tad steep in price for a 7Cr knife made in China as well. Really enjoying my serrated z-cut.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Maybe, trying to decide on that or a Z-cut. I'll probably eventually get both.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm not sure. I might get one at some point in the future, but then again I might not because, quite frankly, they don't excite me. I already have the Z Cuts and their blade length, blade offset, blade thickness (or rather thinness), and steel, make me think they're more suitable for the type of cutting I do than the Counter Puppy. Also agree that the Counter Puppy's pricing seems odd, they cost 1.5 times as much as the Z-Cuts, are made in China while the Z-Cuts are made in Golden, and, unless I'm missing something, they use a lower grade of steel.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Waiting on a couple of Zcuts in SE and PE. I like to buy new steels and CTS BD1N interests me more than Chinese steels.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

As much as I wanted one, being made in China kills it for me. I'll get the Zcuts instead.

I really wish they would move away from using Chinese factories for Spydercos, it has eliminated several designs from my list.

China is for the Byrds... :cool:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Guy,

The market demands China product because of price, and their capacity seems unending. We are careful not to do too much there for reasons like you and others that have made similar comments. For us, it's a careful balancing act.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Country of origin is definitely a big factor for my purchases. I prefer US made.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:20 pm
Hi Guy,

The market demands China product because of price, and their capacity seems unending. We are careful not to do too much there for reasons like you and others that have made similar comments. For us, it's a careful balancing act.

sal
I understand completely. The market for a $40 Spyderco is 100x larger than it is for a $200+ Spyderco.

I'm just pouting, I'll get over it.

Such is life!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:20 pm
Hi Guy,

sal
You guys nailed it with the Zcut, wish the counter puppy was in BD1N too. Will be getting one as my wife stores the knives on the counter and this one will at least "stand" a chance.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
mayong

Post by mayong »

archangel wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:18 am
I am! :) I think I'm gonna go for a blue serrated one.

And you?

Just ordered a purple SE and blue PE!

My girlfriend doesn't share my passion for cutlery is a normal human being and so these will be perfect for the dishwasher and knife drawer. (We have two sets of knives at our place, one in a drawer used by people and guests, and one in a knife block for the criminally insane.)
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think I'll stick with the Z-cuts for the BD1n.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I really like my Z-cuts and 4.5" Utility Knife. They get used for the majority of our kitchen needs. I'm going to pass on the Counter Puppy. It is too small and I'm not digging the 7Cr steel.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

We shall see. I got my wife a Z-cut for a Christmas stocking stuffer (red plain edge), and she really likes it so far! :cool:

I'll have to run up to the factory store next week after I get home to pick up a repair, hopefully they'll have the puppies in stock at the store so I can at least check them out. Might just get another z-cut instead.
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!