Military with Compression Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: Military with Compression Lock?

Post by James Y »

As a knife guy, I’m very particular about what I’ll buy and use. I’m not nearly as persnickety as some knife aficionados, but there are certain things I expect. For myself, I’d like the Military to remain a liner lock. I’ve said before that IMO it’s the best example of that lock out there. What’s most important for me about a knife that locks is its reliability and consistency under expected uses, and ease of use, more than lock type. I don’t get into arguments over or stress out about super and super-duper steels, deep carry, tip up/down, sprints, etc. I’m usually happy with the basic models of certain knives and that’s that.:)

Jim
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:45 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:17 am
https://youtu.be/xqAjzmYVsLo

Here is a Blade HQ video testing knife locks with gloves on their hands.

I'm sure everyone is different. My fingers are big enough that on some compression locks I struggle getting enough of my finger into the lock cutout to press the tab even without gloves on. With the Military the cutout is so big I have plenty of room.
Same here.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

One of the beautiful things for the military and I assume it's intended design purpose is that it can be used right or left handed with gloves on. Try disengaging a compression lock with heavy work gloves on especially left-handed! Nearly impossible. For me I would never buy a military with a compression lock
phaust

Post by phaust »

Always kind of surprised by the push for more comp locks when at the same time there are frequent reports of sticky locks, complaints about it being hard(er) to unlock with the small cutout, models with tabs and even edge sticking out over the tab when closed, and pinching. You don't see nearly as many complaints or issues with other locks Spyderco uses.

Love my Yo2 and Para 3 (and don't have any of the above to say about them), but I don't really see the comp lock as a different class as the liner lock in terms of (my) preference. I'd love the Yo2 and P3 just as much with a liner lock. I wouldn't call just changing from liner to comp lock an upgrade in the Millie, and for all the reasons above, it could be a downgrade.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cycletroll wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:30 am
One of the beautiful things for the military and I assume it's intended design purpose is that it can be used right or left handed with gloves on. Try disengaging a compression lock with heavy work gloves on especially left-handed! Nearly impossible. For me I would never buy a military with a compression lock
Right, another plus for the linerlock.

To be clear, let me say once more: Both comp.lock and linerlock (if well done) are cool, and have different pros and cons. But none is generally "better" than the other, though I personally tend to prefer a (Milli-like!) linerlock.

I think, if the comp.lock would have existed first and no linerlock(not very likely, I know, since certainly the comp.lock is based on a linerlock, but let´s just assume it ) and then somebody would have come up with the linerlock, certainly quite a number of people would have been like:
"Well, that linerlock is a cool improvement of the comp.lock, very clever and elegantly simplified, but still strong enough, the index finger is more naturally placed for releasing the lock, the thumb for guiding the blade, no finger has to move to the "spine" of the handle when operating the lock, the cutout and the lockbar are more generous and better accessible (also with gloves)" ...and so on...

Again, considering that fictional example I still would say: None is necessarely an IMPROVEMENT over the other in each possible area or property, just two alternatives, and based on what a user specifically values (more) in a locktype, either the one or the other will be better for that particular user
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I really like the way that this and another thread about Millie 2 has turned into linerlock and comp lock debate.
Nothing wrong with it, but knife is a bit more then just a lock...
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:32 pm
I really like the way that this and another thread about Millie 2 has turned into linerlock and comp lock debate.
Nothing wrong with it, but knife is a bit more then just a lock...

Totally correct, but this thread is specifically and by its title about giving the Millie a different LOCK... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

True, sometimes I get kinda lost in all this Millie talk ..but from what I read, some ppl want to stay as is in current production and some want to have comp lock and 4 way clip.....
I am not sure what is my final opinion on lock. I never had Millie so it's hard to judge without personal experience, but I like comp lock on PM2
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Why can't people ask for a Paramilitary XL rather than screwing up a veteran design?!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

5-by-5 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:08 pm
Why can't people ask for a Paramilitary XL rather than screwing up a veteran design?!
The Military 2 has been rumored for about a decade, maybe longer. The rumor was originally about a Stop Lock Military 2 but only recently were we told the prototype was for a compression lock Military 2.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

5-by-5 wrote:
Agreed. Though I fear people won't stop until they have turned Spyderco into yet another 99% same lock everything company :-/
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:38 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
Agreed. Though I fear people won't stop until they have turned Spyderco into yet another 99% same lock everything company :-/
LOL yeah. Benchmade wanted to be Spyderco. Now Spyderco is turning into Benchmade. :mad:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:49 pm
True, sometimes I get kinda lost in all this Millie talk ..but from what I read, some ppl want to stay as is in current production and some want to have comp lock and 4 way clip.....
I am not sure what is my final opinion on lock. I never had Millie so it's hard to judge without personal experience, but I like comp lock on PM2

You really have to try a Millie!
I can't find the right words in English, but it has something "majestic" about it. :)

And its linerlock is really great! Very comfortable and intuitive to use, and it may sound funny, but for me both the sound and feel when it engages (a "rich double click") are very cool and satisfying...

Someone on this forum once stated its ergos are like "sitting back in an old, comfortable leather armchair" and I think he said it well... ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Military is my favourite large folder by a country mile and by default the large handle is “ergonomic” to some extent but it never fails to amuse me when ergonomic is used to describe any slab sided folder with a pocket clip. :rolleyes:

This is an open challenge, not directed at any particular member here and without intent of being antagonistic. Try using a Military (or any other slab sided folder) to cut something that doesn’t want to be cut for five minutes and please report back on how beautifully ergonomic you found it to be. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

5-by-5 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:56 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:38 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
LOL yeah. Benchmade wanted to be Spyderco. Now Spyderco is turning into Benchmade. :mad:

It's funny nobody was saying this when the catalog was predominately back locks back when the CL was only on a few knives.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I own several Spyderco Military knives and can honestly say I doubt very much a compression lock would get me to buy another one.

I can understand somewhat how some compare the compression lock to a Liner flipped on the he backside. The compression lock is a superb piece of engineering and a really ingenious simple design.

Owning multiple Spyderco's with both locks I have to say they are both flawed and if given the choice would say no more of either lock type ever again in any model and thank you very much. except the compression lock implementation on the smock it is wonderful in that role.

Why?

#1. I have had both open in the pocket and the tip down design of the military is very dangerous to have open like this.

#2. I have seen where flexing a Liner Lock will cause it to disengage and that is typically in a scenario where the blade has become bound in the material.

#3. I have had the Paramilitary 2 close on my fingers when I was distracted by the boss while cutting plastic sheeting during preparation for a hurricane, it is stressful times like these where mistakes happen and accidents occur. This is when you need a solid lock that is not easily released by clumsy hand placement and unforeseen negative pressure being applied.

I have never had this issue with the Para 3 due to the smaller handle my thumb does not gravitate towards the space where the Compression lock is.

It is kind of strange to me when People compare the compression lock to the liner lock they are very different.

In my opinion if given an either or choice I will go for the compression lock as I have always viewed the liner lock as dangerous in that ones digits are always in the path of a moving blade, neat concept, cheap to implement but not safe.

When I think of the military I think of a knife that is meant to see some hard use, and neither the compression nor the liner lock are the correct lock in my opinion.

In my opinion the next Military should sport a truly robust lock design a mid lock back would fit the bill as would the system used on the Manix and the Power-lock.

I would even go for a compression lock as implemented on the Smock I have used that little knife quite a bit and my hand never wonders into the territory of disengaging it and it is pretty stiff. The compression lock with a strong detente solves allot of issues the liner-lock never can including ease of closing, but the ease of closing being on the back side where I am going to push down with my thumb and choke back to keep my fingers out of the way of the material being cut is a weakness.

The side button design of the smock in conjunction with a compression lock while introducing some engineering challenges solves this and a recessed button would be even better. To make a compression lock that truly is the best of all worlds would also require the button mechanism to act as a prevention for the blade to open in the pocket where it must be depressed to open the blade.

I am certain if anyone is up to that challenge it is the Spyderco Crew.

I have spoken
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:01 pm
It's funny nobody was saying this when the catalog was prominently back locks back when the CL was only on a few knives.
Oh, we're a funny mob D, make no mistake. ;)

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :D
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:00 pm
The Military is my favourite large folder by a country mile and by default the large handle is “ergonomic” to some extent but it never fails to amuse me when ergonomic is used to describe any slab sided folder with a pocket clip. :rolleyes:

This is an open challenge, not directed at any particular member here and without intent of being antagonistic. Try using a Military (or any other slab sided folder) to cut something that doesn’t want to be cut for five minutes and please report back on how beautifully ergonomic you found it to be. :)
Bingo!!!

In the role you are describing I have found my Custom Buck 110 to be far more comfortable bare handed but if I put gloves on as one probably should when cutting materials that resist being cut or even large quantities of cardboard it would swiftly make all the difference.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Military has been my favorite large folder for about 20 years now, since my first one in 440V. I’ve always loved how it feels in hand, and how much of a pleasure it is to cut with.

Jim
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:00 pm

If it doesn't want to be cut for 5 minutes you're most likely using the wrong tool. ;) :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"