SHOT Show 2020 Videos and other info concerning new models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: SHOT Show 2020 Videos and other info concerning new models

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:09 pm
What is a tanto good for? Serious question. Looks really cool. Interested in the Pacific 2. Guess we’ll never know Vivi’s option of it.
Well, I think he still prefers the Pac Salt 1, for the only thing that seemingly has changed is the handle from E3 to E4 shape... totally the opposite with me, for me that makes the Pac Sal even better.
Now imagine a linerless Endura 4 in serrated ffg... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Here's another one...and Eric gets bit by the Siren. :eek:

https://youtu.be/8ixjnk5nX88
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:52 pm
I think everyone's all juiced up on the tanto because it's something totally different from Spyderco. In actual use, it's not very useful. You really have to crank your wrist in uncomfortable way to utilize the tip to penetrate something , say cutting from above and pulling back. Just a different design. Amazing how easy it is to sucker some people in!

I never liked Tantos and never had one, but still I think you´re clearly missing something here:

1.) Long totally straight ("wharnie-like") section in the edge as opposed to the contionous curve in the regular PM2: This is what the Stretch has also, and for me it works better when cutting

2. Stronger tip: For me the regular PM2 never was an overly "harmonic" design, by having that really thick, overbuilt, "hard use" blade stock, but still a fragile tip you have to worry about when working fast and, well, in "hard use" scenarions

3.) Hollow grind: Not necessarely a plus of course (in fact I prefer ffg), but still a new option for the PM2 with certain great properties, if you want those.

So, conclusion: Don´t think people are "easily suckered in", but rather consider this different approach to the PM2 with its pros and cons and than like it or not.. ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Jazz wrote:
What is a tanto good for? Serious question. Looks really cool. Interested in the Pacific 2. Guess we’ll never know Vivi’s option of it.
I carried a tanto for almost 10 years and I never found it underperforming.
From military service to plain old hard blue collar work, my tanto never left me longing for a different blade shape. They’re tough as **** and can do things like prying, opening paint cans, using as a screwdriver, etc that I wouldn’t dream of trying with a standard leaf shape ffg.
(They actually work surprisingly well for skinning too. I dressed a goat in Afghanistan with one and the front flat blade angle was mint up in the cavity separating the diaphragm from rib cage, and the secondary point worked great for cutting the esophagus/ windpipe).

It wasn’t until I got on knife forums & social media that I saw Internet knife bros saying they aren’t good for edc tasks, only good for stabbing, etc. :rolleyes:
Don’t you believe it.
If you’re one of those guys who wants the thinnest blade possible and your main daily task is cutting open amazon boxes, then yeah, a thin ffg will work better (or better yet, just get a box cutter).
But for daily tasks and hard use, they’re great ime.

*Also worth noting is different makers make the blades in different variations, and most aren’t awesome. Some make chisel grind, most make the blades too thick, or too thick of a spine, etc. I’d venture that’s why some folks have had less than stellar performance.

But from what Eric talked about on this new design, I imagine it’s gonna cut like a demon.
He talked about it having a hollow grind on the belly and being thin bte(awesome!), a specific flat grind up front with a well thought out spine & a unique swedge. They’ve clearly put a lot of thought into this, and I think folks are gonna be pleasantly surprised with its performance.

And yes, it should be plenty stabby as well :D
Tims

Post by Tims »

Anyone else notice the quality of the ‘snap’ on that Siren when opened?

Music to my ears :D
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Tims wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:52 am
Anyone else notice the quality of the ‘snap’ on that Siren when opened?

Music to my ears :D
I bet Wayne Goddard smiles in heaven seeing the Siren.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:45 am
Here's another one...and Eric gets bit by the Siren. :eek:

https://youtu.be/8ixjnk5nX88

Well, and that despite he´d know (and even performs) all the other backlock one handed closing methods, where he´d never get cut... ;)

AND after stating (quoting Eric): "If you´re looking for a knife that´s gonna perform when you need it, a backlock is tough to beat" - very true!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Jazz wrote:
What is a tanto good for? Serious question.

Haunted House wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:25 am
I dressed a goat in Afghanistan
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I might be the only one, but, the tanto doesn’t do anything for me. Honestly, I think it ruins the lines of the PM2. If it had a more chiseled handle maybe it would appeal more, but I feel it’s trying to be something it’s not. On a different note, being a BHQ exclusive solidifies my choice not to get one because I won’t do business with them anymore.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Man, super pumped for how soon we may see that tanto PM2! I usually recommend the Shaman to folks who use (and sometimes abuse) their knives, as I know that the Shaman will take everything you throw at it.

But sometimes the Shaman doesn't fit well in a person's hands, and they need something smaller. I'd recommend the PM2, but its delicate tip makes it hard to recommend to a person who has snapped the tip off knives before. The tanto PM2 could potentially open up a whole new market segment!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:07 am
Man, super pumped for how soon we may see that tanto PM2! I usually recommend the Shaman to folks who use (and sometimes abuse) their knives, as I know that the Shaman will take everything you throw at it.

But sometimes the Shaman doesn't fit well in a person's hands, and they need something smaller. I'd recommend the PM2, but its delicate tip makes it hard to recommend to a person who has snapped the tip off knives before. The tanto PM2 could potentially open up a whole new market segment!

Right, imho the stouter tip fits the rather thick PM2 bladestock well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:

I'm probably the only guy here that isn't at all interested in this knife. Typically the point is thicker and tougher so they excel at hard penetration situations but it puts the tip way too high for my liking.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The BladeHQ Exclusive PM2 Tanto is going to sell out in 5 minutes probably
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:17 am

Exclusive?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:24 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Exclusive?

Unfortunately yes... Eric even shows it only in the BHQ vid, not in the KC vid (in THAT instead the sun and moon Chap...:))
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:24 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Exclusive?
BladeHQ announced it would be an exclusive during a live stream on instagram last night. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
But wouldn't it be crazy to put all the work, time and effort in designing the Tanto Blade for just ONE run of Exclusives? I mean that's something different than "just" taking another steel or change the handle color on a regular PM2...

I think there are more Tanto PM2s to come...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

"Everything in the U.S. lineup will come in a rex 45 version at least for a sprint."

So we will get a rex 45 military?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Making the tanto an exclusive would be a really big bummer for international folks like myself.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:13 am
"Everything in the U.S. lineup will come in a rex 45 version at least for a sprint."

So we will get a rex 45 military?

I'm sure that was a bit of an exaggeration. I don't see them making a Rex45 Autonomy and it's made in Golden..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David