ZDP for EDC questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: ZDP for EDC questions

Post by The Meat man »

40mm wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:10 pm
Well...it has arrived. This is a VERY solid sample of a Delica. Perfectly centered, super smooth action, and absolutely zero blade play. I'm impressed. Into the pocket it goes to be called on for any and every cutting task that comes up. I'll start a new thread to document my use with this Delica as my only knife, and my mental state as I hopefully learn to quit hunting for the next best thing and enjoy what I've got in hand. Thanks for all the input and advice folks!
Very nice 40!

Cycletroll wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:45 pm
Congrats 40mm!
Really looking forward to your share experiences.
Same here!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Off to a rocky start. I'm forseeing this to be a failed experiment. Issue number one, size. At work I can't have a knife showing so I'm an in waistband dude. The relatively (I'm used to a Dragonfly) long handle is not near as comfortable and I'm constantly readjusting it. Also there is quite a bit more sticking out when you have the clip setup for tip up. Issue number two, liners. I've spent a bunch of time cleaning stuff out of the milled liners already. Used it to cut up lemons, sweet potatoes, and other stuff for dinners and got a bunch of crud up in the handles. More cleaning than I'm used to than say when using a salt knife. Issue #3, corrosion. I must've not done a grand job at cleaning it out one of the past nights and already noticed some corrosion on the front of the tang. I'm thinking that the single knife challenge is still a possibility, but I'm thinking I chose the wrong blade with which to do it. And the insanity continues.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I bought this ZDP Caly 3 second hand years ago, and I’ve carried it a lot.

Last week it went through a complete hour long washing machine cycle with no signs of corrosion afterwards... I was a bit surprised to be honest. I’m guessing that perhaps the ZDP heat treatment for laminated blades results in better corrosion resistance compared to the solid ZDP blades. Maybe someone knows. Anyway, I’m happy with it, it keeps a fine edge noticeably longer than S90V or S110V and the action is buttery smooth.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
FK

Post by FK »

Sharpening ZDP-189,,, I have a set of DMT diamond stones in 6 inch size.
Well worn Coarse, Medium and Ex Fine, then polish on Spyderco Ex Fine bench stone.
Total time about 10 min, very quick and easy.

Have carried EDC a Delica in ZDP-189 for years, mainly in shirt pocket in winter, jeans in summer.
Apply NanoOil every few months to pivot and thin coat on blade,,, bright and clean.

Regards,
FK