Paramilitary XL (Para 4) vs Military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which would you rather see Spyderco produce?

Paramilitary XL (compression lock, 4 way clip, basically a Military sized Para 2)
64%
Military 2 (Power Lock?, Stop Lock?, 4 way clip?)
36%

Total votes: 81

KingRat

Re: Paramilitary XL (Para 4) vs Military 2

Post by KingRat »

Military 2. Stop Lock. Just like drawing in the Stop Lock patent of yesteryear.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

KingRat wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:20 am
Military 2. Stop Lock. Just like drawing in the Stop Lock patent of yesteryear.
Please do not change the clip. Military clip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All other clips.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm
I’d like to see a stop-lock or power-lock Millie. I’d prefer the latter but there’s never been talk of it, like the stop-lock.

Call it a 2 ‘cause the original is fine the way it is, as is the PM2.

My curiosity about other locks in the Millie does not extend to the compression-lock.
LOL agreed no comp lock
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:16 am
dj moonbat wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:47 am
I’ve used my Military that I got a couple weeks back, and it’s great. But I sure do find myself reaching for a compression lock that isn’t there pretty frequently.

That's actually a very good point.
It MIGHT be (just a theory though), that one of the aspects that make people like the comp. lock over the linerlock just lies in the fact, that in the "mid and upper range" Spyderco offers vastly more comp.lock than linerlock knives, and so people are just more used to the former? And thus feel unfamiliar with using a linerlock knife when they finally get one?
Again, maybe nonsense, just a thought.
I think this only applies to Para2 fanboys. There are and have beenmore liner locks and frame locks for over 25 years than complocks
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:04 pm
My 0.02 € on pocket clip:
Clip on today's Millie is like Ford model T colour, you can have any colour you want, but it is going to be black.
So you can have any clip placement you want, but it is going to be tip down right hand.

I don't mind another set of holes drilled in handle, so 4 way clip on Military 2 is ok for me.
Disagree. The Mili is a half frame liner design with a specialty curved clip. This is not a conspiracy
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

James Y wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:00 am
I would rather it be a Paramilitary 4 than a Military 2. Because if it’s a Military 2, I don’t really see Spyderco keeping the current liner lock Military. I’m fairly sure that the PM2 and PM3 outsell the Military due to size. Every single Spyderco does not necessarily need to have the same lock. With a PM4 AND the liner lock Military, at least there is a choice between the two. Those who don’t like the Military’s liner lock can simply buy the PM4 and not buy the Military. Problem solved.

Jim
Agreed 100%
James Y

Post by James Y »

My very first locking folder, which I got way back in the late 1970s, was a Schrade Old Timer folding hunter with a brass liner lock. The liner lock was really there as a backup safety feature to the strong back spring. Then I got a Craftsman single-bladed trapper with the same type of lock. So when the Walker liner lock came out, though the design was different from the old-style liner locks (only the liner was holding the blade open, with no back spring and was one-handed operation), it wasn’t anything particularly new or mind-blowing to me.

As I’ve said before, I vote to keep the Military a liner lock and have a PM4 for those who must have a compression lock at all costs. I like the compression lock, but I neither want nor need to have it on every single folder I own.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I really hope the Military 2 is not used. Like how the Lil chokwe was renamed.

The Police 4 is so different it should have been named the Military Police
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

5-by-5 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:07 pm

Disagree. The Mili is a half frame liner design with a specialty curved clip. This is not a conspiracy
I was talking about clip placement, not clip itself. Curved or not, you better like tip up right hand carry, or you can get out.

And that explanation that it don't have liner on the back so it can't have 4 way clip is getting old, my Native Chief has no liners and has 4 way clip....

5-by-5, why do you don't like compression lock?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
I would rather it be a Paramilitary 4 than a Military 2. Because if it’s a Military 2, I don’t really see Spyderco keeping the current liner lock Military. I’m fairly sure that the PM2 and PM3 outsell the Military due to size. Every single Spyderco does not necessarily need to have the same lock. With a PM4 AND the liner lock Military, at least there is a choice between the two. Those who don’t like the Military’s liner lock can simply buy the PM4 and not buy the Military. Problem solved.

Jim
Perfectly said.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Pm4, Military 2, call it what you want, I am looking forward for this one.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:36 am
So you're thinking about actually skipping the "real", "battle prooven", linerlock Millie?! :eek: ... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:03 am
Pancake wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:36 am
So you're thinking about actually skipping the "real", "battle prooven", linerlock Millie?! :eek: ... ;)
If I could buy a sprint run of the original version then yes, but I have my doubts if there will be a sprint run in the future. :( ....might as well wait for the ,,2,, .
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:22 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
Perfectly said.
Aye, and the solution i dearly hope they will go for!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:31 am
Yes, at least for some time this is a good idea.
IIRC , original Para-Military and PM2 coexist for some time....and then market decided that PM2 is better.....so let people (and thier wallets) decide.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hard for me to see a line up with 1) standard Military 2) Military with CL 3) Military with X lock 4) Para 4 in Military size and then 5) Police 4 which is already close to being a back lock Military.

Hello this is the Department of Redundancy, Redundancy Department.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:15 am
Hard for me to see a line up with 1) standard Military 2) Military with CL 3) Military with X lock 4) Para 4 in Military size and then 5) Police 4 which is already close to being a back lock Military.

Right... that's why I think your original proposal of (just) TWO options is perfect!
Keep the Millie as it is and as a rare hig end big folder linerlock (lightweight) Spydie.

Make the PM 4, though roughly Millie sized, different in MORE aspects than just the lock (maybe full liners, heftier feel; maybe a bit taller blade and by that geometry a bit sturdier tip. 4 way clip anyway, and so on...)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

So if I'm understanding this correctly, after more than a decade of waiting for a Military 2 people are now saying forget about that, we want a Paramilitary 4 instead?

:rolleyes: <-- If that face could talk, it would be screaming right now.
Evil D wrote: Hard for me to see a line up with 1) standard Military 2) Military with CL 3) Military with X lock 4) Para 4 in Military size and then 5) Police 4 which is already close to being a back lock Military.

QFT! 200% true!
-Nick :bug-red
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:22 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
Perfectly said.
Agreed