Rusted liners after fresh water clean.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Rusted liners after fresh water clean.

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:10 am
I have seen exactly what is described with an standard Endura4 purchased about 3 years ago I would guess, it was used to clean trout then rinsed in (fresh) lake water, then put in a boat glove box for I think 5 days, in the summer time in the Pacific Northwest (and no, this wasn't me) -- anyhow I saw the immediate aftermath, and the vg10 was OK, but the liners, oh not so much.... I may be able to get ahold of a picture, I know a couple exist, I will check...

I start to think that there really must be variations concerning the degree Spyderco finishes its liners or (and) maybe even which particular steel is used... I checked once more (again, not disassembling, just looking using a flashlight):
NO rust WHATSOEVER on the liners even in my oldest VG10 Seki knives, though they get not "babied" at all and are wet pretty often over the course of a day or even more... :confused:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

JMM wrote:
I have seen exactly what is described with an standard Endura4 purchased about 3 years ago I would guess, it was used to clean trout then rinsed in (fresh) lake water, then put in a boat glove box for I think 5 days, in the summer time in the Pacific Northwest (and no, this wasn't me) -- anyhow I saw the immediate aftermath, and the vg10 was OK, but the liners, oh not so much.... I may be able to get ahold of a picture, I know a couple exist, I will check...
Thank you sir.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Fright_Fox wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:19 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:05 am
Fright_Fox wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:54 am
Oh I really should have added this at the start! My brother and I argue a lot and he is a cold steel fanboy... he sawed through my handle with a giant serrated cold steel so the liners were exposed like in the pics the whole time. Luckily my new Endura is safe.

https://imgur.com/a/AUmvBFl

MAN!! Now I have to start my day (it´s morning where I live) with a picture in my head of my favorite folder being tortured... :eek: .... ;)
Ha it is now an extra light weight Endura.

Oh, I see... your brother just optimized it for you... :p
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:17 am
Fright_Fox wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:26 am
I’m on beer number 1 gents.

Man! I told you already: You must not use the embarrasing parts of my biography for your jokes,neither in text nor in pics or GIFs! :p :p ;)
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:20 am
JMM wrote:

I start to think that there really must be variations concerning the degree Spyderco finishes its liners or (and) maybe even which particular steel is used... I checked once more (again, not disassembling, just looking using a flashlight):
NO rust WHATSOEVER on the liners even in my oldest VG10 Seki knives, though they get not "babied" at all and are wet pretty often over the course of a day or even more... :confused:
Interesting, I will see if the repeat conditions with my sweat and perhaps super alcohol sweat have the same result for me.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Liners are funny.
I have no rust on K390 blade on my Police but the liners were a bit rusty. Mind you, K390 has only like 5% Chromium.
I once polished the liners and now it is ok ...still a true mirror finish would be better, but I don't have time or sandpaper to do it.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

I also have the k390 police but it lives in a safe. Would the liners on that model be stainless though?
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have found that a good wipe-down with a silicon-gun-cloth on the liners of my k390 P4 is all they need to stay just perfect for me.....
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Fright_Fox wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:20 am
I also have the k390 police but it lives in a safe. Would the liners on that model be stainless though?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84857

But that´s Vivi who seems to rust knives very easily...
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

Oh wow this vivi seems to have some acid sweat!
James Y

Post by James Y »

The liners are not the same steel as the blade. I could be wrong, but IIRC, they are a 300 (?) series stainless. So a VG-10 bladed knife’s liners are not also VG-10. I would expect that the liners would be more vulnerable to corrosion than the blade is, especially where you can’t see it (the sides of the liners that attach to the scales), because air isn’t circulating as easily as on the blade itself. This would be particularly true if the entire knife becomes wet, such as dunking it into the water, or when rinsing it out. It’s much easier for moisture to become trapped in there.

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have found that a good wipe-down with a silicon-gun-cloth on the liners of my k390 P4 is all they need to stay just perfect for me.....
Those things are amazingly useful. I have used them for years on knives after starting out using them to clean and protect blued rifles . They are great for cleaning off salty sweaty fingerprints and handprints keeping them from ruining the bluing. I later got a bottle of clear liquid silicone from A.G. Russell co. and switched to that instead of oils for rust prevention on areas I don't want to wax. It works better than regular light oils for rust prevention.

Joe
40mm

Post by 40mm »

This is how I VERY quickly realized that choosing a ZDP Delica as my one and only knife was a bad decision. Especially for in waistband carry if you exercise etc. I was noticing corrosion really quick and realized I would be cleaning the knife a lot more than I had anticipated. Back to Salt knife for me.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:01 am
Liners are funny.
I have no rust on K390 blade on my Police but the liners were a bit rusty. Mind you, K390 has only like 5% Chromium.
I once polished the liners and now it is ok ...still a true mirror finish would be better, but I don't have time or sandpaper to do it.
Yeah I've also got some kinda corrosion on my P4 liners. It's a weird kind of dark gray/brown corrosion, and only a very thin layer, like what Vivi showed in his pics. Doesn't really bother me, just to say that yes, liners do indeed rust, stainless or no.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Corrosion on liners and pivot are the most important reason I carry Salt knives. It's easy to maintain a carbon steel fixes blade, even in humid conditions, but a folder is another story.
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

No liners have been rusted this morning in the same humidity and in my sweaty pants I will use it around my house for a week just giving it a wash under the tap and see if anything changes. There is some moisture in there though.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

It's possible there was something on the liners, from the factory. A sweaty hand could have left some corrosive material behind, that was exasperated by more moisture. Maybe something worked it's way onto the liners during use too.

I'll be interested to see what caused this and hope you don't have this issue again.
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

Albatross wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:16 pm
It's possible there was something on the liners, from the factory. A sweaty hand could have left some corrosive material behind, that was exasperated by more moisture. Maybe something worked it's way onto the liners during use too.

I'll be interested to see what caused this and hope you don't have this issue again.
I purchased it from a reputable dealer and it came in the box with no plastic sleeve. The new Endura I got from another seller had a plastic sleeve and also it was covered in a thin coat of oil on the blade. So the original rusted liner one did not come oiled but the new one did.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm just not sure why you'd expect steel to not rust when you left it wet. The inside of the handle won't dry off as easily as the blade. Too many nooks and crannies. Makes sense to me. I'd say there's nothing wrong with the knife.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:17 am
Fright_Fox wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:26 am
I’m on beer number 1 gents.
Reminds me of my Mormon uncle. They are only allowed one drink(alcohol) a day, but they don't specify the size!

Red wine in a big gulp, anyone?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson