So I want to try a Native.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's the best introduction to the Native 5?

Native 5 G-10
11%
Native 5 G-10 Linerless
36%
Native 5 LW
53%

Total votes: 72

Wartstein

Re: So I want to try a Native.

Post by Wartstein »

dan31 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:07 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:56 am
Thank you all for your input!
dan31 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:25 pm
The REX 45 natives are coming. Linerless G10 or LW. Which ever drops first try to get to it. If you miss out try the next one. The Maxamet native is great.
I think this is the answer for me. The only thing is I'm not too stoked on orange, so if it's a LW I may try to dye, and if it's G-10 I may try to find some aftermarket scales.
Definitely try to get one of the REX45 natives. Orange is my least favorite color. The burnt orange looks more like a natural fall leaf color. Its really hard to get a decent picture of burnt orange. It’s very muted. The REX45 will patina with awesome and the whole knife will look better and better. Just keep an open mind.

+1 on the REX45 Native and the color.

I don´t mind bright orange, but really LIKE burnt orange (have it on two HAP40 sprints). Like Dan says, it´s hard to capture on picture what it looks like in "real life". Try it, you might like it! Certainly it looks a a lot less "shiny", eye-catching and "aggressive"than bright orange does.

And since REX45 is very,very similar to HAP40, it just has to be great... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
dan31 wrote:
The REX 45 natives are coming. Linerless G10 or LW. Which ever drops first try to get to it. If you miss out try the next one. The Maxamet native is great.
I think this is the answer for me. The only thing is I'm not too stoked on orange, so if it's a LW I may try to dye, and if it's G-10 I may try to find some aftermarket scales.

Added to my post above: Imho this https://youtu.be/rKM0EWVtnn8 video shows pretty well and realistic what burnt orange looks like in real life, both in G10 and FRN.

(Plus: How well REX 45 (on the Para3) does concerning edge retention in the particular test of this guy)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:14 pm
dan31 wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
dan31 wrote:
Definitely try to get one of the REX45 natives. Orange is my least favorite color. The burnt orange looks more like a natural fall leaf color. Its really hard to get a decent picture of burnt orange. It’s very muted. The REX45 will patina with awesome and the whole knife will look better and better. Just keep an open mind.

I don´t mind bright orange, but really LIKE burnt orange (have it on two HAP40 sprints). Like Dan says, it´s hard to capture on picture what it looks like in "real life". Try it, you might like it! Certainly it looks a a lot less "shiny", eye-catching and "aggressive"than bright orange does.

To me, the burnt orange is like a light rust color. It's unique on a knife and looks great in my opinion.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Albatross wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:46 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:14 pm
dan31 wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

To me, the burnt orange is like a light rust color. It's unique on a knife and looks great in my opinion.
I'm also a big fan of the burnt orange - it's not gaudy or loud at all like a bright orange would be (imo). Very earthy tone. But be aware: My only complaint on the linerless g10 native is that it's hard to find aftermarket scales for them, at least I've had no luck. So if you don't like the color on the rex models, you could be stuck with it a while.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have never owned a Native, in any configuration, I LOVE the Shaman Stretch2, Police4 (G10 or LW), & Manix2, Sage, and while I've held a G10 & LW Native5, they've never been a knife I had to have.... I know allot of ppl will declare me a traitor, I really don't care for PM2,s I have three, Elmax, s110v, Rex45, and I just don't care for them, I got them each for their steel to try out, not for the model they were... I like Para3's, I have 6 of them... I think I am going to take the Plunge on this sprint run as I am huge Rex45 fan.... I'm interested to see the outcome of this poll, and the comments....
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I have and really like both the linerless G10 and the FRN Native 5.

The two i have are Native Salt and Cruwear with smooth G10. I really like both.

For me, the primary reason to have the variant with liners would be to facilitate making my own scales. I do also enjoy a well-fitted H that you find with backlocks with full liner construction. The big downsides to me are the handle heaviness and more corrosion-prone liner construction. I am also not interested in S110v.

In REX45, i am keen to get a LW Native.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd still love to see a Cru-carta Native based on the Linered G10 model. A folding tank that thing would be.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:43 pm
I'd still love to see a Cru-carta Native based on the Linered G10 model. A folding tank that thing would be.
I thought of our previous discussion of the Crucarta Native when I wrote my last post. I trust you're still enjoying your Shaman.

I would like to make some wood scales too if I had a liner construction N5.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

If you are looking for a nice small knife, it is hard to go wrong with any Native. I have a G10 linerless and it has probably been abused more than any of my knives and it is doing just fine. I have the Maxamet LW -- just because I had to have Maxamet and it seemed ideally suited for a small blade like the Native. It is fine too, but just doesn't see much use for some reason.

A Native was my first backlock knife and I was surprised that it doesn't fly open like a PM2 or other knife. That is just how backlocks are and it is entirely good.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'd usually say standard G10, but on this I'd get the N5 Salt...

And then swap the blade into a fluted CF handle. :P
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:43 pm
Two materials I'd like to try on a great knife model I'd like to try! I'd be in.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Thanks everyone! Maybe the burnt orange will grow on me. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:58 am
Thanks everyone! Maybe the burnt orange will grow on me. :-)
i have multiple knives in colors i didn’t like at first. after holding them and using them, they were so good i stopped caring about the color. ironically, the knives with black handles are the ones i want to mod because i like them enough to want them to look more special.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Tapik

Post by Tapik »

I've waiting for a Native 5 FRN Pink in my store (they should get it to me in a week or so), is S30V worth it?
archangel

Post by archangel »

I owned two FRN N5 and sold them. I ended up with a G10 N5 S35VN with liners. This is the best package for me. Feels so much better than the FRN lightweight. Overall the N5 is a five-star-design. Superb!

Same with the Stretch. First owned a Stretch 1 lw, sold it, got a Stretch 2 G10 instead. And love it.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Tapik wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:47 am
I've waiting for a Native 5 FRN Pink in my store (they should get it to me in a week or so), is S30V worth it?
Yes, S30V is a great steel. S30V has been used on so many knives from Spyderco and competing companies that the enthusiasts you'll find on forums like this are bored with it. I'd rather have S30V than quite a few other steels.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:56 pm
Tapik wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:47 am
Yes, S30V is a great steel. S30V has been used on so many knives from Spyderco and competing companies that the enthusiasts you'll find on forums like this are bored with it. I'd rather have S30V than quite a few other steels.
Me too. S30V & S35VN work very well for me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

JMM wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:14 pm
I know allot of ppl will declare me a traitor, I really don't care for PM2,s
You sir, are a traitor !!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:56 pm
JMM wrote:
Add me to the traitor list. The PM2 doesn't feel right in my hand.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:19 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:56 pm
JMM wrote:
Add me to the traitor list. The PM2 doesn't feel right in my hand.
That's why it's nice there's so many great models to choose from. We're not all the same and we definitely don't have to like the same models.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!