Paramilitary XL (Para 4) vs Military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which would you rather see Spyderco produce?

Paramilitary XL (compression lock, 4 way clip, basically a Military sized Para 2)
64%
Military 2 (Power Lock?, Stop Lock?, 4 way clip?)
36%

Total votes: 81

Pancake

Re: Paramilitary XL (Para 4) vs Military 2

Post by Pancake »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:26 am
So if I'm understanding this correctly, after more than a decade of waiting for a Military 2 people are now saying forget about that, we want a Paramilitary 4 instead?

:rolleyes: <-- If that face could talk, it would be screaming right now.
Hey Mushroom, I know what are you saying, but the thruth is, there was talk about Stop lock Military for like a decade and nothing happened, so my thinking is comp lock Millie is better then nothing.
I would take Stop lock over comp lock all day.....but I have a feeling that Stop lock Military is going to be best Military that never was.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:20 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:26 am
So if I'm understanding this correctly, after more than a decade of waiting for a Military 2 people are now saying forget about that, we want a Paramilitary 4 instead?

:rolleyes: <-- If that face could talk, it would be screaming right now.
Hey Mushroom, I know what are you saying, but the thruth is, there was talk about Stop lock Military for like a decade and nothing happened, so my thinking is comp lock Millie is better then nothing.
I would take Stop lock over comp lock all day.....but I have a feeling that Stop lock Military is going to be best Military that never was.
I think perhaps there is a "unintentional point" ;) in what you and Mushroom are are saying:

Maybe some or even a lot of people were waiting on a Millie 2, but it could be that mostly just for slight cqi changes (like a four way clip) and not yet another comp. lock knife, OR they were waiting something totally new, like the stop lock.

To argue, well, stop lock ain´t gonna happen, but let´s change the lock anyway, so that at least some change is done, even if it´s to the cool, but compared to a linerlock imho less "outdoor suited" comp.lock, is maybe NOT what those who waited for a Millie 2 had in mind... (and in the course of that Decade there came a lot of other comp. lock knives to choose from to the market anyway!)

Pancake, I´d really wish you actually HAD a Millie (already), would be very interested in your opinion on its (for me) great liner lock, regardless if you´d like the lock or not!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 am

To argue, well, stop lock ain´t gonna happen, but let´s change the lock anyway, so that at least some change is done, even if it´s to the cool, but compared to a linerlock imho less "outdoor suited" comp.lock, is maybe NOT what those who waited for a Millie 2 had in mind... (and in the course of that Decade there came a lot of other comp. lock knives to choose from to the market anyway!)

Pancake, I´d really wish you actually HAD a Millie (already), would be very interested in your opinion on its (for me) great liner lock, regardless if you´d like the lock or not!
Yeah, I was not so pleasantly surprised when sal said that he had comp lock Military prototype....I was really waiting for stop lock ( as it was rumoured) .....but now I am like it's better then nothing.
Still, can't tell for sure that I am never going to get a liner lock Military....maybe.....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I'm also going to abstain from voting.
Other companies have already fulfilled this design premise better than Spyderco could and there is no need for a Military 2.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshua J. wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:35 am
Other companies have already fulfilled this design premise better than Spyderco could and there is no need for a Military 2.

Not entirely sure that I understand what you mean: Literally that other companies already have made a "Para 4" / Millie 2"-like model and better than Spyderco could ever make it if they choose to do so?! :confused:
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:54 am
Joshua J. wrote:

Not entirely sure that I understand what you mean: Literally that other companies already have made a "Para 4" / Millie 2"-like model and better than Spyderco could ever make it if they choose to do so?! :confused:
I am not sure either, I am not saying that other companies don't make good big folders, but most of the time they are heavy and thick bladed....who really needs a folding prybar?
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

As it stands the military is perfect for my uses.
Yes I'd go for compression lock version ONLY if could it be easily used with rigging gloves on. At the moment I only use my para's when I'm not wearing gloves.

J

P.s When the heck are we going to see an SE millie again !?!?
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Joshua J. wrote:

I am not sure either, I am not saying that other companies don't make good big folders, but most of the time they are heavy and thick bladed....who really needs a folding prybar?
Comfy G10 Handle, Distal Taper Flat Grind, with anything better than a Liner Lock. Maybe the formula is a bit specific but it's certainly not impossible to find.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshua J. wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:39 am
Pancake wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Joshua J. wrote:

Comfy G10 Handle, Distal Taper Flat Grind, with anything better than a Liner Lock. Maybe the formula is a bit specific but it's certainly not impossible to find.

Thanks for the reply!
For me the Millie could almost not be better and is close to perfection! Perhaps 3mm bladestock (instead of 3.6), perhaps a bit reinforced tip, but that's about it.

And "anything better than a (Millie!) linerlock?! As said, the current lock is great for what the Millie was designed for, for me personally only a well made mid backlock could be even better (still, I would NOT want the current Military to be replaced with a backlock Millie!)
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:48 am
Joshua J. wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:39 am
Pancake wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Thanks for the reply!
For me the Millie could almost not be better and is close to perfection! Perhaps 3mm bladestock (instead of 3.6), perhaps a bit reinforced tip, but that's about it.

And "anything better than a (Millie!) linerlock?! As said, the current lock is great for what the Millie was designed for, for me personally only a well made mid backlock could be even better (still, I would NOT want the current Military to be replaced with a backlock Millie!)

The subject in general makes it feel like Spyderco has suffered from extreme expectation paralysis.
Just about all of their other popular knives have been modernized (4-way clip, new ergonomics, and usually an updated/ambidextrous lock). Why is this one so different?
Not that the nested liners or Ti Military should be entirely ignored but we have 2-4 iterations of just about every other classic knife working to improve the overall concept. Is the Military perfect or is it actually just a one trick pony and we can't figure out how to teach it anything new?

After so much time and such consistent trepidation I feel like an evolutionary upgrade would be kind of pointless, just adding a new clip and lock would be underselling the premise, a lot has changed in the last decade and I feel like Spyderco still has more to prove than just refining the classic Military design. Spyderco may as well go for broke and make something dramatically different within the premise of a no holds barred lightweight ergonomic handle and large pointy flat blade.
Looking through the 2020 catalog the design that screams at me the most for succession of the Military is the Mantra 3.
I say if there ever is a Military 2 it should have a flipper.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Joshua J. wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:51 pm

The subject in general makes it feel like Spyderco has suffered from extreme expectation paralysis.
Just about all of their other popular knives have been modernized (4-way clip, new ergonomics, and usually an updated/ambidextrous lock). Why is this one so different?
There are people that says that Police line ended with Police 2......P3 and P4 are nothing like the original and they should not be named Police.
I am for small little improvements over the years. Military with 4 way clip and new lock (stop lock) is really all it needs IMO. Blade is good, handle is good.
. Spyderco may as well go for broke and make something dramatically different within the premise of a no holds barred lightweight ergonomic handle and large pointy flat blade.
Looking through the 2020 catalog the design that screams at me the most for succession of the Military is the Mantra 3.
I say if there ever is a Military 2 it should have a flipper.
:Gasp: :eek: :eek:
James Y

Post by James Y »

Even if a Military came with a 4-way clip, I would still carry it tip-down. It’s a liner lock AND it has a big, thick blade. The only thing that keeps it closed is a small ball detent. If carried tip-up, it would be more likely to come open in the pocket accidentally. I’m pretty sure there’s a good reason why Sal/Spyderco have kept the Military tip-down all these years.

IMO, it wouldn’t really be a Military with a different lock.

Jim
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I'm fighting the Military 2out of principal. I have my perfect Militaries already. Fluted Ti S90V, and fluted Ti crueware

The Mili is "the last ship" the Alamo the last stronghold of sissified knives.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

5-by-5 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:50 am
I'm fighting the Military 2out of principal. I have my perfect Militaries already. Fluted Ti S90V, and fluted Ti crueware

:sarcasm:
It's very nice and kind of you that you are not letting other people have their own perfect Military when you already have two.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:40 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:50 am

It's very nice and kind of you that you are not letting other people have their own perfect Military when you already have two.

Well on one hand I have I think 5 Militaries so you guys can bastardize the new one all you want. On the other hand if it becomes something I don't like I'm not forced to buy one either.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Remember the Alamo!
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I know Sal is with us! He is the real reason the Militarily has survived the millenial onslaught