Sticky compression lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jet B

Re: Sticky compression lock

Post by Jet B »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:20 pm
"I wish they would just sell me a new spring liner"-Jet B

I find it frustrating that they don't have PM2 liners available. It's not like the factory is across the World where there would be some difficulty in getting and storing the parts. Instead, for lack of a simple part, another durable good goes to the scrap heap.

Yes! These knives are pretty expensive tools and I do own quite a few Spydercos. I just want to be able to fix my tool that had what I thought was a manufacturer defect. I could just buy a new one sure, but with me, it's never that simple. I run on principle maybe too much. If I feel that I have been stung by a product, I will just never buy another one and try another brand after researching customer satisfaction on the webs. I absolutely won't ever buy another Spyderco with a compression lock unless I can handle it first. That is a problem since the only decent prices are from online retailers in my area. I'm not paying full price for these knives, I only look for sale prices.
rivy

Post by rivy »

I've had plenty of sticky compression locks, some went away, some didn't, and other knives never had stick at all... it would be great if there was a simple fix though.
CarsonWayne

Post by CarsonWayne »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:43 am
i have polished that area on my lil native and para 3, got rid of lock stick actually by polishing where the washers are and polishing the washers themselves.
I would really like some help here. My Lil Native is almost unusable due to lock stick. To get the blade to release I have to squeeze the heck out of the compression lock tab. It often makes a nasty grinding sound as I can here the lock scraping against the notch in the bottom of the blade. I tried some pencil lead (which has worked on other knives), but to no avail in this case. I really like this little knife, but it is no fun to use right now.
CarsonWayne

Post by CarsonWayne »

Jet B wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:43 am
acer wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:44 am
I think the compression lock has been improved especially going by my para 3 .your right my early para 2 phurchases of approx 10 years ago long gone now did have more stick of that I am sure . Have a camo para 2 in collection no stick but little use .would recommend a para 3 and military cool big brother little brother user combo brace . Not sure on the lwt para 3 happy with my g10 good luck out .
I appreciate that info. I never thought that maybe the newer Para models might have less lock stick. I guess I'm just feeling salty because it really was one of my favorite knives and it sucks I ruined it trying to fix the sticking. I do have an old M390/carbon fiber sprint Military that I've been carrying more since sending away my Para 2, and I have an original Paramilitary that lives in the garage and gets used for cardboard duty so it's not like I'm suffering too much from lack of Spydies in my life. But I'm guessing everyone here understands what it's like to obsess over a single favorite knife...

I'll try to repair it myself once I get it back. (It will take some careful thinking...)

Maybe someday I'll be able to justify spending on a new Para 2 or 3 in S110, just not a huge fan of the blurple color. Although, after this experience, I don't know if I'll be able to purchase another compression lock model without handling it first to see if the lock sticks.

My Lil' Native didn't start sticking until after several carries. I wouldn't have been able to anticipate that just by testing in a store. Very frustrating.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I would really like some help here. My Lil Native is almost unusable due to lock stick. To get the blade to release I have to squeeze the heck out of the compression lock tab. It often makes a nasty grinding sound as I can here the lock scraping against the notch in the bottom of the blade. I tried some pencil lead (which has worked on other knives), but to no avail in this case. I really like this little knife, but it is no fun to use right now.
[/quote]

there is something you can do but its not for the faint. if you dont want to take it apart then youll have to send it in, if you would take it apart. i would see if there is a burr on the face of the blade where the lock hits the ramp if there is get like 2k grit wet sand and be very careful to smooth the burr. if you take off too much it wont lock anymore.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

I'd be very careful, I polished the surfaces on my Para 2 to fix that very same problem. It made the sticking worse and then I removed more out of frustration. Too much was removed and the lock now had vertical blade play.

Spyderco would then not fix anything under warranty. You should just send it to them with the apparent manufacturer defect and no maintenance done by yourself or they won't fix it.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

CarsonWayne wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:20 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:43 am
i have polished that area on my lil native and para 3, got rid of lock stick actually by polishing where the washers are and polishing the washers themselves.
Have you tried putting a drop of lube on the blade tang where the stop pin hits when the knife is closed? That's also part of the lock interface and provides friction.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I would try to disassemble it, degrease it and cover the blade tang with Sharpie or pencil....also try to rotate the stop pin a bit.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've had more PM2s than I care to admit, and for some reason I've never been able to rid the lock stick from my REX45. If you've tried all the suggested methods, it may be time to send it to Golden. I just live with it... anyway, it's extra security.
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Now, the icing on the cake... I'm in Canada, and my Para 2 that Spyderco sent back to me unrepairable has been held in customs for the past week. I hope it's not the old case of silly customs agents yet again wrist flicking knives to test them and calling them banned "gravity knives" whatever that really is.

I just can't win with this thing. 😝 Might not get to fix it after all.

That being said, if you ship to Canada, have them tighten the pivot first. That's what I did in the past and they made it to me.

I'm embarrassed for my country.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

CarsonWayne wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:28 am
... My Lil' Native didn't start sticking until after several carries. I wouldn't have been able to anticipate that just by testing in a store. Very frustrating.
This sounds exactly like acquired crud especially when it worked then was carried a few times and now it does not work. Pocket lint or stuff that works its way into the action. This is far more common than usually acknowledged. First thing is to clean the knife. Second the pocket it's carried in. Third take a look at your lubes because some are known attractors of crud (think ionic charges) or just a wet sticky surface.