SHOT Show 2020 Videos and other info concerning new models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SSD_777

Re: SHOT Show 2020 Videos and other info concerning new models

Post by SSD_777 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:13 am
"Everything in the U.S. lineup will come in a rex 45 version at least for a sprint."

So we will get a rex 45 military?
Rex 45 Military was released in 2018.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Watched it last night and here are my thoughts.

So happy to see the Siren again right out of the gate, I can't wait for this one! It will fit great into my fishing knife rotation with the Native 5 Salt, Pac Salt and DF2 Salt. Hopefully we see it soon as it's past the 120 day mark from the last reveal. I know Eric said they were behind on it, so here's to seeing that sweetness sooner than later. I really like the shape, handle, blue liners and especially the LC200n.

I really like the color of the scales on the SPY27 knives, it's a lot more subdued in the vid than the previous pics. So now, not only am I excited about trying this new steel offering I really like the color of the scales. I might have to add the Native 5 LW to my list to go with the Para 3 LW.

I also really want to try the new diamond arc G10 scales on the PM2 and Para 3 with the S45VN steel. I'm not a HUGE fan of the green color of the scales but it could be worse. I'll try to grab one or the other, but probably the Para 3.

When the reveal was first released I was on the fence about the Watu, even though it has some of my favorite traits of a Spyderco knife (wire clip, CF and kind of a wharncliffe blade). Now, after watching Eric handle it, I'm no longer on the fence but all in on that model.

Now to the stuff I personally don't care for, YMMV. Even though I'm a sucker for orange knife scales I just can't get on the REX45 train. I don't like patina on my knives so I can cross those off my list. I guess it's a good thing they are all Sprint runs, makes me feel better about passing.

Sorry, but the Bombshell is just ugly, and finally, Tanto fail! I know I might catch slack for that, and yes I realize they have their place in the world for a useful blade shape but not for me. Congrats to anyone waiting on that one though!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

There's a few of us that are anti tanto... you're not alone!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The more I see the bombshell being handled in the videos, the more I like it. But Ive got alot of knives on my to get list and its definitely not cheap. Its a maybe.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JMM

Post by JMM »

Yeah, the first sprint batch of Rex45 a couple years back was just the PM2, Para3, and Military.... I feel fortunate to have a PM2 and Para3, I hope I can land a Shaman and Manix2... It's been my favourite Spydie steel since I laid hands on it.... Although I must confess 4v is really amazing stuff ;)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The PM2 tanto is an exclusive? Really?
Rex 45 on all US models...so should see Manix 2 XL eventually.
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:34 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:24 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:17 am
The BladeHQ Exclusive PM2 Tanto is going to sell out in 5 minutes probably

Exclusive?
BladeHQ announced it would be an exclusive during a live stream on instagram last night. :spyder:
So does that mean that neutral colored G10 they have used before? Is that all they use for their exclusives?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
I don't think it will last that long. Probably will make BHQ's server almost crash like it did at the Dodo launch.
I think it's a unfortunate decision to release it as a exclusive.. I can only imagine the endless harping in here from everyone who logged on 30 seconds after the release and missed it.
Oh well, maybe there will be more later in a different configuration.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:39 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I don't think it will last that long. Probably will make BHQ's server almost crash like it did at the Dodo launch.
I think it's a unfortunate decision to release it as a exclusive.. I can only imagine the endless harping in here from everyone who logged on 30 seconds after the release and missed it.
Oh well, maybe there will be more later in a different configuration.
Yeah, I’m inclined to agree.
However- if this knife sells out fast and there is demand, we’ll most certainly see more versions.
More blade steel options, handle options, a Para 3 version, etc.

If the S30v/black G-10 is a BHQ exclusive, it could almost be a sure thing that other dealer exclusives or sprint runs will be different steel and/or handle options?

Either way- given all the excitement on this around the internet, I don’t see this being a one time offering.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

That Astute is starting to grow on me... The Siren looks amazing
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

If the tanto is an exclusive, wouldn't that essentially be a first for Spyderco? It wouldn't be too far off from an exclusive Flash Batch. New design, produced in a limited quantity. Yes, the handle is not new but the blade is new.
Also with all the griping over exclusives and sprints selling out too fast, making a tanto version of your most popular model and making it an exclusive seems like a great way to frustrate a lot of customers.
Personally I think people complain too much over the scarcity of sprints and exclusives but in this case maybe not.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:23 pm
people complain too much over the scarcity of sprints and exclusives but in this case maybe not.
The only thing that makes me furious regarding sprints and exclusives are the scalpers who scoop up a huge amount of knives for the sole purpose of flipping them for profit, thus keeping people who actually want them from getting any. But that's been discussed to death already..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ABX2011 wrote:
If the tanto is an exclusive, wouldn't that essentially be a first for Spyderco? It wouldn't be too far off from an exclusive Flash Batch. New design, produced in a limited quantity. Yes, the handle is not new but the blade is new.
Also with all the griping over exclusives and sprints selling out too fast, making a tanto version of your most popular model and making it an exclusive seems like a great way to frustrate a lot of customers.
Personally I think people complain too much over the scarcity of sprints and exclusives but in this case maybe not.
The Kahr Arms delica was kind of like this. It was a distributor exclusive (so did go to multiple dealers), but used a different blade shape on the delica platform. And some dealers have commissioned entirely new exclusive models, like Ray Mears and the Wolfspyder.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Larry_Mott wrote:
ABX2011 wrote:
people complain too much over the scarcity of sprints and exclusives but in this case maybe not.
The only thing that makes me furious regarding sprints and exclusives are the scalpers who scoop up a huge amount of knives for the sole purpose of flipping them for profit, thus keeping people who actually want them from getting any. But that's been discussed to death already..
Do the scalpers and flippers watch the forums? What if everyone on here and bladeforums started pretending to hate every sprint and exclusive? Maybe they would not buy certain models and the regular folk could get them. Im just having a laugh at the thought of people on here talking about how much they "hate" a new release.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

VooDooChild
The only bullet proof way to stop the scalpers would be to let them get buried with their piles of knives unless they lower the price to actual price on launch + shipping..
(I liked your idea though :D dissing the new sprints all over the net )
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

So will we see the UKPK G10/FRN or the Manix XL in Rex45 as well?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I find the whole “scalper” thing and all the associated *****ing here an never ending source of amusement. :)

I reckon good luck to them! They’re not breaking any laws and we live in capitalist societies. The problem isn’t with the “scalpers”. They’re most likely average Joes trying to make a dollar. The problem lays with the kooks who have to have every new knife released, whether they need it or not, quite an unhealthy obsession, I reckon, and are prepared to pay the premium “scalpers” demand and then whine about it.

Quite bizarre! :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Exclusives aren't limited to a single run, so I'd think those of you wanting the BHQ exclusive tanto should be able to get one...eventually.
-Turbo
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bbturbodad wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:25 pm
Exclusives aren't limited to a single run, so I'd think those of you wanting the BHQ exclusive tanto should be able to get one...eventually.

BHQ doesn't rerun their exclusives. Best bet would be a second run of the tanto in DLC making it unique.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Trp2080

Post by Trp2080 »

Anyone else looking forward to a rex 45 yojimbo