Paramilitary 2 - CTS-204p Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Accutronman

Paramilitary 2 - CTS-204p Question

Post by Accutronman »

This is for anyone owning a PM2 CTS-204p. I was recently going through my collection examining and cleaning each knife. When I got to my two PM2s in CTS-204p, I noticed an interesting thing on both knives. On the spydie logo side of the blade, underneath almost the center of the spydie hole is a pronounced vertical line that at first examination I thought was perhaps a striation line in the steel. On closer examination, it looks almost like a crack line running from the spydie hole to the blade edge. It appears on both knives in roughly the same place.

Before I query Warranty and Repair, have any other owners of this model seen the same thing? Thanks!
TkoK83Spy

Re: Paramilitary 2 - CTS-204p Question

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Can you take some pics?? I don't have the PM2 of this knife, but I have the Military. (I'm assuming you're talking about the KnifeWorks exclusive model?) I'm going to check mine when I get home tonight, you've got me curious.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Peacedivision

Post by Peacedivision »

I checked my sample and I'm not seeing anything beyond the normal machining and grind marks.

blues

Post by blues »

Nothing amiss on mine. (Neither the PM2 nor the Military.)
- Retired from the chase -
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

89E5FE51-763C-4155-B3B5-9BC18CBDC2BF.jpeg
4022E2AE-05D5-4328-9674-054E9A1DB9BC.jpeg
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

The pictures are out of focus, so a real opinion is not possible, but it looks like a grind line.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Yeah, I think what you have there is a grind line. What most likely happened there is a deeper-than-normal scratch was made by the coarse belt, and the subsequent finer grits failed to mute it. It's not by any means a defect, and certainly nothing to worry about. They are all over my knives, certainly the ones I've made but definitely the ones I've bought too. Some are more pronounced than others, and there's no clear pattern other than the harder steels tend to have less perfect finishes and 204P, while fine-grained in Spyderco models, is a very wear-resistant steel so it is subject to finish "imperfections" much more than steels like VG-10 which are usually finished super smooth in my experience. Sounds like you bought two knives ground on the same belt with the same abnormally large grain of abrasive. Twinsies!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I don't know. Hard to tell from the photos.

At least you have two of them, so if you decide to have Spyderco take a look you'll still have one to carry and use. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nothing on my Military. I agree, looks like a grind line. I have a few knives with those. No big deal
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Many thanks to all for the insights!
Donut

Post by Donut »

On most holes, there is something of note. When they use a laser or a plasma cutter to cut the blade out (of a large sheet of steel) and to cut the hole out, there has to be a starting point.

Usually the whole outside of the blade is finished, so you won't notice the starting point of the outside of the blade.

I think Taiwan will grind the inside of the hole flat, so it will look satin like the rest of the blade, but some factories don't finish the inside of the hole.

I'll get mine out a little later and give it a good examining. Where exactly did you say it is? First you say vertically down the Spyder Logo, then you say from the Hole to the Edge. I think I see something in your pictures, but it just looks like a grind line in your picture.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Donut wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:54 pm
On most holes, there is something of note. When they use a laser or a plasma cutter to cut the blade out (of a large sheet of steel) and to cut the hole out, there has to be a starting point.

Usually the whole outside of the blade is finished, so you won't notice the starting point of the outside of the blade.
Usually there will be a small lead-in from the initial pierce, and depending where the lead-in is placed you might not be able to see anything at all.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Azilla21

Post by Azilla21 »

I had the same thing happen to my exact PM2. It was a fine crack in the blade and I had to send it in. I’m not sure why it’s happened to this run of 204p PM2’s.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Accutronman wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:04 pm
This is for anyone owning a PM2 CTS-204p. I was recently going through my collection examining and cleaning each knife. When I got to my two PM2s in CTS-204p, I noticed an interesting thing on both knives. On the spydie logo side of the blade, underneath almost the center of the spydie hole is a pronounced vertical line that at first examination I thought was perhaps a striation line in the steel. On closer examination, it looks almost like a crack line running from the spydie hole to the blade edge. It appears on both knives in roughly the same place.

Before I query Warranty and Repair, have any other owners of this model seen the same thing? Thanks!
Read this https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_pe ... NDQ4Mjg%3D
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

This thread has inspired me to carry my trusty and well worn 204p military today. :)
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:41 am
This thread has inspired me to carry my trusty and well worn 204p military today. :)
I like Millie 204p, have 3 of them :)