ZDP for EDC questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cycletroll

Re: ZDP for EDC questions

Post by Cycletroll »

The Sharpmaker ceramic rods are perfectly acceptable for touch-ups and basic sharpening without changing the secondary bevel angle. If you're going to do much reprofiling you're going to want diamond or CBN rods.
Although it's completely possible to re-profile using the brown rods it just takes forever on a hard steel likes zdp. I did my Delica with the brown rods and my Endura with CBN rods; dramatic difference!
One of the really nice attributes of zdp is that it's not a high hard carbide steel so it is maintainable using ceramic rods. It's predominantly chromium carbides which are not as hard as Vanadium or tungsten of niobium carbide found in steel like s90v, s110v, maxamet, k390 Etc
Last edited by Cycletroll on Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dan31 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:46 pm
Delica in ZDP-189 is a great choice! I have been carrying my Superblue Delica for years, probably 90% of the time. Now I trade with Endela SE. Just be patient sharpening. Light touch
I couldn't agree more. I've had that ZDP Delica and I also got one of the very first of the Burgundy Caly Jr. models with ZDP-189 blade steel around 2005 I believe it was. The ZDP Caly Jr was the very first Spyderco model offered with ZDP-189 to the best of my memory. I EDCed both of those models over the years. I EDCed the Burgundy Caly Jr for probably about a year and a half before I ultimately went to a bigger EDC folder.

ZDP-189 blade steel truly does make an ideal plain edged EDC folder without a doubt. But do keep in mind it's corrosion weakness around food acids in particular and that it needs to be re-sharpened and maintained more than most blade steels in a folder. I retired my Burgundy Caly Jr and I don't even know where my ZDP Delica is at this time>> probably in my storage unit. But I wouldn't trade or sell either one of them.

One big thing to keep in mind. And even Spyderco admits this>> ZDP-189 is not a good steel for serrated edge models. It's just too hard and doesn't have the desirable properties for a Spyderedged unit. But it is a great overall plain edged choice IMO.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

JD Spydo- "But do keep in mind it's corrosion weakness around food acids in particular and that it needs to be re-sharpened and maintained more than most blade steels in a folder."
I am puzzled by this statement. ZDP is one of the better edge holding steels available. It greatly outperforms s30v and s35vn as well as almost all production m390 and it's analogs. If you get a nice hard HT example it will give M4 a run for its money. I am not alone in this evaluation as Pete at Cedric&Ada, as well as Tom Housang, Super Steel Steve, Etc have test data showing great abrasive wear resistance from zdp-189. As far as I am familiar with the Only common EDC steels that out perform ZDP in BOTH corrosion resistance AND edge retention are steels like s90v and s110v and you might get a good comparison with a given sample of Cruwear although it too is not really stainless and will only outcut ZDP if heat treated well. Only thing i can imagine you mean if used for abusive tasks that chip the edge then more edge maintenance would be required. That being said, ive used my Endura pretty hard and never chipped the edge on it, even cutting zip ties and stripping wire.
I do completely agree with the acid food caution bit.
Perhaps you could clarify?
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Here’s Larrin’s micrograph of ZDP189 austenitized at 1850 f.

It has quite a large carbide volume - 31%. This is more than S110V and Maxamet, although the type of carbides in each case are, of course different.

If I was sharpening with the Sharpmaker alone, I’d use the diamond or CBN rods to thin it out and apex at 15 dps then crisp up the edge with the ceramics lightly at 20 dps.

As mentioned, ZDP189 responds quite well to alumina abrasives, and I have sharpened mine to a good edge on Naniwa Chosera waterstones and maintained on the SM with no issues.

I use diamonds and CBN now though.

Also, given the sub ‘true stainless’ status, I tend to strop the flats and bevel to a higher polish, which may aid corrosion resistance a bit.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I'll use what I have currently and if things aren't working out I'll look into some different rods. Appreciate all the continued info.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

40mm wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:08 pm
I'll use what I have currently and if things aren't working out I'll look into some different rods. Appreciate all the continued info.
As others have said, you'll be fine with the standard rods, so long as you don't need to reprofile the blade. It's recommended by Sal himself, that you sharpen often, to avoid letting zdp get dull. With diamond bench stones, I have no issue sharpening or reprofiling zdp. If doing anything more than maintenance, using any guided sharpener, will take more time and wear the stones faster, since they have less surface area, compared to a large bench stone. Regular touch-ups will make it an enjoyable steel I believe.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I reckon ZDP-189 is just another excellent blade steel much maligned without reason. Primarily by kooks without basic sharpening skills and the “If it can rust, it’s no good.” mob.

In real world use it’s a great steel. I holds high level sharpens exceptional well. It doesn’t chip and crumble or rust away as the nay sayers would have you believe and it’s a pleasure to sharpen with simple SiC stones.

Not too sure there’s anything to not like. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:41 pm
I reckon ZDP-189 is just another excellent blade steel much maligned without reason. Primarily by kooks without basic sharpening skills and the “If it can rust, it’s no good.” mob.

In real world use it’s a great steel. I holds high level sharpens exceptional well. It doesn’t chip and crumble or rust away as the nay sayers would have you believe and it’s a pleasure to sharpen with simple SiC stones.

Well said Bloke!
40mm

Post by 40mm »

That's what I'm figuring as well. I had heard the same horror stories about sharpening D2 but I wanted to give it a go anyway. Grabbed a used Mini Grip in D2 and it sharpened beautifully and easily on my water stones. That showed me that I always need to make my own decisions on my own experience rather than totally relying on others. With this ZDP Delica that is on its way to me, I'm leaving myself no choice but to learn it. Everything else has been sold and this will be my sole knife. I've been doing a bit too much obsessing and looking, and buying, and selling, instead of just enjoying using, and sharpening. Bloke I hope you found your hawkbill ladybug by the way!
Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

40mm,

I admire your focus. Almost daily I wrestle with myself over too many knives and suspect that using only one knife for a prolonged time would be quite gratifying. For nearly 3 decades I followed this pattern with a single EDC folder but somehow I've been lured by the siren song of all the fabulous different models available over the last decade or so.
Please keep us updated on your journey. A ZDP Delica will be a fine companion methinks :)
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Hey thanks man. My brain doesn't do well when I get caught up overly obsessing over THINGS. I love pocket knives and learning about them but have found that bouncing from one to the next and being indecisive and wondering if the grass is always greener leads me down the wrong path. So I'm basically FORCING myself to do this but I think it will be rewarding. I chose to go with a Delica because it is a classic design that has stood the test of time. It is considered "boring" by some these days with all the other options available but I like simplicity. Seemed like a good choice for this little experiment. I also admire how Sal is very present on this forum and seeks input from his customers. I only with that the ZDP Delica had Sal's makers mark on the blade.
Cycletroll wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:22 pm
40mm,

I admire your focus. Almost daily I wrestle with myself over too many knives and suspect that using only one knife for a prolonged time would be quite gratifying. For nearly 3 decades I followed this pattern with a single EDC folder but somehow I've been lured by the siren song of all the fabulous different models available over the last decade or so.
Please keep us updated on your journey. A ZDP Delica will be a fine companion methinks :)
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I have often thought the same thing about the Endura (I'm 6'2 with large Hands and find the delica a tad small)
The classic backlock FRN design is simple, elegant, durable and ambidextrous and good with gloves too!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Cycletroll wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:22 pm
40mm,
This is exactly what I'm going thru, right up to 3 plus decades of the same EDC folder.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

A ZDP Delica was my first Spyderco knife. I still have it. I can attest that ZDP-189 responds very well to polishing, whether at the edge or over the entire blade, and polishing helps a lot with keeping corrosion from starting.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:18 am
Personally, I'll take VG-10 over ZDP-189 any day. That's based on having carried and used one version or another of the Stretch since November of 2004. While most of them have had VG-10 blades I did carry a ZDP-189 CF Stretch for well over a year. What I found was that, while it held an edge longer, it took longer to sharpen, so that was a wash. It also proved to be considerably less rust resistant, so I can't see paying a premium for it.
I'm with Paul on the ZDP. Ironic that ZDP is not my favorite steel and the back lock is not my favorite lock but the cf Caly 3.5 with ZDP has been my primary EDC since they came out. (A truly great design) Around saltwater or certain foods it will rust pretty quickly so it needs to be maintained. Looking forward to the Siren. It, or the lightweight 3.5 may finally displace the ZDP 3.5 as my primary edc. Will have to wait and see.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Cycletroll wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:54 pm
Well said Bloke!
Hey Cycle, you have to call a spade, a spade, ay. :)
40mm wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:08 pm
Bloke I hope you found your hawkbill ladybug by the way!
Hey 40mm, Many Thanks, mate. I found my little darling in the back pocket of my overalls the following day. I come home without it regularly enough but I always stress a little till I have it in hand again.

Love my little Bug as I do but no knife has caused me as much angst as this little thing. I’m forever patting myself down thinking I’ve lost it. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:31 am
Cycletroll wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:54 pm
Well said Bloke!
Hey Cycle, you have to call a spade, a spade, ay. :)
40mm wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:08 pm
Bloke I hope you found your hawkbill ladybug by the way!
Hey 40mm, Many Thanks, mate. I found my little darling in the back pocket of my overalls the following day. I come home without it regularly enough but I always stress a little till I have it in hand again.

Love my little Bug as I do but no knife has caused me as much angst as this little thing. I’m forever patting myself down thinking I’ve lost it. :rolleyes:

Great, glad for you!! :)
( And the sentence I highlighted would be a good inspiration for another one of your funny GIFs, but unfortunatley I don´t have your talents when it comes to finding those... ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This thread really makes me want my ZDP Endura back... as said, now that I am bit better (and a bit more patient) at sharpening plus own CBN rods, I am sure I´d really enjoy it!

Still, I´ll probably wait for the K390 Endura...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Well...it has arrived. This is a VERY solid sample of a Delica. Perfectly centered, super smooth action, and absolutely zero blade play. I'm impressed. Into the pocket it goes to be called on for any and every cutting task that comes up. I'll start a new thread to document my use with this Delica as my only knife, and my mental state as I hopefully learn to quit hunting for the next best thing and enjoy what I've got in hand. Thanks for all the input and advice folks! ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on FlickrImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Congrats 40mm!
Really looking forward to your share experiences.