Military with Compression Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Military with Compression Lock?

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:29 pm
Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:00 pm
The Military is my favourite large folder by a country mile and by default the large handle is “ergonomic” to some extent but it never fails to amuse me when ergonomic is used to describe any slab sided folder with a pocket clip. :rolleyes:

This is an open challenge, not directed at any particular member here and without intent of being antagonistic. Try using a Military (or any other slab sided folder) to cut something that doesn’t want to be cut for five minutes and please report back on how beautifully ergonomic you found it to be. :)
If it doesn't want to be cut for 5 minutes you're most likely using the wrong tool. ;) :D
Hey Connor, cheeky bugger! :)

You know exactly what I mean. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
PStone

Post by PStone »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:31 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:08 pm
Why can't people ask for a Paramilitary XL rather than screwing up a veteran design?!
The Military 2 has been rumored for about a decade, maybe longer. The rumor was originally about a Stop Lock Military 2 but only recently were we told the prototype was for a compression lock Military 2.

:spyder:
I was thinking, perhaps Sal refers to these prototypes as Military2s, so we can easier visualize what he is talking about without having to post pics or go into much detail. The Watu was called the lil chokwe in the rumor stage, and we could easily picture what it was going to look like. Even though it’s probably a whole different knife compared to the original. But when released, it’s officially named the Watu. So maybe the two protos will be two completely different knifes with different names. Para4(comp lock)and millie2(stop lock)? Pure speculation. But it is fun to imagine different possibilities of new and exciting models that may or may never happen. :spyder:
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I dont really care about putting a compression lock on one. I just want to say.
I want to get a military but Im waiting on one in an interesting steel and handle color combo. Seems like it hasnt got a sprint or exclusive in a while.
I wonder if the same question that spawned the military all those years ago, was asked to sal now, then if the answer would still be the military, or if we would get a very different design. Maybe different lock, maybe stronger tip, maybe a self close feature, etc.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:32 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Bloke wrote:
The Military is my favourite large folder by a country mile and by default the large handle is “ergonomic” to some extent but it never fails to amuse me when ergonomic is used to describe any slab sided folder with a pocket clip. :rolleyes:

This is an open challenge, not directed at any particular member here and without intent of being antagonistic. Try using a Military (or any other slab sided folder) to cut something that doesn’t want to be cut for five minutes and please report back on how beautifully ergonomic you found it to be. :)
If it doesn't want to be cut for 5 minutes you're most likely using the wrong tool. ;) :D

I know what you mean but they're just about all flat slabs and within that world of flat not so ergonomic slabs some models still feel better than others.

I have begged for rounder handles for years. Maybe the popularity of the Shaman will slowly bring better rounder ergos into popularity.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:32 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Bloke wrote:

:D
Well, no slab sided folder will feel as nice as a more rounded contoured grip; I agree there. But, the Military is better than a lot of slab sided folders. And then again, it's all a compromise: thicker, more comfortable handles usually means bulkier and less comfortable in the pocket.

I never handled one myself, but something like the Shaman probably comes as close as any Spyderco to a comfortable, fixed-blade-feel ergonomic experience while still being, by all accounts, fairly pocketable.

Edit to add: Evil D beat me to it. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:45 pm
Connor and D, agree 100%

I’ve not handled a Shaman either but at a glance blind Freddie can see that the knife would certainly have to be somewhat ergonomic, for a folder.

I simply find it amusing that folding knives are often described as ergonomic simply because we can get a comfortable grid on them. I don’t think I’ve handled too many folders that felt uncomfortable while I was waving them around while sitting on the couch or opening mail but, use the same knife to say put a point on a broomstick and that “ergonomic” folder in the lounge room is a pig in true world prolonged use. :)

At the end of the day, you canny defy the laws of physics, ay?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:13 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:45 pm
Connor and D, agree 100%

I’ve not handled a Shaman either but at a glance blind Freddie can see that the knife would certainly have to be somewhat ergonomic, for a folder.

I simply find it amusing that folding knives are often described as ergonomic simply because we can get a comfortable grid on them. I don’t think I’ve handled too many folders that felt uncomfortable while I was waving them around while sitting on the couch or opening mail but, use the same knife to say put a point on a broomstick and that “ergonomic” folder in the lounge room is a pig in true world prolonged use. :)

Alex, my friend, two points on that:

1.) What you said (highlighted text) generally touches something I do often wonder about: Sometimes (!! not always at all!) people judge / describe features/functions on a folder as comfortable or not / possible or not / "better" or "worse" and I have a strong feeling that this is not based on their real, own, "earned", long time and prooven experience in various conditions, but in the worst case just a repetition what most others say or just based on holding the knife in the warm living room and cutting a sheet of paper... :rolleyes:

I won´t go into details, but of course for me things like "backlocks generally are slow and akward to operate", "comp.locks generally are always better than linerlocks", "one generally can´t choke up on Ricasso or eve edge of a knife" could be listed here...

2.) On the Millie ergos: You´re right, a fixed blade with a thick, contoured handle will almost always be more comfortable than a flat handled folder, but the Millie (for a folder) is REALLY very nice in hand (and I say this from my experience using it outdoors, in "harder" tasks and over longer periods of time...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:13 pm

You really have to try a Millie!
I can't find the right words in English, but it has something "majestic" about it. :)
I would love to buy one, but the S30V or S110V is just not doing it for me...... I would kill for some tool steel variant.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:13 pm

You really have to try a Millie!
I can't find the right words in English, but it has something "majestic" about it. :)
I would love to buy one, but the S30V or S110V is just not doing it for me...... I would kill for some tool steel variant.

For me S30V is perfectly fine, so I never looked into tool steels variants of the Millie... but certainly they do exist, not sure though how expensive and how hard (or not) to obtain...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 am
On the Millie ergos: You´re right, a fixed blade with a thick, contoured handle will almost always be more comfortable than a flat handled folder, but the Millie (for a folder) is REALLY very nice in hand (and I say this from my experience using it outdoors, in "harder" tasks and over longer periods of time...)
Hey Gernot, we’re off topic brother, and have been for a while now so I’ll post this and not post further on this thread.

I certainly agree! The Military is REALLY nice in hand. It’s a Masterpiece and a credit to the man who designed and built it.

I’ve stated categorically here and on many other threads; it’s my favourite large folder on Earth, The Universe and possibly the Cosmos. I can’t fault the knife. There is nothing I would change, but at the end of the day it’s still a slab sided folder.

In conclusion, when I think slab sided folders I don’t think ergonomics. :) ;)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:01 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:56 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:38 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
Why can't people ask for a Paramilitary XL rather than screwing up a veteran design?!
Agreed. Though I fear people won't stop until they have turned Spyderco into yet another 99% same lock everything company :-/
LOL yeah. Benchmade wanted to be Spyderco. Now Spyderco is turning into Benchmade. :mad:

It's funny nobody was saying this when the catalog was predominately back locks back when the CL was only on a few knives.
Point taken. However "back in the day" there was basically back lock or slip joint knives available. So no big surprise there.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:01 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:56 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:38 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
Agreed. Though I fear people won't stop until they have turned Spyderco into yet another 99% same lock everything company :-/
LOL yeah. Benchmade wanted to be Spyderco. Now Spyderco is turning into Benchmade. :mad:

It's funny nobody was saying this when the catalog was predominately back locks back when the CL was only on a few knives.

Must have been glory days back then... :D

(Just kidding of course: Though for me personally Spydercos mid backlock is clearly the best and most versatile lock ever made, I am glad that they offer such a variety of locks so everbody can find a knife with the locks he or she prefers - but that´s exactly one of the reasons why I´d hope the Millie could keep its perfect linerlock: Above the "budget line" there are a lot of comp.lock (and, yes, also backlock-) knives to choose from, it does not need one more if the price is to sacrifice one of the few great NON comp.- (or back-) lock folders left...)
anycal

Post by anycal »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:13 pm

Connor and D, agree 100%

Pfff... broomstick. Try old redwood 2x4 ;) Found this pic from way back.

Anyways, when discussing ergonomics, it has to be looked at in a context. Most of the time, folks do comparisons. Like, great ergonomics for a folder, or, one knife is more ergonomic than another.

Peter
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Second best Mili configuration. The best Mili is Fluted Ti
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:28 am

Very nice Millie, but the (your?) dog is even nicer! :)
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:51 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:28 am

Very nice Millie, but the (your?) dog is even nicer! :)
He was confused by me standing there holding my hand out.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

anycal wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:59 am
Pfff... broomstick. Try old redwood 2x4 ;)
OK, definitely last post here and apologise Doc, my dear friend. I don’t know why so many Millie threads go wonky. :o

Hey any, I s’pose maybe not all broom sticks are created equal,

Our broomstick are made from local hardwood. We don’t have any softwood.

With regard to dry seasoned Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) - Janka Hardness: 450lb.

Below is a bit of Ghost Gum dead fall, dry and brittle.

I couldn’t source a specific hardness for it but I know our Ghost, Grey and Blue Gums are all pretty much a muchness hardness wise. The Ghost may be a little harder or a little softer than Blue Gum but there wouldn’t be much in it.

Blue Gum (Eucalyptus Globulus) - Janka Hardness: 2,370lb. :)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Redwood is one of the softest commercially important woods used in construction here in the USA. Cedar is similar. Most other softwoods (needles for leaves) are harder/more dense when dry. So are most hardwood species. Gum (eucalyptus) is really hard. I pity the carpenter in Oz who has to carry or hand-nail the stuff.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

How did we get from compression lock to wood hardness ratings?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:19 pm
How did we get from compression lock to wood hardness ratings?
Use this one simple trick: read the entire thread to find out.