Forum knife 2020 - final model poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Forum knife 2020 - final model poll

Poll ended at Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:13 am

UK Pen
38%
Shaman
17%
Lil Native
19%
Native Chief
26%

Total votes: 167

speedseeker

Re: Forum knife 2020 - final model poll

Post by speedseeker »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:49 am
Still don't see a Delica wharnie in there...
I’m with you Jazz. The wharnie is the the way to go in my book when it comes to the 2020 forum knife. Plus it’s a great story!

None of the models listed excite me if I’m honest. Now, throw a wharnie is on that UKPK and yea I’m in like Flynn. Especially with the new steel.

Jazz, how can we get Sal and crew to offer more blade steels/scale colors with the wharnie? After carrying and using it exclusively I’ve fallen in love with its utter functionality. I need more!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

speedseeker wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:41 pm
Jazz wrote:
I’m with you Jazz. The wharnie is the the way to go in my book when it comes to the 2020 forum knife. Plus it’s a great story!

None of the models listed excite me if I’m honest. Now, throw a wharnie is on that UKPK and yea I’m in like Flynn. Especially with the new steel.

Jazz, how can we get Sal and crew to offer more blade steels/scale colors with the wharnie? After carrying and using it exclusively I’ve fallen in love with its utter functionality. I need more!

I'd love to see a Delica Wharnie too, but it was said that the forum knife had to be(?) / should be (?) Golden made...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:21 am
This is a sad list. I picked the Chief, but I don't care much for any of these. I'll be passing on the Forum knife again, if this list is any indication.
Exactly my thoughts as well. Voted Chief not a great list for me.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Jazz wrote:

A SERRATED full flat wharnie Delica in LC200N... imagine that ! :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Jazz wrote:

I'm in for a Cru-carta Wharnie Delica! Two votes and counting! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

My post seems to have not made it so hopefully I don't repeat myself here.

I voted for the UKPK not necessarily because I'm excited about it, but because it's the least bad option (in my opinion of course).

Shaman - quite expensive, too long for a lot of folks, several sprints/exclusives out and upocoming
Lil Native - I just don't like the knife and sold mine; too small, too expensive for what it is
Native Chief - somewhat expensive, also too long for a lot of folks
UKPK - inexpensive, legal for pretty much everyone

Given the options, none of which are a definite "will buy" for me, I voted for the cheapest one, as that's the only way I will even consider buying one.
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

Hopefully it’s a knife with a lock...I get that there’s a plurality for the UKPen, but Spyderco does locks so well, and the majority vote is for a knife with a lock...just spread amongst different options.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

speedseeker wrote:

I don’t know. I hope he and Eric are reading this and feeling sorry for us. :o I like your description. That’s how I feel. Plus, I still really like how it looks. I use it every work day and more. I hope we get a K390. I’d give it a workout.
- best wishes, Jazz.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Green canvas micarta UKPK then? :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Native Chief with cobalt blue G10!
Ric

Post by Ric »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:38 pm
Rinzler wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:14 pm
If the blade is SPY27 and the scales are cobalt blue, what makes this forum knife exclusively a forum knife? If Spyderco will be strictly using cobalt blue scales with SPY27 blades, then naturally whatever is chosen here could be a regular model in the future.

I'm just not excited about the option offered here...
I guess that was kinda what i tried to say :)
"Look at my 2020 forum knife, it's got a cobalt blue handle, just like all the other SPY27 knives.."
Yes, I think similar.
But that's the forum's opinion.
I also wrote Sal but no answer (yet?).
We can also make another poll about handle color.
I am open to everything.

But, as always, we can wish everything, what we get decides Spyderco...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:14 am
Since the last poll I got a chief and sold it. Wishing there was a Manix option.. also recently got the UKPK and love that though
If the Manix LW were an option I’d vote for that, very likely. Sorry friends overseas. But UKPK is my pick, obviously.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:46 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:18 am
I like the Lil Native, but I picked the UKPK so more people an participate.

Doc, let me (and others, especially people living in places with restrictive knife laws) ask directly what I mentioned in my previous post already:

If knife laws restricted what you can carry legally outside of your home:

Would you like a forum knife necessarely to be a model you CAN actually carry legally -
OR still the model you generally like the most, even if you CAN`T carry it legally?

I ask this, cause
1.) I just don´t have experience with restricting knife laws and really don´t know what I would prefer myself if there were such laws where I live
2.) I just assume that a forum knife would be more of a "collectors piece" for many and get not really carried anyway (though I personally certainly would carry and use it)
I dont buy knives I don’t use, excepting the knife my wife bought me for our 20th, but that’s because I’ve not been anywhere that fancy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:09 pm
If, I bought a Forum Knife, I doubt I’d want to use it and scuff it up. So it would sit unused and (eventually) forgotten.

So it would have to be something a little special to make it worth while. Non of the knives on the lists appeal to me so no Forum Knife here. :)
How about we get about 5-10x SPY27 mules and send them to get handles and we can call it the Aussie Forum knife

I know there is a fixed blade vibe from several Aussie members
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:21 am
Bloke wrote:
If, I bought a Forum Knife, I doubt I’d want to use it and scuff it up. So it would sit unused and (eventually) forgotten.

So it would have to be something a little special to make it worth while. Non of the knives on the lists appeal to me so no Forum Knife here. :)
How about we get about 5-10x SPY27 mules and send them to get handles and we can call it the Aussie Forum knife

Andy, you’re a bloody Ideas Man. Ah, hahaha!

I don’t know, but I get the impression more of us Australians fish and hunt than our American friends, per capita, of coarse. Hence our preference to fixed blades. But, ay, who knows. :)

If I had a choice for a Forum Knife, I go with a Golden made Waterway in something rusty like M4 with smooth scales that aren’t black. The Waterway’s handle is ergonomic enough not to need the deep checkering.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

speedseeker wrote:
Jazz wrote:

A side track off topic, i know.. But i would like to know how many people out there really prefer the wharnie Delica over the regular one. I have one but it doesn't really do anything for me. I carried it a week or two but didn't feel it had anything to offer over the regular Delica/Calypso Jr i replaced it with.
Don't get me wrong, i am glad it exists, for its fans and i don't by any means hate it. Just curious :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Tims

Post by Tims »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:21 am
Bloke wrote:

I’d be in on that.

Are the Mule runs still happening? If not, forum knives would be a great way to keep rolling them out. New steel each time, contract some of our forum talent to fit them out. That’d be special.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I wanted the Chief, but voted for the UKPK as it best for the broadest range of forum members.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:42 am
speedseeker wrote:
Jazz wrote:

A side track off topic, i know.. But i would like to know how many people out there really prefer the wharnie Delica over the regular one. I have one but it doesn't really do anything for me. I carried it a week or two but didn't feel it had anything to offer over the regular Delica/Calypso Jr i replaced it with.
Don't get me wrong, i am glad it exists, for its fans and i don't by any means hate it. Just curious :)
The regular one is better for me across a much large range of uses. I have a "Wharnica", but is is not used.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If you’re cutting bands, cardboard, opening boxes, etc., the wharnie Delica is very good at what it does.
- best wishes, Jazz.