Snap it Salt or Salt 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Snap it Salt or Salt 2

Post by Doc Dan »

How do the Snap it Salt and the Salt 2 stack up against each other?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VooDooChild

Re: Snap it Salt or Salt 2

Post by VooDooChild »

Ive got both and I have a lot of carry time with a snapit salt from a few years back.

First of all the snapit is specialized as Im sure you already know. Its amazing for clipping it onto gear but is not going to be great at edc. You can clip it onto a belt loop but you have to be okay with that. I dont find that option as convenient as pocket carry. If you dont mind it dangling from a belt loop then its no big deal. I will say that if you want to carry in board shorts, in the pocket, clipped onto the "wax comb loop", which is how I recommend from years of experience, then the snapit salt is one of the best knives out there. If that last sentence makes very little sense to you then dont worry about it.

Handle and ergos.
The salt 2 takes this one by a wide margin. At least for me it does. I genuinely do not like the handle on the snapit, it doesnt work for my hands. Basically my pinky is forced onto the butt of the handle thats at a different angle than the rest of the handle and it annoys me. In use for quick cuts, which is the snapits specialty, it has never been a problem, but I wouldnt want to use that handle for extended periods of time, at least not compared to other spydercos I have.
The snapits kraton inserts are grippy but they can eventually come unglued as well. For the record it took mine at least a couple years of CONSTANT beach use before this happened but it can happen. Its also an easy fix, just glue them back in.
The snapit has no jimping on the thumb ramp but the carabiner lines up with the angle of the ramp. Your thumb will push on both, but I do find myself putting more thumb pressure on the frn casing over the caribiner because it has more grip.

What about the caribiner.
People argue that it gets in the way. Basically if you pull the knife out to do quick cuts and then put it away Ive never found the snapits caribiner to be a problem. This is what that knife was meant for anyway. Grab it, cut some line, clip it back. However if I had a big cutting job I could see that part of the knife interfering with you trying to use the entire blade.

Note.
The snapit has a weird ricasso area. It is NOT a choil. It is large and does have a curve to it but it will not lock your finger in and keep it from sliding onto the edge in a forward motion. I know some people grip their knives like this anyway, but Im just saying it wont lock your finger in there like a real choil would.

Blade.
The snapit has a true leaf shape blade and has thicker blade stock than the salt 2. It is a stout little knife and can take a beating. The blade shape is beautiful, one of my favorite things about it. With that said, if you get the salt 2 serrated (which you should), then the difference in cutting performance between the two is pretty much negligible.

Deployment.
This is where that whole caribiner at the top, makes a whole lot of sense. When you unclip the snapit salt you dont have to reorient it to open the blade. This is great if you are trying to use the knife one handed under stress. I dont climb, but yeah this thing is for climbing.

Recommemdation.
Probably the salt 2 for most people.(Or a native 5 salt) I like the snapit salt but its specialized. Unless you really need a knife you can clip to gear, or stuff you wear over your normal clothing, then I dont see it getting a whole lot of use for normal walking around type of stuff. Now if you are wearing a life jacket, pfd, fishing vest, waders, climbing harness, or tactical gear fairly often, then the snapit salt becomes a much more versatile option. Maybe even a necessary one.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems pretty simple, you either like the carabineer idea or you don't. I can imagine some scenarios where that style carry method might be an advantage but they're activities I've never done so I'd go with the Salt 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:46 am
Ive got both and I have a lot of carry time with a snapit salt from a few years back.

First of all the snapit is specialized as Im sure you already know. Its amazing for clipping it onto gear but is not going to be great at edc. You can clip it onto a belt loop but you have to be okay with that. I dont find that option as convenient as pocket carry. If you dont mind it dangling from a belt loop then its no big deal. I will say that if you want to carry in board shorts, in the pocket, clipped onto the "wax comb loop", which is how I recommend from years of experience, then the snapit salt is one of the best knives out there. If that last sentence makes very little sense to you then dont worry about it.

Handle and ergos.
The salt 2 takes this one by a wide margin. At least for me it does. I genuinely do not like the handle on the snapit, it doesnt work for my hands. Basically my pinky is forced onto the butt of the handle thats at a different angle than the rest of the handle and it annoys me. In use for quick cuts, which is the snapits specialty, it has never been a problem, but I wouldnt want to use that handle for extended periods of time, at least not compared to other spydercos I have.
The snapits kraton inserts are grippy but they can eventually come unglued as well. For the record it took mine at least a couple years of CONSTANT beach use before this happened but it can happen. Its also an easy fix, just glue them back in.
The snapit has no jimping on the thumb ramp but the carabiner lines up with the angle of the ramp. Your thumb will push on both, but I do find myself putting more thumb pressure on the frn casing over the caribiner because it has more grip.

What about the caribiner.
People argue that it gets in the way. Basically if you pull the knife out to do quick cuts and then put it away Ive never found the snapits caribiner to be a problem. This is what that knife was meant for anyway. Grab it, cut some line, clip it back. However if I had a big cutting job I could see that part of the knife interfering with you trying to use the entire blade.

Note.
The snapit has a weird ricasso area. It is NOT a choil. It is large and does have a curve to it but it will not lock your finger in and keep it from sliding onto the edge in a forward motion. I know some people grip their knives like this anyway, but Im just saying it wont lock your finger in there like a real choil would.

Blade.
The snapit has a true leaf shape blade and has thicker blade stock than the salt 2. It is a stout little knife and can take a beating. The blade shape is beautiful, one of my favorite things about it. With that said, if you get the salt 2 serrated (which you should), then the difference in cutting performance between the two is pretty much negligible.

Deployment.
This is where that whole caribiner at the top, makes a whole lot of sense. When you unclip the snapit salt you dont have to reorient it to open the blade. This is great if you are trying to use the knife one handed under stress. I dont climb, but yeah this thing is for climbing.

Recommemdation.
Probably the salt 2 for most people.(Or a native 5 salt) I like the snapit salt but its specialized. Unless you really need a knife you can clip to gear, or stuff you wear over your normal clothing, then I dont see it getting a whole lot of use for normal walking around type of stuff. Now if you are wearing a life jacket, pfd, fishing vest, waders, climbing harness, or tactical gear fairly often, then the snapit salt becomes a much more versatile option. Maybe even a necessary one.
Thanks. Just what I was looking for.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

VooDooChild wrote:

VooDoo, do you know if the kick is at the front or the rear of the snap-it's ricasso? I'm thinking that adding jimping or deepening the curve into a bit of a choil (or both) could be useful.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

ugaarguy wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

VooDoo, do you know if the kick is at the front or the rear of the snap-it's ricasso? I'm thinking that adding jimping or deepening the curve into a bit of a choil (or both) could be useful.
If by the kick, you mean the area of the ricasso that contacts the correct area of the lockbar pivot in such a manner as to prevent blade lash.

I garuntee nothing but, Im going to say its at the rear of the ricasso about a quarter inch (maybe less) up from the handle. If it was anywhere near the top it would contact the lockbar spring. This is also the spot of my ricasso with noticeable wear from contact.

I personally wouldnt fool around with trying to modify that but I rarely modify my knives anyway.
Attachments
20200126_110028.jpg
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:07 am
ugaarguy wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

If by the kick, you mean the area of the ricasso that contacts the correct area of the lockbar pivot in such a manner as to prevent blade lash.

I garuntee nothing but, Im going to say its at the rear of the ricasso about a quarter inch (maybe less) up from the handle. If it was anywhere near the top it would contact the lockbar spring. This is also the spot of my ricasso with noticeable wear from contact.

I personally wouldnt fool around with trying to modify that but I rarely modify my knives anyway.
Yes, exactly. Thank you for the reply.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

When did the Salt 2 SE go from an unfinished back lock bar and screws to a black backlock bar and screws???

I love Delica in frn so I'd have a biased post if I responded to the OP question... :o

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

cycleguy wrote: When did the Salt 2 SE go from an unfinished back lock bar and screws to a black backlock bar and screws???

I love Delica in frn so I'd have a biased post if I responded to the OP question... :o

CG
They have been doing it to alot of the salts lately. I first noticed it on the dragonfly salt at some point last year in a picture. The last 2 pacific salts I ordered were made in december and they had it as well.