Forum knife 2020 - final model poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Forum knife 2020 - final model poll

Poll ended at Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:13 am

UK Pen
38%
Shaman
17%
Lil Native
19%
Native Chief
26%

Total votes: 167

Wartstein

Re: Forum knife 2020 - final model poll

Post by Wartstein »

Don´t get me wrong, I appreciate that this poll was started and think it is maybe the only way to do it with the available tools we have here...

Still, the perfect poll on a forum knife would not (only) ask which knife of several options one likes the absolut most, but on which model most people can agree...

So: For example (knives randomly chosen!) it might be, that a good portion of people vote for the Chief as their favorite, but another good portion would actually never, ever carry it.
On the other hand, the Lil Native could be a knife that is not the absolute favorite of many, BUT still a knife many would be at least ok with (despite it is getting actually LESS votes than the Chief)

So, in that example: Though the Chief gets more votes, potentially the Lil Native could still be the knife MORE people could actually agree on than on the Chief...

Probably the only way the poll could be even improved would be to design it in a way, that people could vote for their top 2 or top 3, without an actual ranking (so just name 3 knives they´d at least be ok with) - this would perhaps result in a model that the majority can agree on....
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

On one hand these polls are fun and get me excited. On the other hand I expect to get another Knife in S90V, probably a Native5, Para2 or Para3.

We did this poll last time and nobody wanted a S90V Para2 but that is what we got. :rolleyes:

I think that the last one should have been a wharncliffe Delica and I still feel that way. I will beat that drum one more time.

I am not thrilled about a UKPK but I do think it is a great idea because it is affordable and legal for most folks. It also probably won’t cause a feeding frenzy so they will be easy to get. Let’s do it!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:35 am
On one hand these polls are fun and get me excited. On the other hand I expect to get another Knife in S90V, probably a Native5, Para2 or Para3.

We did this poll last time and nobody wanted a S90V Para2 but that is what we got. :rolleyes:

I think that the last one should have been a wharncliffe Delica and I still feel that way. I will beat that drum one more time.

I am not thrilled about a UKPK but I do think it is a great idea because it is affordable and legal for most folks. It also probably won’t cause a feeding frenzy so they will be easy to get. Let’s do it!

If possible (it´s a Seki knife...) this would be my choice over all the knives in the poll BY FAR.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Did they ever make a wharnie UKPK like they did the Urban? I'd take a wharnie Urban or UKPK or Delica or Endura or Manix or PM2 lol
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:39 am
Did they ever make a wharnie UKPK like they did the Urban? I'd take a wharnie Urban or UKPK or Delica or Endura or Manix or PM2 lol

Off topic, but I read somewhere (not on this forum) that someone saw they had a Wharnie PM2 prototype at some boot (Shot Show? Can´t recall)
attila

Post by attila »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Whoa!! :eek: It’s like you read my mind on all counts!

During the last forum knife’s discussion, I recommended the Jazzlica too. That and the Swick were my two suggestions. I would still prefer either of these two over the UKPK.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

Why do the scales have to be blue? I think it should be a color that's not going to be regular production.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:39 am
I know they did a Sheepfoot UKPK Rescue SE. They could easily do a plain edge sheepfoot that could be ground into a wharncliffe if so desired.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Another vote for a wharnie Delica! I'd actually prefer it be an OD Green Cru-carta Wharnie Delica sprint though. I don't need or want any fancy words, numbers, inlays, etc on the blade or scale as you seen on forum knives. But regardless, I've been carrying my Cruwear Delica pretty much exclusively the past few weeks, and the only knife that I think may be able to kick it out of my pocket for daily urban EDC would be a Cru-carta Delica, wharnie or standard config.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Ukpk but no frn and I'm in. Other 3 models are great too, but may be too expensive
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Ric wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:13 am
In the steel poll SPY27 was the clear winner.
35% CPM SPY27 (=handle color Cobalt Blue)
19% LC200N

SPY27 means Cobalt Blue handle.

The shortlist of the models are:
23% UK Pen
22% Shaman
19% Lil Native
Because requested often I also want to throw in the Native Chief.
Well, if no option reaches over 50%, you should do a second run with only two most wanted options (so far UKPK and Chief).
Ric

Post by Ric »

pantagana23 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:19 pm
Ric wrote:
19% LC200N

23% UK Pen
22% Shaman
19% Lil Native
Well, if no option reaches over 50%, you should do a second run with only two most wanted options (so far UKPK and Chief).
this is why we have another poll now.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:27 am
Probably the only way the poll could be even improved would be to design it in a way, that people could vote for their top 2 or top 3, without an actual ranking (so just name 3 knives they´d at least be ok with) - this would perhaps result in a model that the majority can agree on....
I just used the parameters Sal had "given". And from there the users decided.

If you have other ideas for a poll, please bring it on.
At the end we just raise proposals/wishes. What Spyderco does with it, is another story.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Ric wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:12 pm
pantagana23 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:19 pm
Ric wrote:
19% LC200N

23% UK Pen
22% Shaman
19% Lil Native
this is why we have another poll now.
Ok, then another another poll :D

Just saying that you limit it to 2 options, so we'll see where the Shaman and Lil Native voters would go to
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:22 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:27 am
I just used the parameters Sal had "given". And from there the users decided.

If you have other ideas for a poll, please bring it on.
At the end we just raise proposals/wishes. What Spyderco does with it, is another story.

Ric, once more, I really appreciate and am glad that you took the time to create this poll! :)

I just thought (and I could be wrong!) that in order to find a knife that most people can agree on it could be beneficial, if a person could vote for MORE options than just one.

Let me show what I mean in a VERY simplified example:

Let´s say the task is to filter out the knife most people can agree on out of knife A, knife B and knife C.
Let´s say in that simplified example that
51% love, but 49% hate knife A,
49% love, but 51% hate knife B,
but 100% just like knife C

First scenario: People can only vote for ONE / their favorite knife.
Knife A would get 51%, Knife B would get get 49% and knife C no vote.
Knife A would be the choice, and 49% of people would not like it at all

Second scenario: People can vote for their TWO favorite models (without ranking):
Knife C (that got NO votes in the first scenario) would get by far the most votes in total, would be the choice, and ok for everyone...

Still, I think your poll is fine, and I have no intention to start another one myself. That would be really to too much... ;)
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

I opted UKPK as it has the widest level of acceptability (i.e. the most amount of forumites can own and use it) and because I imagine that SPY27 will most likely make its way into the Shaman platform (my second choice). Also, the UKPK is a great knife for EDC only rivaled by the as yet unavailable Caly 3.5 LW.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

So is there going to be a forum knife this year? only 2 months left of the year. Or is the Colorado PM2 the knife for the year?
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Just saying that you limit it to 2 options, so we'll see where the Shaman and Lil Native voters would go to
[/quote]

i am one of the lil native voters because i did not like the other choices so if there was a new poll with just 2 knives i would not use then i wouldnt vote.

but i do think the colorado pm2 is a good forum knife, and urban, dlc dragonfly 2, dlc manix.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

infinkc wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:56 am
So is there going to be a forum knife this year? only 2 months left of the year. Or is the Colorado PM2 the knife for the year?
They don't make forum knives every year. If they were going to do one we would've heard about it by now. I think these polls are more wishful thinking than anything
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

With all the discussion about wharncliffe blades, a wharnie UKPK with a blade shape inspired by the Air in a steel which is easy to get sticky sharp would be perfect!