Price difference between FRN lw and G10 on same models is very different

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: Price difference between FRN lw and G10 on same models is very different

Post by Bill1170 »

The Manix LW in FRCP is very different than the FRN models. I mean the construction is different. So it’s an apples and oranges comparison.

Deacon’s remark about the properties of the two compounds is on point. The FRCP is stiffer than the FRN, which allows a rigid handle without steel liners. This comes at a cost in toughness. I love my Manix LW in S110V, but really do prefer the hand feel of FRN over FRCP. All that said, there is something truly delightful about a medium sized folding knife that weighs so little! We are spoiled by Spyderco’s commitment to engineering amazing cutting tools at sensible prices.
cali

Post by cali »

Does anybody know what really FRCP is? In my opinion it is not better than FRN, just transparent. There is a lot of knives with handles made of reinorced nylon, no liners.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

jabba359 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:10 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:22 pm
Honestly it looks to me (from the outside) like Spyderco is discounting some models to get them into people's hands (Manix 2 LW for example). It's weird that people are complaining when a model is inexpensive. They compare it to another (normally priced) model and want that other model discounted too.

In the end, it's all first world problems. If you're in the market for a knife that costs more than a few dollars, you're well enough off that complaining about price is pretty silly.
Maybe you should reread all the posts. I don't see anyone complaining about an inexpensive model. Just observations of surprise by how small the Manix price difference is in relation to other models, as generally going from a "cheaper" handle material to G-10 results in a much larger price gap.
The thing is that I _do_ see that. People see that the Manix price gap is different, and they think "hey, the Manix is cheaper why isn't everything else cheaper too?"

It's a glass half full/empty thing. Instead of appreciating the cheaper Manix, people want all the models to be cheaper.