So I want to try a Native.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's the best introduction to the Native 5?

Native 5 G-10
11%
Native 5 G-10 Linerless
36%
Native 5 LW
53%

Total votes: 72

JMM

Re: So I want to try a Native.

Post by JMM »

There's nothing wrong with them, it's not a blade or handle length, I love the compression lock.... I just don't really care for them, I don't exactly know what it is about them, most days I have a Shaman or a Manix2 with me... Hey, more for everyone else right? :)
TINCUP59

Post by TINCUP59 »

My Vote is the Native LW Salt!! i just got my first Native 5 salt with the LC200N steel, and all i can say is OH MY i love this knife. I really like the weight for everyday use, I am more than pleased with the FRN, Feels more solid than it looks. can not say enough about the LC200N! Used it at the Beach, and some food prep just to see and still looks like new..

Good luck in your search!
Attachments
spyderco.jpg
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Linerless g10 does an excellent job balancing weight reduction, and that solid in hand feeling. Linerless frn is still rigid, and slightly better balanced as far as the front to back pivot point, and the scales are more contoured, however I still prefer linerless g10. I know frn will perform how I need it to, but subconsciously it still feels like a lower quality knife.
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

Baron Mind wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:06 pm
Linerless g10 does an excellent job balancing weight reduction, and that solid in hand feeling. Linerless frn is still rigid, and slightly better balanced as far as the front to back pivot point, and the scales are more contoured, however I still prefer linerless g10. I know frn will perform how I need it to, but subconsciously it still feels like a lower quality knife.
I have this same issue. It feels too much like a cheap gas station knife. I know that Spyderco's FRN is a different animal compared to that junk plastic, but it still feels similar in the hand.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I really enjoy my Native Salt, but i do find the FRN to be pocket-shredding-- much moreso than the Seki FRN on my Stretch. On my Native 5 I have removed the clip and eased the edges of the FRN by sanding the area under and around the clip area. That may have helped, but not enough. I haven't gone back for more.

The smooth G10 on my Cruwear variant is very friendly and easy on pockets. Some find it slick, but i like smooth G10 on the Native5 with it's amazing ergonomics and given the size. I don't think i would like smooth G10 on the Chief.

I agree that the G10 versions can have a more premium feel for some users-- same thing for liners. Some folks like the heft and so on. For me, the smooth G10 has a better feel and i like the action better on the G10 variant. The FRN and G10 models have different pivot and washer configurations. IIRC the G10 models have phosphor bronze washers and the FRN models have a "washer" molded into the FRN.

I haven't voted. It depends too much on your preferences and applications. The Native Salt is a great do-it-all knife if the size is good for you. If rust or corrosion is of little concern i would say linerless G10 may be best.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I voted linerless g10. I prefer the handle balance the steel backspacer offers over the frn version. I also prefer the peel ply texturing over the smooth. Nothing against smooth g10 though, I have plenty, and enjoy it greatly. But I also like the way the peel ply wears down and smooths out on its own. Will eventually turn into a soft, warm grip that stops shredding pocket tops.

But like others mentioned, if cost doesn’t matter, you absolutely should get the s90v fluted cf version. I’ve owned all the handle versions, and that one is by far the best handle for the Native.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

PStone wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:28 pm

But like others mentioned, if cost doesn’t matter, you absolutely should get the s90v fluted cf version. I’ve owned all the handle versions, and that one is by far the best handle for the Native.
I've wanted to handle both the CF and TI fluted models. Haven't yet met either IRL.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Enactive wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:39 pm
PStone wrote:

I've wanted to handle both the CF and TI fluted models. Haven't yet met either IRL.
Funny you should say the fluted ti. Of all the native5s I’ve owned, only three remain. The BHQ linerless g10, the fluted cf, and the fluted ti. The ti is a heavy one, but that also means solid as a tank.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

PStone wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 pm
Enactive wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:39 pm
PStone wrote:

Funny you should say the fluted ti. Of all the native5s I’ve owned, only three remain. The BHQ linerless g10, the fluted cf, and the fluted ti. The ti is a heavy one, but that also means solid as a tank.
PM me if you ever...