Rusted liners after fresh water clean.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fright_Fox

Rusted liners after fresh water clean.

Post by Fright_Fox »

Hello my Endura 4 vg10 liners had a lot of red spots on them. I did clean it under a tap and didn’t dry the insides but I thought the 420 steel liners could take that fine. Is this normal? It’s also summer here in Singapore so very humid.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Rusted liners after fresh water clean.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve never had that problem. We’ll wait till others chime in.

I think a good test for knife corrosion should include the othe metal parts, not just the blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

The blade itself was fine. Though I did carry it in very humid weather the day after the wash.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I don't really think any metal but a salt knife should be "put away wet" but I agree I would think it would be more stainless. Never had an issue on any liners I know of.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just checked my VG10 Endura (and Endela, Stretches and Delica): No rust on the liners as far as I can see (didn´t disassemble the knives, just took a look inside the handle by using a flashlight).

And I have to say: I never dry out the liners / the inside of the handle when I wash the knives under fresh water.
Additionally I carry them often under wet conditions,and as said: No corrosion, neither on the liners, nor on the blades...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

Interesting, I have another new Endura I’ll put it to the same conditions and see what happens.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Fright_Fox wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:57 am
Interesting, I have another new Endura I’ll put it to the same conditions and see what happens.

Please report back!

For me it has been a bit mysterious for a long time now generally, why many people seem to rust their knives, but I just don´t! I live in a rather wet (but admittedly NOT salty (I am far from any ocean)) climate, and my Spydercos (mostly VG10) live in sweaty or soaken wet from rain/snow pockets (or packs) sometimes for days, I never dry them and still never had ANY corrosion issues whatsoever!

The only time I had tiny rust spots on a blade (but not the liners) was on my VG10 Delica, when I cut sheeps cheese once, that was kept in a very salty liquid- did not wipe the blade off, and put the knife away for one or two month.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

I will report back in a couple of weeks after carrying the new Endura in the same environment and just washing it with tap water.
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

For the sake of science I shall drink tonight and sleep in pants in this humidity after washing the new Endura in fresh water. Will report back in 24 hours.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I had it happen on a Chaparral (original S30V version), Cat (old 440C version), and Chicago (Old 440C version). Spyderco wasn't finishing the liners to a bright polish back then. Finishing metal to a bright polish evens the surface out and helps prevent corrosion. The Q Ball I bought on closeout a few months ago was the first Spydie with liners I've purchased in the over 5 years since I had those issues. The liners look to be finished to a grinder satin level, which doesn't inspire confidence. On the other hand, my slightly more recently acquired Sage 5 FRN / LW has brightly polished liners.
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

The Endura has polished liners that I can see. I’m on beer number 1 gents. I’m just confused why the blade was fine.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:23 am
I had it happen on a Chaparral (original S30V version), Cat (old 440C version), and Chicago (Old 440C version). Spyderco wasn't finishing the liners to a bright polish back then. Finishing metal to a bright polish evens the surface out and helps prevent corrosion. The Q Ball I bought on closeout a few months ago was the first Spydie with liners I've purchased in the over 5 years since I had those issues. The liners look to be finished to a grinder satin level, which doesn't inspire confidence. On the other hand, my slightly more recently acquired Sage 5 FRN / LW has brightly polished liners.
Very interesting and valid point I never thought ofmyself. Might be that all of my Seki VG 10 folders happen to have bright polished ilners (I´ll have to check) and that´s the main reason why my liners just never seem to rust on me, despite the less than ideal conditions my Spydies "live" in...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Fright_Fox wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:22 am
For the sake of science I shall drink tonight and sleep in pants in this humidity after washing the new Endura in fresh water. Will report back in 24 hours.

Looking forward to your report!

And I appreciate what you are willing to shoulder here in the name of science... ;)
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

Oh I really should have added this at the start! My brother and I argue a lot and he is a cold steel fanboy... he sawed through my handle with a giant serrated cold steel so the liners were exposed like in the pics the whole time. Luckily my new Endura is safe.

https://imgur.com/a/AUmvBFl
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Fright_Fox wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:54 am
Oh I really should have added this at the start! My brother and I argue a lot and he is a cold steel fanboy... he sawed through my handle with a giant serrated cold steel so the liners were exposed like in the pics the whole time. Luckily my new Endura is safe.

What a juvenile thing of him to do. Did he pay for the new Endura?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Fright_Fox wrote:

MAN!! Now I have to start my day (it´s morning where I live) with a picture in my head of my favorite folder being tortured... :eek: .... ;)
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have seen exactly what is described with an standard Endura4 purchased about 3 years ago I would guess, it was used to clean trout then rinsed in (fresh) lake water, then put in a boat glove box for I think 5 days, in the summer time in the Pacific Northwest (and no, this wasn't me) -- anyhow I saw the immediate aftermath, and the vg10 was OK, but the liners, oh not so much.... I may be able to get ahold of a picture, I know a couple exist, I will check...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Fright_Fox wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:26 am
I’m on beer number 1 gents.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:05 am
Fright_Fox wrote:

MAN!! Now I have to start my day (it´s morning where I live) with a picture in my head of my favorite folder being tortured... :eek: .... ;)
Ha it is now an extra light weight Endura.
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:17 am
Fright_Fox wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:26 am
I’m on beer number 1 gents.
This is very accurate yes.