So I stripped a pivot screw.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

So I stripped a pivot screw.

Post by kennethsime »

Well, I feel stupid. Disclaimer, I understand that disassembling my pocket knife voids the warranty.

I was able to pickup a black/S30v Para 3 for $100 (BBS bundle with a gift for a friend) and wanted to install some after-market green canvas micarta scales I picked up from bladescales.com.

I've disassembled many Spydercos before, but never a Paramilitary. It seems there was some pretty significant thread locker on this particular knife, and I managed to strip a pivot screw.

In the past, I've been able to purchase clip kits for several knives, and even an Endura rebuild kit once. Am I able to purchase a pivot screw, several pivot screws, or a whole screw kit for a Para 3? I've emailed Spyderco customer service to inquire, just wanted to ask here in case someone has a better idea.

Also, I tried soaking the knife in hot (200 or so, not boiling) water for 5 minutes, but this didn't seem to help loosen the Loctite. Any other tips?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JMM

Re: So I stripped a pivot screw.

Post by JMM »

Secondary market has lots of screws you're in need of.... e*ay has plenty from a quick search just now. ~$5
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:31 pm
Well, I feel stupid. Disclaimer, I understand that disassembling my pocket knife voids the warranty.

I was under the impression this hasn’t been the case for a couple/few years now?
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I don’t think 200 F will touch the loctite. You need to get the screw up to 300 F to break most adhesives. Some people use a soldering iron I hear.

I haven’t had this issue. Two tips: some knives have a pivot screw on one side that is immobile (D slot). That is easy to strip since it doesn’t move. Also put a lot of downward force on the driver to make sure it doesn’t slip.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Did you strip the threads or just round out the head? Disassembly doesn't automatically void the warranty, but warranty won't cover the damage you do trying to DIY. Clean soldering iron held to the head for a few seconds will break most threadlockers, boiling water won't get the job done.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:02 pm
kennethsime wrote:
I was under the impression this hasn’t been the case for a couple/few years now?
I'm not sure actually. I think Spyderco told me this when I stripped a screw on a Stretch maybe 6-8 years ago and ended up purchasing the Endura rebuild kit just for the screws.

In any case, the knife is great; no problems and no need for warranty. I mostly stated it as a "I know I screwed up" kind of thing.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:16 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:02 pm
kennethsime wrote:
I'm not sure actually. I think Spyderco told me this when I stripped a screw on a Stretch maybe 6-8 years ago and ended up purchasing the Endura rebuild kit just for the screws.

In any case, the knife is great; no problems and no need for warranty. I mostly stated it as a "I know I screwed up" kind of thing.
Understood. Crossing fingers it works out for ya.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Get rid of your Husky tools and purchase a high quality tool like Wiha (germany) or equivalent.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Use the shock method to break the bond. Insert a good fitting torx bit into the screw head and give the end of the bit (or driver extension) a few firm whacks with a small mallet. Then use the same bit and and driver with plenty of leverage to loosen.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:39 pm
Get rid of your Husky tools and purchase a high quality tool like Wiha (germany) or equivalent.

CG
Yea, that's not the problem in this case I believe. I have some very nice Wera jeweller's drivers, and have not had a problem dissembling Seki Spydercos. I think it's literally just about the thread locker on the pivot.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:05 pm
some knives have a pivot screw on one side that is immobile (D slot). That is easy to strip since it doesn’t move.

Have you ever encountered a Spyderco with a D slot for the pivot or body screws where the outer hollow "nut" portion had a Torx, Allen, or Phillips head? My experience disassembling Spydercos is admittedly limited, but any such fasteners I've encountered had simple flat or domed heads, so no way you could try and turn them.

cycleguy wrote: Get rid of your Husky tools and purchase a high quality tool like Wiha (germany) or equivalent.

CG

Have nothing against Wiha, but I've been using a Husky set on knives, guns, and cars since 2004 and have yet to damage either a screw or a driver bit.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:22 am
Have you ever encountered a Spyderco with a D slot for the pivot or body screws where the outer hollow "nut" portion had a Torx, Allen, or Phillips head? My experience disassembling Spydercos is admittedly limited, but any such fasteners I've encountered had simple flat or domed heads, so no way you could try and turn them.
Hi Paul, the the newer Military’s have a “D” pivot pin and torx socket on both sides and the Advocate is the same too as is the PM2 I think. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cycleguy wrote:

CG

Wiha are definitely better but I also have no problem with my Husky set. I've broke every screw loose I've tried except for one and there is an unbelievable amount of thread locker on the screws on this knife. The other side screw came out and there was so much thread locker on it that it crumbled out like bread crumbs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:03 am
cycleguy wrote:

CG

Wiha are definitely better but I also have no problem with my Husky set. I've broke every screw loose I've tried except for one and there is an unbelievable amount of thread locker on the screws on this knife. The other side screw came out and there was so much thread locker on it that it crumbled out like bread crumbs.

Right, but both screws on both sides thread into the pivot barrel, so both sides can still turn and be removed. That’s the point he was making. Even with pivots that are D shaped, if there is a screw head on both sides, then both sides can be removed.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Deacon wrote:
It’s been a while but I feel like it was the Positron that is this way. Maybe I’m misremembering and it was a non-Spyderco.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't recall ever seeing one that had a screw head that wasn't actually a screw? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the topic here. The Military had a dome head on one side and lots of knives were like that back in the day. I know for sure the screw I stripped is in fact a screw because I have another Caribbean that I've had both sides of the pivot out of.
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I watched the Nick Shabazz teardown video and it looks like the Para 3 pivot barrel itself is keyed on one side (in a D shape), but not the screws. Pretty sure the issue is the thread locker still. I was able to buy a replacement set of hardware on eBay, so I'll wait until that comes in and try either the hair dryer or soldering gun methods.

Thanks all for your advice!

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:58 am
I watched the Nick Shabazz teardown video and it looks like the Para 3 pivot barrel itself is keyed on one side (in a D shape), but not the screws. Pretty sure the issue is the thread locker still. I was able to buy a replacement set of hardware on eBay, so I'll wait until that comes in and try either the hair dryer or soldering gun methods.

Thanks all for your advice!

All the D shape does is keep the pivot from spinning when you try to turn the screws. Back when they used the dome on one side like the old Military that was an important feature or you could end up with a pivot pin that spins when you turn the screw and you can't take the knife apart anymore. I have this issue on two Dragonflies because they don't have liners and the D shape of the FRN rounded out.
~David
PStone

Post by PStone »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:14 am
I don't recall ever seeing one that had a screw head that wasn't actually a screw? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the topic here. The Military had a dome head on one side and lots of knives were like that back in the day. I know for sure the screw I stripped is in fact a screw because I have another Caribbean that I've had both sides of the pivot out of.
The spydiechef has a “faux” torx head on a female pivot. At least mine did. So if one was to try and disassemble the knife, they have to know to only turn the show side pivot. Lock side will not turn. Maybe cqi changed that recently though.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:50 am
The Deacon wrote:
Hi Paul, the the newer Military’s have a “D” pivot pin and torx socket on both sides and the Advocate is the same too as is the PM2 I think. :)
Hi Bloke, I'm aware of those and, as already noted, those have two usable screws, so if you strip one it's not because of the D shaped central "nut", it's user error. What I was questioning was whether any of the models that use a single pivot screw that screws into a hollow "nut" that has one flat side to fit the D shaped holes in the liners had provision for a driver on both sides so that someone could inadvertently try to turn the D shaped hollow nut.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!