Spydie version of a Zero Tolerance 620CF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TitaniumTroy

Spydie version of a Zero Tolerance 620CF

Post by TitaniumTroy »

Being a Huge fan of the Emerson Wave Opening Feature, I have several knives with it. From Spyderco, Emerson to Fox Knives, however my favorite for EDC is the Zero Tolerance 0620CF or 0630. They just seems to have the best all around features, premium steels, ergonomics, fit and finish, functional blade shape for EDC tasks to self defense.Being a liner lock it seems to come out smoother with less resistance than a lock back so I like that.

While I really appreciate both knives, I am also a long time fan of Spyderco and the way they do things. As an example I have many versions of the Military, Paramilitary and one PM3. I just think a Spydie version would be cool and I prefer the thumb hole over the thumb disc.
sal

Re: Spydie version of a Zero Tolerance 620CF

Post by sal »

Hi Troy,

Welcome to our forum.

Actually, Spyderco and Kershaw/Zero tolerance have always had a very respectful relationship and we would not likely make a Spyderco version of a ZT model. Sorry.

sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Well, the ZT 0620 and 0630 are Ernest Emerson's designs, now discontinued by ZT. Spyderco already has a relationship with Mr. Emerson (they license the Wave opener from him), so they could collaborate with him on a Spyderco/Emerson knife. I doubt they'd do one that's too close to the ZT versions for a couple of reasons. First, as Sal said, Spyderco won't copy another company's knife (straight designer collabs are a different, it seems). Second, frame locks, or Reeve Integral Locks (RIL) in Spyderco language, don't seem to sell well for Spyderco, based on how few are currently in the catalog and how many have been recently discontinued. That frustrates me, because I also like Ti frame locks / RILs. If Spyderco ever did an Emerson collab, I suspect they'd Spyderize it with a comp lock or CBBL.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

The PM2 Tanto they're planning on releasing wont be too far off functionally I would think.
TitaniumTroy

Post by TitaniumTroy »

I feel screwed up my original intent of my thread, past my bedtime or was drinking when I posted. Think I'll start a new that is more inline what actually wanted to ask Sal.