Paramilitary XL (Para 4) vs Military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which would you rather see Spyderco produce?

Paramilitary XL (compression lock, 4 way clip, basically a Military sized Para 2)
64%
Military 2 (Power Lock?, Stop Lock?, 4 way clip?)
36%

Total votes: 81

Mushroom

Re: Paramilitary XL (Para 4) vs Military 2

Post by Mushroom »

Personally, I'd rather see a Military 2. Especially if it can exist along side the current Military. We still don't actually know if the Compression Lock Military 2 will outright replace the Liner Lock Military. It seems like it will, I would hope it doesn't, but we just don't know yet.

To me, the Military already represents a larger PM2 like the Manix 2 XL does for the Manix 2. So for me, a Paramilitary XL or Para 4 sounds kind of redundant with the existence of the Military.

-
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote: Anyway just my view of things but as I recall Sal has said the Military 2 will have the Stop Lock.
This past November, Sal stated that he has a prototype compression lock Military 2.

:spyder:
- Nick :bug-red
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Unpopular idea:
How about calling the new one "Military 4" and rename the Para2/3 as "Military 3.5" and "Military 3"
That way the numbers actually mean something to people who weren't around 15 years ago.

[Flame suit on]
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

You’re a wise man D, and I think your proposal is sound. :cool:

I personally have no interest in the PM models. I have as near a perfect example as you’d get in S110V that I just can’t warm too. Lucky if I carried it half a dozen time in near four years. I’ll gift it sooner or later.

Anyhow, as long as the Mighty Military doesn’t change I’ll keep buying them. It’s about the only Spyder I know of that isn’t peppered with redundant holes like a stray shotgun blast and how anyone reckons it could be better leaves me miffed. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:16 pm
Unpopular idea:
How about calling the new one "Military 4" and rename the Para2/3 as "Military 3.5" and "Military 3"
That way the numbers actually mean something to people who weren't around 15 years ago.

[Flame suit on]
Hey Knives, I reckon knifes are like cats, mate. Don’t matter too much what you call them. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:30 pm
Personally, I'd rather see a Military 2. Especially if it can exist along side the current Military. We still don't actually know if the Compression Lock Military 2 will outright replace the Liner Lock Military. It seems like it will, I would hope it doesn't, but we just don't know yet.

To me, the Military already represents a larger PM2 like the Manix 2 XL does for the Manix 2. So for me, a Paramilitary XL or Para 4 sounds kind of redundant with the existence of the Military.
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote: Anyway just my view of things but as I recall Sal has said the Military 2 will have the Stop Lock.
This past November, Sal stated that he has a prototype compression lock Military 2.

:spyder:
Ah must have remembered differently, oh well no surprise do not like the idea of a compression lock when we are talking about a large folder it really deserves the Power Lock.

Why sit on a patent and only ever use it in one knife?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:29 pm
Why sit on a patent and only ever use it in one knife?
With the patent for the compression lock potentially expiring in early 2021, I wouldn't be surprised if Spyderco starts to offer more locks. Not saying they will abandon the compression lock, but mixing other proprietary locks will help to differentiate the brand.
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Any option is OK so long as the original Military remains as it is.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would much rather have an exact copy of the current Military, but with a Compression lock. I like the ergonomics of the Military more, just not the lock.

Also, can we have the dino jimping back?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I’ve used my Military that I got a couple weeks back, and it’s great. But I sure do find myself reaching for a compression lock that isn’t there pretty frequently.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dj moonbat wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:47 am
I’ve used my Military that I got a couple weeks back, and it’s great. But I sure do find myself reaching for a compression lock that isn’t there pretty frequently.

That's actually a very good point.
It MIGHT be (just a theory though), that one of the aspects that make people like the comp. lock over the linerlock just lies in the fact, that in the "mid and upper range" Spyderco offers vastly more comp.lock than linerlock knives, and so people are just more used to the former? And thus feel unfamiliar with using a linerlock knife when they finally get one?
Again, maybe nonsense, just a thought.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

My 0.02 € on pocket clip:
Clip on today's Millie is like Ford model T colour, you can have any colour you want, but it is going to be black.
So you can have any clip placement you want, but it is going to be tip down right hand.

I don't mind another set of holes drilled in handle, so 4 way clip on Military 2 is ok for me.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

dj moonbat wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:47 am
Hey Bat, I had a little chuckle reading your post. I’d been carrying my Advocate for a few days. I was at home and reached for my trusty Military and tried to flip it twice before I even realised what I was holding and what I was trying to do. :) :rolleyes:
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I have some hopes that Amsterdam meeting could bring some more info about comp lock Military.
Sal mentioned it first time in November 2019..... So maybe we could get it in like end of summer, who knows.

Right now I am in situation that I want to want a Military, but not S30V or S110V....which is a problem in Europe..... new sprint run is in my opinion not very realistic, so I guess I just wait.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Military 2. Compression Lock. 4-way clip. Ranger Green G-10, K390 blade (or green canvas micarta, with any of the tougher American super steels).

The Military has an elegance the Para family doesn't. I'd love to see it modernized respectfully, as I'm sure Sal & Eric can.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Both. A bigger pm2 would be cool. But I would also love a military with a back lock or power lock.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:54 pm

I personally have no interest in the PM models. I have as near a perfect example as you’d get in S110V that I just can’t warm too. Lucky if I carried it half a dozen time in near four years. I’ll gift it sooner or later.
I like gifts ;)

PM me we can work out a trade.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:29 am
Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:54 pm

I like gifts ;)

PM me we can work out a trade.
Give ya buzz in the morrie. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:46 pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Military 2. Compression Lock. 4-way clip. Ranger Green G-10, K390 blade (or green canvas micarta, with any of the tougher American super steels).

The Military has an elegance the Para family doesn't. I'd love to see it modernized respectfully, as I'm sure Sal & Eric can.
VooDooChild wrote: Both. A bigger pm2 would be cool. But I would also love a military with a back lock or power lock.
For me it would not be a Military anymore if it lost its great linerlock. For me this really is a defining, and for an outdoor folder great feature, concerning usability and even feel in hand. Yet another comp.lock knife actually replacing the current Millie would be sad.

Now for the backlock:
I am a HUGE backlock fan, and sure a backlock-Millie in many ways would combine the specific pros of linerlock and comp.lock, but avoid their downsides, and so be "better" in my personal opinion.
Some examples: With a backlock one can do the same "fingers never in the blade path" closing as with a comp.lock, plus would still have to some extent the better accessability and easier operation of the linerlock with heavy gloves or numb, cold, wet fingers.
Additionally there would be the plus of somewhat safer operation in all the other one handed closing methods (at least after a little practice) and added safety concerning opening in the pocket.

Still: Imho even a backlock Millie should NOT replace the current linerlock version!

Both for comp.lock and backlock (concerning large folders even MORE for backlock (Chief, Police...) there are enough choices out there already.
Lets´s keep ONE great, iconic, perfectly working linerlock choice, and maybe add other locktype Millies just as alternatives...
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:01 am
For me it would not be a Military anymore if it lost its great linerlock. For me this really is a defining, and for an outdoor folder great feature, concerning usability and even feel in hand. Yet another comp.lock knife actually replacing the current Millie would be sad.
I feel like if the Manix can transition well from the backlock to the CBBL, and if the Sage can transition through 5 or more different locks, Sal & Eric can definitely come up with a comp lock Military that maintains everything else we love about the original Military. I don't think it has to replace the liner lock, but if it did I wouldn't mind.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would rather it be a Paramilitary 4 than a Military 2. Because if it’s a Military 2, I don’t really see Spyderco keeping the current liner lock Military. I’m fairly sure that the PM2 and PM3 outsell the Military due to size. Every single Spyderco does not necessarily need to have the same lock. With a PM4 AND the liner lock Military, at least there is a choice between the two. Those who don’t like the Military’s liner lock can simply buy the PM4 and not buy the Military. Problem solved.

Jim