So I want to try a Native.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's the best introduction to the Native 5?

Native 5 G-10
11%
Native 5 G-10 Linerless
36%
Native 5 LW
53%

Total votes: 72

kennethsime

So I want to try a Native.

Post by kennethsime »

It'll be my first Native, so I'm looking for advice on what to try. In addition to the poll above, I'll ask for a recommendation on a Native that's available right now (or in the near future) that's a little more interesting than the stock. Ie, not just black. I like earth tones and carbides. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SG89

Re: So I want to try a Native.

Post by SG89 »

Native 5 LW Maxamet
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I only have the LW but it's brilliant. I would go with the linerless G10 next. Can't really go wrong with any of them, I'd choose a steel first and just roll with whatever handle configuration it comes with.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dan31

Post by dan31 »

The REX 45 natives are coming. Linerless G10 or LW. Which ever drops first try to get to it. If you miss out try the next one. The Maxamet native is great.

I have the Maxamet LW and the smooth G10 Cruwear.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i only have a native salt, but i’ve handled the g10 version. the g10 version is handle-heavy and not as well balanced as the lw version. of the two, i prefer the lw, but that depends on your taste. if you want something that’s more interesting, the native salt is a great knife. it’s not exactly an earth tone, but you can dye it if you really hate yellow. i carry mine all the time, even in place of my favorite knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:46 pm
Native 5 LW Maxamet
This. Definitely.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Can't go wrong with any of the Native 5s IMO. It's funny, I have all these different Native 5's and the one I carry most is the N5 LW S35VN. Second most is the G10 S35VN with liners. Maybe it's because they were my first Natives but it's also because I really like S35VN. I'll likely be ordering new scales for the linered one soon.

The Maxamet LW is a nice choice too but pricey. I carried mine that I got from the seconds sale the other day.

If I wanted just one and money wasn't an issue then I'd go with the S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber model.

I'm sure I'll add the new Cobalt Blue SPY27 version at some point too.

Lot's of great choices when it comes to the Native 5s
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As far as I know: If you want liners, only the S110V G10 Native comes with such anymore, all other Natives are linerless (unless you look on the secondary market).

But I'd go LW (linerless FRN) anyway. I had the S35 VN Native LW (meanwhile they switched to S30V), it was very well made,felt really light but still robust, and the backlock was one if the best executed I've ever experienced. Great knife.

Still, finally I moved away from the Native and got a Chaparral instead. Same actual cutting edge length in a much more compact package, thinner, more usefull bladestock and for me in actual use the Chap has better ergos (feels more stable in hand while the Native tended to "roll" a bit).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

My first Spyder was the Native frn so I maybe biased but that is my favorite Native. Any steel is great
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
anycal

Post by anycal »

I had a few. Great knife to gift. Currently, I have one LW and two linerless G10 models. I have never owned the G10 with liners.

If I could only keep one, I'd take the G10.

In use, actually cutting, to me there is no difference. I like the in-hand denser feel of the G10 model. I feel like I have a better hold of it while closing and opening the knife one handed. But I really like just dropping the LW model into my pocket, without a clip. One of the only knives I carry clipless.

That REX45 is a really nice steel. I'd go for one of those. I am thinking about going for the LW. Go figure...
Peter
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Ive got a few and will probably get some more. The rex 45 lightweight sprint is a great deal. Probably the cheapest native with a steel upgrade (I think, it was $112 right?). Also want to know when the spy27 version will be available and what the price in it will be.

Its just such a great edc knife. I like the clips on the lightweights better than the clips on the g10 models.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

My most used knife at work & as an EDC is my blacked out combo edge Native 5 Lightweight in S35VN. If I could have only one folding knife, I think it's what I would pick. Not because it's my "favourite" in a sentimental sense, and not because it's the best at everything, but because it is very capable at everything I need a folding knife for (the serrations are important because I cut a lot of rope & other fibrous materials at my job). In terms of overall folding knife utility, it's the one that works best for me.

I have folding knives that have similar work utility (Delica 4 combo edge), and I also have knives that are more corrosion resistant (Salt 2 SE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Native 5 LW Salt PE), or that are more discreet & carryable (blacked out Li'l Native, Dragonfly 2, Chaparral FRN, Manbug SE), or have significantly better wear resistance (Native 5 LW S110V, Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189), or have more usable cutting edge (Polestar, Alcyone), or have better personal ergonomics (Introvert, UKPK, Yojimbo 2), or are better suited for SD tasks (Yojimbo 2, Introvert, Karahawk), or are "classier" (Native 5 G-10, Q Ball)—but while this particular Native 5 Lightweight doesn't score an "A+" in any single category except work utility, it's a solid "B" or "B+" across the rest of them.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

My favorite Native that I own is probably this one, but close behind it is the Salt. I really like the LW versions and I believe CS re-released these, so you should be able to find one.

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Thank you all for your input!
dan31 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:25 pm
The REX 45 natives are coming. Linerless G10 or LW. Which ever drops first try to get to it. If you miss out try the next one. The Maxamet native is great.
I think this is the answer for me. The only thing is I'm not too stoked on orange, so if it's a LW I may try to dye, and if it's G-10 I may try to find some aftermarket scales.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I've always loved the Native. Years ago, long before I got into Spyderco, I remember seeing a friend's Native (4, I think..) and just falling in love with the design.. Fast-forward to today and the Native is model that I have the most of.. the Native Salt has probably been my most carried Native, due to being so beach/lake/sweat friendly.. but I voted linerless g10 because that's what I prefer aesthetically..

Ultimately, there is no wrong answer here, just get a Native! I'm thinking my next Native will be the REX!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:33 pm
It'll be my first Native, so I'm looking for advice on what to try. In addition to the poll above, I'll ask for a recommendation on a Native that's available right now (or in the near future) that's a little more interesting than the stock. Ie, not just black. I like earth tones and carbides. :-)
I'm in the same boat as you! I've had plenty of knives, but for some reason never a Native. I've always debated which should be my first too. Very glad you created this thread! I'm piggy backing off all the responses as well for myself :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Cruwear!
But a lightweight with a Cruwear blade is KING. :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I had a Native 5 G10 / S35VN back when they had liners. The factory screws were a bit too short, I couldn't get the clip tight enough for it to not wobble. In fact, I've never had a Spyderco with a 3 hole clip where the screws thread into the liners that doesn't wobble. The liner-less knives, both FRN and G10, with the thread inserts solve this issue. Metal handles, like those on RIL knives, where much of the thickness of the handle is threaded also solve the problem. Even though it's only available in S30V, the liner-less G10 Native 5 is a great knife. The S90V / fluted CF version is also liner-less with thread inserts, which is telling to me.
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

You can’t go wrong with the Native 5 Salt. It’s my most carried knife because I do things with it that I can’t bring myself to do with my Spydiechef. It sharpens easily when needed, holds an edge long enough for my uses, and is completely maintenance free. I’m not a giant fan of the color of the scales, but for some reason, I haven’t been able to bring myself to dye it yet like I did with my Dragonfly 2 Salt.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
dan31

Post by dan31 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:56 am
Thank you all for your input!
dan31 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:25 pm
I think this is the answer for me. The only thing is I'm not too stoked on orange, so if it's a LW I may try to dye, and if it's G-10 I may try to find some aftermarket scales.
Definitely try to get one of the REX45 natives. Orange is my least favorite color. The burnt orange looks more like a natural fall leaf color. Its really hard to get a decent picture of burnt orange. It’s very muted. The REX45 will patina with awesome and the whole knife will look better and better. Just keep an open mind.