I really hate wanting a discontinued knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Peter1960

Re: I really hate wanting a discontinued knife

Post by Peter1960 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:33 pm
Unfortunately this isn't really anything special, not a sprint or anything that most people really wanted when it was available so it's pretty obscure.
You make me curious ...
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

David turned this thread in guess the model contest :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Nah, not going down that road..
Actually my most disliked FB posts are mail calls showing only the box.. Show me what you got or don't bother! :P
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ok guys you win, I doubt anyone is going to guess this one anyway like I said it's nothing special. I'm looking for a full SE Endura with the Wave hook. I don't recall when they were discontinued but they were made about 2009ish. My end goal is to also buy a Lone Wolf Endura with the Glock tool on the handle and swap the SE wave blade into it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If you're frankenspydering it anyway, could you just buy the Lone Wolf and have Willey knives grind the serrations in?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:12 am
If you're frankenspydering it anyway, could you just buy the Lone Wolf and have Willey knives grind the serrations in?

That's not a bad idea I don't know why I didn't think of that, I'm planning on sending them a Sliverax too. Probably easier and cheaper.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

When I first got into this game things were not as crazy with the collecting. Discoed knives weren’t as hard to find. As recent as five years ago I could still find the Moki Micarta knives for reasonable prices. I regret not buying a Caly Jr and C54 Calypso back when I could get them for just over $100.

Ah, first world problems, lamenting not spending money I didn’t need on knives I don’t need. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jdw

Post by jdw »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:14 pm
JMM wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:01 pm
There are resources online like country knives (.com) that while they do charge full MSRP, they do have interesting & somewhat eclectic selection, and they are actually nice folks in my experience.... Arizona custom knives is another place to look that I've found a couple older spydies.....
It'll have to be something they're not listing, I've searched for the model name and SKU and only find old outdated listings or sold eBay listings, old Blade Forum posts and such.
You may try giving CK a call. They are super nice and they helped me replace a Red Persian a few years ago that wasn't listed on their site.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:15 am
Ok guys you win, I doubt anyone is going to guess this one anyway like I said it's nothing special. I'm looking for a full SE Endura with the Wave hook. I don't recall when they were discontinued but they were made about 2009ish. My end goal is to also buy a Lone Wolf Endura with the Glock tool on the handle and swap the SE wave blade into it.
I have a LW Emerson Endura that I did nearly the same thing with. I swapped in a partial serrated blade. Unfortunately the kick geometry was slightly different between the blade and so the tip contacted the FRN when closed. Otherwise the blade action was perfect.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Cycletroll wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:06 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:15 am
I have a LW Emerson Endura that I did nearly the same thing with. I swapped in a partial serrated blade. Unfortunately the kick geometry was slightly different between the blade and so the tip contacted the FRN when closed. Otherwise the blade action was perfect.

Did you swap lockbars too? if not, doing that might fix it...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
sal

Post by sal »

Spyderco has been quite prolific for many years with many models and variations. It's just one of the things that we do. We try to make sprints now and then to assist in getting some of the older knives, but there are many that are quite difficult to find. In a way, you have my apologies, but it's also a way of retaining value of older models. Finding an original "PIG" model is challenging, and it's 30+ years old.

If you can think of a viable way to make it better, I'm all ears, but we generally do the best we can.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:01 pm
Spyderco has been quite prolific for many years with many models and variations. It's just one of the things that we do. We try to make sprints now and then to assist in getting some of the older knives, but there are many that are quite difficult to find. In a way, you have my apologies, but it's also a way of retaining value of older models. Finding an original "PIG" model is challenging, and it's 30+ years old.

If you can think of a viable way to make it better, I'm all ears, but we generally do the best we can.

sal

That´s why I am glad that I have four Stretch 1 already at home... :D
Will last me for life. :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:01 pm

sal

I don't think it's anything Spyderco is doing wrong, it's more about my evolving tastes. Back when this knife was available I wasn't interested in SE, and it seems like maybe not many were made and/or they weren't very popular so finding one has been tough.
~David
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

TomAiello wrote:
Another option(and maybe easier?) is to just have them cut the wave opener into an existing serrated edge model.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a thread I can fully identify with. Because when I had my medical/financial trainwreck back in 2009-10 period I had to sell a bunch of really valued and much loved old school Spyders just to stay alive and keep the wolves away from the door. I've gotten back a few of the Spyders I lost/sold over the years but it's still like climbing Mt. Everest with crutches trying to restore my original collection to where it was.

We did have one Sprint Run of my all time favorite model i.e. The C-60 Massad Ayoob model. That helped to rekindle my spirits and give me hope. At one time I had a huge "user arsenal" of folders and fixed blades ( about 70 at one time) that I actually rotated and used periodically. Now I think I'm down to about 3 dozen. But I'll continue to climb a virtual Mt. Everest With a pair of crutches if that's what it takes.

But it's important that we never lose sight of the Spyderco models that got us to where we are.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I enjoy the rise of blade swapping and moving things around to get your 'perfect' knife to use. In many cases, models may move fast as collectors snap them up, but at least those in pursuit of creating the knife of their dreams do generally plan to use it and feel the design sing in hand.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Haunted House wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:13 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Another option(and maybe easier?) is to just have them cut the wave opener into an existing serrated edge model.

Eh, not so much a fan. I actually really like the blade shape on this knife, it reminds me of a bayonet. I carry a Glock a lot so the tool makes sense.
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Haunted House wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:13 pm
TomAiello wrote:
I think he wants the Glock tool though.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

I try very hard to stay forward facing on my purchases since I know there will always be something new that will capture my interest.

The one exception was I bought a second Gayle Bradley Air because it has been spot on as an office-friendly EDC.
cwoods

Post by cwoods »

I feel ya man. I'm jonesing for a GB2 and was literally a week too late. To my knowledge no official release that it's been discoed but it's been ghost everywhere.
PM2 52100; PM2 K390; Para 3 Rex 45; Stretch 2 V-Toku2