Large slipjoint Spydie, anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samdasnake

Re: Large slipjoint Spydie, anyone?

Post by samdasnake »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:10 pm
samdasnake wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:57 pm
sal wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:15 pm
Hi Cobra,

I've got a 3.5" UK (CPK - Canadian Pen knife ) that will probably go into production and I've got drawing for a larger Roadie.

sal
I'm super excited about the 3.5 CPK. I absolutely love my FRN UKPK. Do you think this will be produced with an FRN handle or G-10 like the older or HH UKPKs? I'm happy with either but I think I'd slightly prefer the FRN. Thanks!

Personally, I’m really hoping for G10. In my mind this knife will basically be a Caly 3.5 without a lock made in Golden. The Caly 3.5 is still one of my favourites. I think I remember reading that an FRN Caly 3.5 is in the works as well.
Yeah im really looking forward to the Caly 3.5 LW. I'm hoping for a Caly 3 LW as well.
sal

Post by sal »

We don't have plans for a Caly 3 LW at this time. The 3.5 is, in my opinion, a relatively classic design. A gentleman's folder that offers a lot of "cut" in a slim ergonomic package. A lot of blade is a smaller handle.

The Caly 3.5 is what that Texan used to get the Mountain lion to release his 5 year old son a few years ago. He said he was surprised as to how easily the knife penetrated the lion's side. The leaf shape with a distal taper pierces well.

The 3.5 CPK is the same, but without a lock.

sal
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

sal wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:27 pm
We don't have plans for a Caly 3 LW at this time. The 3.5 is, in my opinion, a relatively classic design. A gentleman's folder that offers a lot of "cut" in a slim ergonomic package. A lot of blade is a smaller handle.

The Caly 3.5 is what that Texan used to get the Mountain lion to release his 5 year old son a few years ago. He said he was surprised as to how easily the knife penetrated the lion's side. The leaf shape with a distal taper pierces well.

sal
Thanks for the info sal. It's a bit disappointing but hey we can't always get what we want :) and besides I'm sure I'll love the 3.5 LW. But now I know it's time for me to pick up one of the hap40 Caly3s while they're still relatively easy to find, rather than waiting for a new one to come out.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Also from your post it sounds like the CPK will be in FRN like the more recent UKPKs. That's music to my ears! I love the FRN UKPK!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

samdasnake wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:54 pm
Also from your post it sounds like the CPK will be in FRN like the more recent UKPKs. That's music to my ears! I love the FRN UKPK!
What gave you that impression?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

sal wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:27 pm

sal
This is a link to that story for members who might not have seen it:

viewtopic.php?t=54132

https://blademag.com/blog/father-fends- ... o-caly-3-5
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:34 pm
I grew up using nail-breaker ex-army jacknives and an ancient bone handled, black bladed pocket knife from my grandfathers shed, sharpened to a wavey slither. Victorinox/Wenger were waaay too pricey for kids, except for those dreadful knock-offs which put me off SAK’s for years.
Used victorinoxes can be had for $10 on eBay

Wait, so locking knives are not legal in Canada ?

I do like how the experimental, that became the Calypso Jr, led to the caly 3, which then got bumped to 3.5 with barely any increase in handle size and is the only one left
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:31 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:34 pm
I grew up using nail-breaker ex-army jacknives and an ancient bone handled, black bladed pocket knife from my grandfathers shed, sharpened to a wavey slither. Victorinox/Wenger were waaay too pricey for kids, except for those dreadful knock-offs which put me off SAK’s for years.
Used victorinoxes can be had for $10 on eBay

Wait, so locking knives are not legal in Canada ?

I do like how the experimental, that became the Calypso Jr, led to the caly 3, which then got bumped to 3.5 with barely any increase in handle size and is the only one left

They are legal in Canada but difficult to import.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:15 pm
Hi Cobra,

I've got a 3.5" UK (CPK - Canadian Pen knife ) that will probably go into production and I've got drawing for a larger Roadie.

sal

Sal, do you see a chance that the CPK might hit shelves in 2020? Or is 2021 more likely?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

Probably not. I didn't see it on the schedule, but the plan is to make it.

sal