The HARPY: A Great Hawkbill Model That Deserves Respect

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The HARPY: A Great Hawkbill Model That Deserves Respect

Post by JD Spydo »

Since I became a big fan of Spyderco's Hawkbill blades back around 2004 there has been one model that I've always loved better than most of Spyderco's great Hawkbill models>> The Hawkbill model I've relied on the most over the years has been the HARPY. The HARPY is a really stout, rigid Hawkbill model that is built incredibly well. The older ATS-55 era G-10 Harpy is probably my favorite HARPY and also my favorite Spyderco Hawkbill ever. For that reason I still wish that Spyderco would make a G-10 version of the SPYDERHAWK. I do believe if they would give the G-10 HARPY another chance I believe it would be a great selling unit.

Most of the time when recently I hear of talk about Hawkbill models I hear very little about the HARPY. And don't get me wrong I dearly love all my SPYDERHAWK models I've gotten over the years. But as a companion SE folder I"ve found that the SE HARPY is an extremely dependable and durable hard use folder. OK Let's talk about the Harpy and how you all feel that it stacks up against other Spyderco Hawkbill models. Also if you had your way what types of handles would you like to see the HARPY made with. I've wanted another G-10 and possibly a Titanium version of the HARPY.

Also what do you all use your HARPY models for? What improvements would you suggest for the HARPY model? How do you rank Spyderco's HARPY as a "hard use" Hawkbill folder?
James Y

Re: The HARPY: A Great Hawkbill Model That Deserves Respect

Post by James Y »

My SS Harpies (one in ATS-55 and the other in VG-10) are my favorite hawkbill folders. I actually prefer them to the Tasman and also my Spyderhawk Salt, even though the blades are thicker, because they are much heftier than the Tasman. As a "hard use" (whatever hard use is for a folder) hawkbill folder, I rank it as Spyderco's best. I've used my Harpies for gardening work, some digging/weeding, severing rope, opening clamshell packaging, breaking down thick cardboard boxes for the recycle bin, etc. Even though a boxcutter is probably best for breaking down cardboard, I've used the Harpy for it and never felt like it would give out.

I've never owned a G-10 version.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I totally agree with you JIM. The HARPY just has a rigid construction that none of the other Spyderco Hawkbills seem to have. Now the one hit wonder SUPERHAWK model was also built nicely but was not made available in Spyderedge unfortunately.

I do believe if they made a Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle it would much improved it's overall construction.

But even the regular, standard issue Stainless Handled HARPY is truly a mid-sized Spyderco Hawkbill you can really trust. Also I've put a couple of my HARPYs through some pretty rough outdoor uses and they just keep on performing at a high level.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

The only experience I have so far with hawkbills is the Byrd Hawkbill. With only a month's worth of experience with it, I can say it hasn't let me down or made me wish I had a different blade shape. The titanium handle swap on mine makes it feel even more sturdy than the FRN. It has never felt delicate in use, rather very robust.

Offering a hawkbill in the Native line would be amazing! Shaman hawkbill SE?

My only hawkbill:

crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I would probably own one of they weren't as scales. I'm just not a fan.
Justin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wish the Delica/Tasman had the same shape handle. Otherwise I have to agree I'm not a big fan of stainless handles on most knives so I'd have to go with a Tasman over a Harpy even though I prefer the ergos of the Harpy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:23 pm
I wish the Delica/Tasman had the same shape handle. Otherwise I have to agree I'm not a big fan of stainless handles on most knives so I'd have to go with a Tasman over a Harpy even though I prefer the ergos of the Harpy.
I would agree that with most people the Stainless handles can be sort of a "turn off". And it baffles me too because when they took the POLICE model and started to offer it up in G-10 and Carbon Fiber it not only catapulted the sales of that model I actually seen far more people that actually wanted to use the POLICE model.

The G-10 Harpy which was briefly made back in the late 90s/early 2000s is still one of Spyderco's most sought after collector pieces and there is a fan base (including myself) that dearly loved the G-10 Harpy as a work knife ( companion blade).

One point I had in making this thread is to get Spyderco to consider remaking this model with better handle material and more blade steel selections. There is a reason that the Harpy has become a permanent fixture in the main line up.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:45 am
Evil D wrote:
I would agree that with most people the Stainless handles can be sort of a "turn off". And it baffles me too because when they took the POLICE model and started to offer it up in G-10 and Carbon Fiber it not only catapulted the sales of that model I actually seen far more people that actually wanted to use the POLICE model.

The G-10 Harpy which was briefly made back in the late 90s/early 2000s is still one of Spyderco's most sought after collector pieces and there is a fan base (including myself) that dearly loved the G-10 Harpy as a work knife ( companion blade).

One point I had in making this thread is to get Spyderco to consider remaking this model with better handle material and more blade steel selections. There is a reason that the Harpy has become a permanent fixture in the main line up.

I'm sure it has to do with G10 being so expensive from Japan (for whatever reasons). This is another reason I wish they'd make a hawkbill in Golden.

The stainless handle thing is a hit and miss for me. The Police model is actually one that I love in stainless....I can't really say why, I think that's the best version of the Police but on the other hand I can't stand the stainless Endura. I also really like some smaller knives in all stainless like the Balance, Lava, Spin, Cricket and probably a few I'm not remembering. At the same time it's strange to me because the new stainless Kiwi just looks absolutely naked in all stainless, maybe it's because I'm used to seeing those with inlays.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:15 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:45 am
Evil D wrote:

I'm sure it has to do with G10 being so expensive from Japan (for whatever reasons). This is another reason I wish they'd make a hawkbill in Golden.

The stainless handle thing is a hit and miss for me. The Police model is actually one that I love in stainless....I can't really say why, I think that's the best version of the Police but on the other hand I can't stand the stainless Endura. I also really like some smaller knives in all stainless like the Balance, Lava, Spin, Cricket and probably a few I'm not remembering. At the same time it's strange to me because the new stainless Kiwi just looks absolutely naked in all stainless, maybe it's because I'm used to seeing those with inlays.
Oh I couldn't agree with you more about them making a Hawkbill blade in GOLDEN :cool: . That is a project that is way overdue IMO. But they still need to look into other possible handle materials for the Harpy. I would pay the price if they did another run of the CF Harpy. However Stainless is not bad for all types of folders. I still use my Stainless Handled RESCUE model quite a bit to this day. But for a Hawkbill folder there has just got to be a better alternative IMO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm just a little bit taken back at this point :( . I'm also really disappointed that so few of the Spyderville faithful had anything good to say about the HARPY model :confused: . Not only is it one of the longest running models in the Spyderco main line up it's truly a classic and you might say it's the Godfather of all the great Spyderco Hawkbill models.

Yeah I'm probably more of an old school fan than most of you here and I've been here longer than many of you for sure. But if you're a true Spyderco fan and/or enthusiast then how could you not like some of the older models that have led up to where we are now in the Spyder-Kingdom.

I challenge all of to take a closer look at the HARPY model. There are features that truly set the HARPY aside from many of the great models over Spyderco history. Also the HARPY truly paved the way for all the other great Spyderco Hawkbills when you think about it.

If you don't like the HARPY I would like to know why :confused: ??? I always like hearing both sides of any story. But to me the HARPY is most definitely in the top 20 of all the Spyderco models ever made IMO.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey JD,
I know I've expressed my love for the Harpy before, but it's still one of my favorites.
I got mine used for $50.00, and because of your old posts, just wanted to give it a try.
Turns out, it became a go to as a secondary blade to accompany a pe primary.
At work, it cuts cardboard, nylon strapping, cord, and zipties.
Some pe blades just slide off of these materials, but the se hawksbill digs in and makes the cut.
The Harpy made me want the se lady bug hawkbill, and that makes for a fantastic keychain knife.
I do wish Spyderco would bring back the Harpy with an upgraded steel, and green micarta scales.
More people should experience the utility the Harpy offers.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
James Y

Post by James Y »

Well, I for one LIKE the Harpy’s “traditional” SS handle scales. It clips very snugly, yet doesn’t abrade pocket material when clipping it in or pulling it out.

Jim
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I think I've said it somewhere else before, but when I was looking for an introductory hawkbill I did consider the Harpy. I ended up going with the byrd instead because of the cheaper cost (no regrets either), but if I were to buy another hawkbill I'd probably go for the Harpy.
I like the looks of it, you can't get any stronger and tougher than a solid stainless handle, and I really like how VG-10 performs in serrated edges. (Better than H-1 IMO.) It was only the cost that kept me from going for it the first time.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:20 pm
I think I've said it somewhere else before, but when I was looking for an introductory hawkbill I did consider the Harpy. I ended up going with the byrd instead because of the cheaper cost (no regrets either), but if I were to buy another hawkbill I'd probably go for the Harpy.
I like the looks of it, you can't get any stronger and tougher than a solid stainless handle, and I really like how VG-10 performs in serrated edges. (Better than H-1 IMO.) It was only the cost that kept me from going for it the first time.
That's interesting in a way. Because from their inception I've pretty much avoided the Byrd knives all together. But the one I'm still tempted to cave in a buy is their Crossbill model. I actually like the blade design and angle>>> the blade design on the Crossbill is very similar to the design of the blade on the SUPERHAWK model of days past.

But if you get a Harpy you will immediately see how much more rigid, bulky and solid that it is constructed compared to many of the other Hawkbill models. If they made a Spyderhawk model with a G-10 handle and the same rigid construction that the Harpy has gotten they would sell out in less than two months... I'm sure of it even with a lofty retail price I think they would.

The G-10 Harpy was such a well made unit it's just a shame that many of you newer guys and gals haven't gotten to test drive one first hand.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sharpguitarist wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:00 pm
Hey JD,
I know I've expressed my love for the Harpy before, but it's still one of my favorites.
I got mine used for $50.00, and because of your old posts, just wanted to give it a try.
Turns out, it became a go to as a secondary blade to accompany a pe primary.
At work, it cuts cardboard, nylon strapping, cord, and zipties.
Some pe blades just slide off of these materials, but the se hawksbill digs in and makes the cut.
The Harpy made me want the se lady bug hawkbill, and that makes for a fantastic keychain knife.
I do wish Spyderco would bring back the Harpy with an upgraded steel, and green micarta scales.
More people should experience the utility the Harpy offers.
Later,
Don
I've bought a couple of used Harpy models over the years myself. And that is one model I would buy again used. I use most of my Hawkbill models anyway so that just wouldn't bother me unless I found a rare collector piece like a G-10 Harpy NIB or an original PE blue VG-10 Spyderhawk NIB. In that event if I were to find something that rare it would go into one of my footlockers for sure.

The Harpy is such an ideal size for most of the knife using public. I do use a couple of my Spyderhawk models as EDC companion blades in full SE because for my uses it's just a bit more capable for bigger, rougher jobs than the Harpy. But the blade length and with many states having draconian knife and gun laws you've got to check your local laws and ordinances first. I frankly don't give a rat's rectum what anyone thinks about what I carry and use for EDC blades>> but I am in a state where we have some pretty reasonable knife laws ( Thank GOD) which does take some pressure off.

But overall the Harpy is about a perfect size considering where you might be and whether or not you're in an urban area or rural area. Most rural areas here in Missouri they really don't give a hoot. For a first time Hawkbill user the HARPY would be my first pick overall >> unless you are in a salt water environment then I would go with the H-1 Tasman SE.